SRM Calibration help needed.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

Hi All

I've tried searching for a solution everywhere but to no avail. I'm using a Cannondale SiSL Compact SRM with a Garmin 500. It's under reporting by around 6% based on numerous Powertaps - maybe more.

Using the Garmin calibration screen I can get it to read a slope of 19.1. The sticker says 18.2 I believe. I cannot then modify the slope as I put in the digits and it says that the process has failed. There are three digits yet the Garmin 500 is running the latest firmware 2.80.

All in all a bit flummoxed as to how to get this thing reading correctly. Any help greatly appreciated.

airwise

by airwise

Thanks for the PM's.

Finally found solutions on another forum so mods feel free to close or remove this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Or at least post the information here before it is locked so others can benefit?

devinci

by devinci

airwise wrote:Thanks for the PM's.

Finally found solutions on another forum so mods feel free to close or remove this.

Way to use a forum? Thats selfish, share the good info with us all

Geoff

by Geoff

You can always just borrow a mate's PC7!

ms6073

by ms6073

airwise wrote:I cannot then modify the slope as I put in the digits and it says that the process has failed. There are three digits yet the Garmin 500 is running the latest firmware 2.80.

My experience was that simply waking up the SRM was insufficient as I had to keep pedaling until the Garmin 500/800 indicated that the slope had been updated.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

airwise

by airwise

That's what I found Michael - along with having to move the Garmin around the bottom bracket area continuously until it finally managed to communicate. Odd.

Geoff. Might get a PC7 after this - I'm far from convinced of the reliability of the 500 particularly using GPS.

ms6073

by ms6073

airwise wrote:move the Garmin around the bottom bracket area continuously until it finally managed to communicate.

Our bikes are ISP and since I have spare mounts for the Garmin, I simply use the supplied o-rings/mount to secure the Garmin to the beam of my Park PR-21 stand. As for reliability, other than an occasional issue with the popup warning for multiple HR or power meters, mine has been very reliable and I while I do not have a SRM PC VII, I still prefer the Garmin 500 at nearly 1/3 of the price of a PC VII along with the ability to calibrate/update the slope when compared to the my PC VI.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Geoff

by Geoff

Here's a funny story. Some people that I know who are paid to use the Garmin train with the PC7 in their pocket and download the data from that later...

ms6073

by ms6073

I am guessing this has something to do with the fact that being a simpler device, the PCVII is somewhat easier to use in terms useability with no worries of it locking up or droping/losing power data which has been an issue for some with the Garmin devices.
- Michael

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

ms6073 wrote:I am guessing this has something to do with the fact that being a simpler device, the PCVII is somewhat easier to use in terms useability with no worries of it locking up or droping/losing power data which has been an issue for some with the Garmin devices.

Not with mine (after 2 years of use).

Just sold my PC7: I am sticking to my edge 500: It really bothers me that you cannot setup the screens on the PC like you want to...