Anyone tested/ridden Eclipse Microsystems 29g Tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Sounds like they are not out yet, but wondering if anyone has ridden them?

tcramer

by tcramer

BUMP!

Any reviews/experienses so far?

Seems like the perfect weight weenie upgrade. Pricey, but lot of grams can be saved.
Bring the mountains to Denmark!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

donald

by donald

I have been using them for about two months, not a lot of miles on them yet but I have had no problems. They retain air better than a latex tube. They are pricy, which many people feel is a little to expensive for a tube.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

i'm using 50g conti supersonic. not too expensive & so far so good for me.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

mjduct

by mjduct

tcramer wrote:BUMP!

Any reviews/experienses so far?

Seems like the perfect weight weenie upgrade. Pricey, but lot of grams can be saved.

and in the most relevant area...

I'm doing good with my Vredesteins but when they need to go I might be willing to go lighter!

tcramer

by tcramer

donald wrote:I have been using them for about two months, not a lot of miles on them yet but I have had no problems. They retain air better than a latex tube. They are pricy, which many people feel is a little to expensive for a tube.

Thanks for the info. Have you tried them on descends? I would really like to give them a go, but a little worried about high speed punctures etc.

by 2011

If something it sharp enough to get completely thru your thick tire to the tube... it's almost certainly going to puncture the tube, regardless of the weight of tube. I'd be more concerned with surface wear around the valve stem other spots inside the rim.

Also... at around $67.00 per tube, for a weight savings of only 20 grams over the Supersonics which are $14 bucks... that's quite expensive per/gram.

Anyway... I don't think they have really hit the market yet, and I saw their site at least a year or so ago.

tcramer

by tcramer

Well, I think they have hit the market, atleast here in Denmark and we are usually not in front of rest of Europe. I have 2 and both came in at 32 grams, which is pretty close to the claimed 29 gram.

Good point about wear, these will not be for every day use i guess.

The valve has kind of a big alloy head where it's connected with the tube so don't suppose there will be wear issues there.

The price is extreme, but if you break it down to price per gram saved compared to Michelin Latex or similar it's quiet good. I have read too many negative reviews of the super sonic tubes to consider them.

My biggest fear is that their very thin nature will result in a blow up on a descend like it was sometimes reported in the early days with latex tubes. But hope these swiss guys have done their homework :D

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Anyway... I don't think they have really hit the market yet, and I saw their site at least a year or so ago.

As a company they have been around for seven years at least. They're main line is MTB and other off road disciplines which may explain the lsow penetration of the "Road" market.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

My biggest fear is that their very thin nature will result in a blow up on a descend like it was sometimes reported in the early days with latex tubes.

Early days? Latex inner tubes haven't changed so the danger still exists just the same.

Also, I wonder about how low the Crr really is. They claim lower Crr but compared to what?

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

tcramer

by tcramer

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

My biggest fear is that their very thin nature will result in a blow up on a descend like it was sometimes reported in the early days with latex tubes.

Early days? Latex inner tubes haven't changed so the danger still exists just the same.

Also, I wonder about how low the Crr really is. They lower Crr but compared to what?

Ciao, ;)

Well, just seems a while ago that anyone has reported latex blow ups on descends, atleast to my knowledge. I have been riding latex tubes in the mountains many years now without problems.

I have also wondered what they compare the Crr to. Doubt that there is much difference compared to latex and not sure which will be best in that aspect.

tcramer

by tcramer

Back from 9 days of riding around Lake Garda in Italy, lots of climbing and descending.

The tubes held up fine. I even did some extra braking to push things, but they went ok.

But must admit though that I couldn't really tell the difference from the 52 grams (per tube) heavier latex tubes they replaced 8)

Did not have time to do some back to back testing.

thprice

by thprice

Eclipse tubes have often been both expensive and difficult to obtain.
That may have changed to some degree ...

have fun

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deermatt

by deermatt

If they were $20 a piece, I could see them being a possible option.. at almost $70, no way when a 55-60g supersonic tube can be had for $12.