Wooden RENOVO R1 road bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

astranoc

by astranoc

Agree, shiny stem and brooks leather tape will make it perfect.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

It is slowly coming together.

Cannot wait for your ride review...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

A C

by A C

Beautiful.

You can change over to Alu parts for the cockpit relatively easily.

VO makes some nice stems that will match the Dura Ace.
Nitto makes a great bar to match as well.

Agree with other posters, you need matching Brooks tape. The fork I would change, but don't know to what.

Absolutely great build.
Colnago Zabel Master - Parlee Z5 - Cannondale Tandem - Ibis Mojo - Civia Loring w/wood fenders

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I needed a shorter stem anyway, as the Deda was too long for, so I went ahead and ordered a new stem yesterday. It is a Spin Monolithic titanium stem, which I plan to get polished to a mirror finish. For the tape being I will keep the fork and bar tape as they are, but in the next couple of weeks I do plan to remove the logo's from the Easton fork.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I have been using the Renovo for a couple of weeks now and I have done around 500 kilometres on it during that time. First impressions:

If you would have asked me what the best thing about the bike was a week ago, I would have said the wheels. However, after the Liege-Bastonge-Liege (LBL) grand fondo last Saturday, I am going to say it's the frame.

The wheels have been great in dry weather. They smooth out just about any bad road surface and braking performance is equal to that of most carbon wheels. Needles to say the DA hubs run ridiculously smooth. They do have one down side though, one that I discovered during LBL. On the day I rode LBL it rained and snowed almost the whole time. These wet circumstances, combined with sand from the road getting in my brake pads, made the rims wear extremely fast. The brake track is currently showing bare wood so I will stop using the wheels until I hear from Cerchi Ghisallo for a solution for this problem. Wooden rims in dry weather or with disc brakes = great fun and smooth sailing; wooden rims in the wet Belgium Ardennes + sand = very fast wearing rims

The smoothing effect of the frame does not compare to that of the wooden rims. However, the ride characteristics of the frame are very similar to those of a modern steel frames. It is plenty stiff and it absorbs a lot of road vibration. The best thing however is the way it looks! On the road everybody keeps asking me if the frame is really wood and people keep taking pictures 8)

Giving the fact that the groupset dates back to 1998 (or 1999) I though shifting would be much less smooth than I was accustomed to with modern Shimano, SRAM en Campagnolo groupsets. Fortunately this is not the case. Shifting performance is great, aside from the fact that I only have 9 cogs to shift. Ergonomics unfortunately have improved over the years.

On good thing did come from LBL: the Brooks Swift and I finally became friends. The first 200-300 kilometres were pretty much a torture, but during LBL the saddle finally started to break in. If this is a sign of things to come I just might start to fall in love with this saddle.

yeaitsdave

by yeaitsdave

So I guess I can say I'm impressed. The bike is beautiful and I didn't expect to hear such a positive about the ride quality. I'm not a big early adopter of alternative materials, I'm big on waiting and hearing everyone's response. So awesome to hear the feedback, shame about the wheels...

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The bike was featured in the May issue of my favourite Dutch cycling magazine 'Fiets'.

The photographer was kind enough to send me some pictures of the photo shoot and of the magazine it was featured in. I hope you like them. You can find high resolution pictures on my Flickr photostream.

cheeseunit

by cheeseunit

ABSOLUTLEY STUNNING!!!SUPERIOR CRAFTSMANSHIP :beerchug:

pmr

by pmr

Rolling piece of art. Absolutely gorgeous.

astranoc

by astranoc

This is really wow.. Before this I 've never thought that I would want to ride a wooden bike, but now I do!

Pessin218

by Pessin218

Gorgeous!

LiveFastRideHard

by LiveFastRideHard

Loved the bike before, but the professional pictures really show the craftsmanship and thought that went into building the bike. Well done and love the Dura Ace 25, very jealous.
Felt DA(RIP), Look 595, Merlin CR Works, Calfee Tetra Pro, Moots Vamoots

GramStrong
Resident Pro

by GramStrong

looks great! the rear brake pad shoes are facing backward

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

This week I could finally pick up the new stem for my bike. I really needed a new one, since the old one was a bit to long for my back. However, because I wanted something special it took a while to get it the way I wanted.

The new stem is a Spin Monolithic titanium stem. I my opinion the stem itself looks great and it is about the cheapest titanium stem available. I was not a fan of the bulky faceplate though and of course it had to be polished to match the look of the other components on the bike.

The company I asked to do the polishing for me, was also able to drill a hole in the faceplate the size of the Spin logo. In my opinion the end result looks great.

@GramStrong: thank for the tip.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Here a some pictures of the bike with its new rims. To replace the damaged Ghisallo rims I decided to order H Plus Son Archetype 23mm rims. I had them laced in a snowflake pattern.

Image[/img]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com