Looking to buy a SuperSix and get it under 16lbs on a budget

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

I'm looking at buying a 56cm SuperSix sometime later this year (probably nov or dec). I already own a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elites on my current bike that I could just move over.

The database isn't all that clear on what the Cannondale C2 or C3 parts (handlebar/stem/seatpost/etc) weigh, so I'm not exactly sure how much weight I would need to drop off of a 105 or Rival model for instance. Since I have yet to buy the bike, but already have those wheels, what kind of a mess am I getting myself into? Obviously the Rival would start lighter than the 105 (additionally, the rival has C2 everything and the 105 has C3 everything).

I don't think I'm a serious enough rider to warrant an EVO, or maybe even a hollowgram, but if the price is right I'm all about it. I've seen a few threads on here about SuperSixs any lots of people were happy with what they did, but I'm wondering from someone who has yet to buy the bike, which direction would you go?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Podunk

by Podunk

MixMastaPJ wrote:I'm looking at buying a 56cm SuperSix sometime later this year (probably nov or dec). I already own a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elites on my current bike that I could just move over.

The database isn't all that clear on what the Cannondale C2 or C3 parts (handlebar/stem/seatpost/etc) weigh, so I'm not exactly sure how much weight I would need to drop off of a 105 or Rival model for instance. Since I have yet to buy the bike, but already have those wheels, what kind of a mess am I getting myself into? Obviously the Rival would start lighter than the 105 (additionally, the rival has C2 everything and the 105 has C3 everything).

I don't think I'm a serious enough rider to warrant an EVO, or maybe even a hollowgram, but if the price is right I'm all about it. I've seen a few threads on here about SuperSixs any lots of people were happy with what they did, but I'm wondering from someone who has yet to buy the bike, which direction would you go?

I have a thread on my SuperSix Rival and I've detailed what I did. Nothing major. Little things here and there.
I just found this forum so I'm not really a veteran WW by any means. I just wanted a somewhat lighter bike and like to tinker.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently it's 15.98 pounds.
In a nutshell:
Lightened: Wheels, tires, tubes, saddle, seatpost clamp, skewers, titanium Speedplay spindles (roughly $900)
Added weight: Double wireless computer, 2 carbon fiber bottle cages, Speedplay Zero's

I'm debating getting a seatpost to drop it down even farther. My bike is a 54cm though so lighter than the one you would get.
Also debating handlbars. I wouldn't replace the stem. It's pretty light as it is.

Other people suggested going about it a totally different way that I did but I just wasn't prepared to do that yet.
Last edited by Podunk on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

My Supersix is exactly 15lbs...of course, I just got a new frame and my current one is in a box now on the garage floor.

Basically, all SRAM Red components, alloy stem/handlebars, carbon seatpost, Zipp 303 FC Tubulars, with speedplay zero stainless pedals and garmin 500 computer all mounted, 15lbs exactly.

So, it can be done, big area of weight, is the wheels. Next is components. I could have easily had it 14.7lb range if I just switched to a lighter stem/handlebars/seat a some lightweight brakes.

Look around for component group weights and get a spreadsheet going of your potential build, put the weights in and add it up...take it from there.

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

I'm sure it's missing plenty, but there's a spreadsheet I was able to throw together off of various weights I found. (Lots of it off of your's, Podunk! Thanks for the help!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av3M3PiNKgJRdENyZWcyX3dnQVJmSC1tY0hXZTIzNnc

What kind of things am I omitting, I'm fairly certain my bike will not be that light right out of the box.

eordman

by eordman

My 44cm C3 handlebars came in at 328g and the 110mm C3 stem at 134g

ms6073

by ms6073

buy a SuperSix and get it under 16lbs on a budget

Doesn't that violate a basic WW principle, i.e. durable, light, cheap - pick two?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

I figured durable would have been a CAAD10 8)

Podunk

by Podunk

MixMastaPJ wrote:I figured durable would have been a CAAD10 8)

I'd be curious to see what your weights are and what you

I didn't get a scale until after I made some modifications so I don't know the exact weights of the things on that list. You may want to weigh your own.

What I did was try and calculate my best bang for buck so I calculated the cost/weight savings. Anything close to $1 per gram I purchased.

For example my Mavic skewers were 122 grams total (roughly) and Titanium ones were 37 grams. That's an 85 gram savings for about $60.
60/85 = 0.70 per gram saved.

ticou

by ticou

Firstly, make sure your under 14 stone. Pharma Lotto use Elites to train on, so their good enough for me, and the crappy roads, so I'd go, if you must, for ti skewers rather than fork out a 2nd mortgage on carbon wheels, instead. And wot's wrong with 16lbs? I ride a steel with chorus and elites and it's 18lbs, which is mega light as far as i'm concerned. For steel that is. Spend the moolah on ceramic-fying yer transmission, rather than new wheels. Campag Cult seems to be the best /most durable- if you must imitate Bertie and other pro's then Ultimate Ceramic bearings will set you back around £620 all round.

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

16lbs just seems like a reachable number with this frame without spending a ton. I like the ksyrium elites right now on my aluminum bike, so I'm happy to move those over.

It looks like the 105 is out of the question at this point, the rival drivetrain should be able to get me there if I just play it smart with:

a stem
handlebars (planetx? I live in the states, so I don't know how that affects $$)
seatpost
saddle
skewers (how about Token TK480 Road Ti QR Quick Release Skewers 45g Black? ebay search it, since links to it aren't allowed)

How about the steering tube/headset is there a ton of savings to be had there? or is it negligible and just worth leaving alone?

Podunk

by Podunk

MixMastaPJ wrote:16lbs just seems like a reachable number with this frame without spending a ton. I like the ksyrium elites right now on my aluminum bike, so I'm happy to move those over.

It looks like the 105 is out of the question at this point, the rival drivetrain should be able to get me there if I just play it smart with:

a stem
handlebars (planetx? I live in the states, so I don't know how that affects $$)
seatpost
saddle
skewers (how about Token TK480 Road Ti QR Quick Release Skewers 45g Black? ebay search it, since links to it aren't allowed)

How about the steering tube/headset is there a ton of savings to be had there? or is it negligible and just worth leaving alone?

I don't think a stem is a good purchase if you think about cost/weight. Can you do better than 120 grams...and if so at what cost?

My Token Ti skewers were 37 grams for the pair. I think that's worth it.

If you look at my situation I am just a tad under 16 pounds and your bike is a 56cm vs my 54cm.
I spent about 900 bucks to get there.

If you bought the 105 you'd save a few hundred bucks. You're ditching the wheels anyway...Go out and buy SRAM Red and toss your Ksyrium Elite's on there. Sell your un-used 105.

seandonovan

by seandonovan

I'm right at 17lbs (just a handful of grams over). 52cm, Rival, aluminum WCS bar and stem, 200g Specialized saddle, Shimano 105 Pedals (not light...). To drop another pound, I could swap the wheelset for a Stan's wheelset, skewers for... well, anything, and seatpost for a Thompson Masterpiece. I still haven't even looked at remotely lightweight pedals or the groupset yet (2012 Red in a year or two?). It started off at just over 18lbs with pedals, Aksiums, computer, cages.

Don't worry, it ought to be pretty easy to get it down to 16.

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

hmmmm never thought about selling the wheels. I was considering just keeping the aksiums and putting them on the aluminum bike for training/rain days.

Is SRAM Red really that necessary though? I mean, you got your bike down to 16 without even touching the rival drivetrain right?

Theoretically I could follow your blueprint, and just have to make up the difference between the 54cm and 56cm frame, and the difference in our wheels and I should be able to get there. Most weights don't include pedals or cages anyhow, so I could take off another ~300g just from that ;)

So I'm thinking, when the bike is purchased, I need to get:
1. skewers
2. saddle
3. light tires on the ksyriums
4. cut/replace seatpost depending on how much more I need.

Is there any free weight dangling on a xtra tall steering tube I could cut?

eordman

by eordman

I'm not sure if it's the case with the supersix but my CAAD10 came with a heavy expander and top cap contraption. It's not the most flashy part to replace but IIRC the stock set up was 48 grams. A Tune Gum Gum or Extralite Ultrastar 2 expander paired with any number of lightweight top cap and bolt could drop a chunk of weight. The trick might be finding them as it looks like fair wheel is out of stock. I'm not sure of other places you could look

Podunk

by Podunk

MixMastaPJ wrote:hmmmm never thought about selling the wheels. I was considering just keeping the aksiums and putting them on the aluminum bike for training/rain days.

Is SRAM Red really that necessary though? I mean, you got your bike down to 16 without even touching the rival drivetrain right?

Theoretically I could follow your blueprint, and just have to make up the difference between the 54cm and 56cm frame, and the difference in our wheels and I should be able to get there. Most weights don't include pedals or cages anyhow, so I could take off another ~300g just from that ;)

So I'm thinking, when the bike is purchased, I need to get:
1. skewers
2. saddle
3. light tires on the ksyriums
4. cut/replace seatpost depending on how much more I need.

Is there any free weight dangling on a xtra tall steering tube I could cut?

You could however you want to think about the cost. $900 to do so. If you buy the Rival for 2500 you're at about 3400.

The other scenario:
If you buy a 105 bike for 2k (instead of the rival for 2500) you'll save $500.
Sell the 105 groupset for 600
Sell the wheels for 150
Now you've only spent 1250 on the bike. (Or hell if you just buy the frame for cheaper...but let's not talk about that)

Spend 1800 on SRAM Red and you're at $3000
Toss your wheels on.
Now you still have $400 in your pocket for things like skewers, saddle, seatpost, etc.

You could follow my blueprint but you'd run out of areas to drop weight.
My wheels are 1350grams so 200 grams lighter than yours. You have to make that up somewhere and that's going to cost you money.
After the saddle, seatpost, seatpost clamp, skewers, handlebars...the only place you can save weight are the components.

I'm not saying it can't be done...but for the amount that you spend you may be better off just buying a better and lighter groupset.

By the way if you do figure out a cheap way of lightening the bike even more I'd like to know. I want mine down to 15.5 without breaking the bank more than I already have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com