Benefits of an integrated seatpost if any?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RMcC

by RMcC

Im looking into buying a new frame and am just wondering what the benefits of an integrated seatpost are if any before deciding which way to go, or are there more benefits as to not having your seatpost integrated.

Thanks

WasFab

by WasFab

RMcC wrote:Im looking into buying a new frame and am just wondering what the benefits of an integrated seatpost are if any before deciding which way to go, or are there more benefits as to not having your seatpost integrated.

Thanks

In my experience it's great usually they come on the high end frames so the all package feels better to my opinion I'm riding cento uno and the ride is smooths and great better than anything else I road with seatpost both size 27.2 and 31.6.
If you need to cut it no issue and I don't think it is limiting the after sell as people anyhow looks for the frame in there size so it's always fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

billspreston

by billspreston

Appearance

Aside from that I can really only think of negatives.

by 2011

Seriously, if someone ass can tell the difference between the "feel" of a carbon seatpost, and a carbon tube minus the seatclamp... they are full of BS. There's no real way to feel THAT great of a difference between the two. A change in 5psi tire inflation could be felt more than a carbon post vs. integrated post, but even then... it's mainly what's perceived in the persons head. We've been TOLD that an integrated post may have more benefits, so we trick ourselves into feeling it.

Personally, I see the only real benefit of integrated posts... is looks. Aesthetically, it looks cleaner and more slick. However, on the negative side... once cut down, you possibly drop the resale value of the frameset for anyone that would need the post longer.

Regarding weight savings... there are plenty of lightweight posts/seatclamps on the market to actually claim that an integrated post is lighter. In some cases, they are heavier, due to the large seatmass piece that must attach to the top.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

looks and saddle wont slip down, apart from that nothing

kgt

by kgt

IME there are advantages in an integrated seatpost design if the hole frame is well designed. I also have a cento uno (integrated) and have had (and still have) various frames with regular seatposts carbon, ti or alu, 27,2 or 31,6. I really like the feeling of the integrated seatpost design especially when climbing. It makes the hole bike feel more compact and stiff when seated. I personally do not like the feeling of a flexy seatpost at all. I think carbon frames should be comfortable due to their seatstays and chainstays design not due to a flexy seatpost.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages (if there are any). I see no functional advantage and I actually prefer the look of a regular seat post. I also like traditional framesets (non-sloping), so there isn't a huge amount of seat post to "flex", not that they do. But for someone like me, who travels often with his bike, the overriding consideration is getting the frame in a bike box. I ride a fairly large frame (61 Colnago) and it barely fits in my bike box as the limiting structure is the top of the seat cluster lug. If it were an integrated seat post design then packing the bike for airline travel would be very difficult at best.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

I'm another satisfied Cento Uno rider who rode bikes w/ standard seat posts for 30+ years before I got the Wilier. I can't tell any difference in feel between the ISP and standard seat posts, maybe others can, although I appreciate the possibility in concept and the potential benefit ISP offers in frame integrity. Consequently, I like the look of an ISP better, but that's purely subjective opinion. Weight-wise I suspect it makes little difference if one has a light weight topper in comparison to a high-end standard seat post and clamp. I don't care about resale yet I suspect potential buyers of such frames will know their size/fit requirements so the ISP won't be much of an issue. I knew mine well enough that cutting the ISP to my ideal height was never a concern, and unless one has a very unusual fit preference, most riders will likely cut the seat mast to pretty close the same height given the general frame size. IMO Wilier designed its ISP right in that one can always cut it down to any desired length and insert a standard seat post if need be. I ride a small frame so traveling w/it isn't a problem. Locally, I take off the front wheel and can comfortably fit the bike in the backseat of any standard size 4-door sedan/saloon such as my Honda Accord. No problem. Or I lay it down in the back of my Honda Fit (daughter now drives the Accord). So, I'm a fan of ISPs, especially the way Wilier does it.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

luckysix

by luckysix

You can have some clever designs not otherwise possible. Look's E-post comes to mind.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

ISP's are better performing: lighter weight and greater comfort.

But they are not very practical if you want to re-sell or take your bike on a plane.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:popcorn:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

To date, the only integrated post I've seen that has significant benefits over the traditional ones is the Look E-Post with its selectable elastomeric dampers. :roll:

Rippin

by Rippin

bikedoc wrote:looks and saddle wont slip down, apart from that nothing

This... and I have a Look ISP bike which rides great.
Honestly, I couldn't tell any ride difference between an ISP and regular seatpost.

..and the Look ISP isn't lighter. The ISP head alone is 200 grams. Add to that the amount of carbon extending from the seat tube and you have a combined weight that is equal to or heavier than many high-end seatposts and seatpost clamps. Regardless, the bike rides so nicely.

Agreed, traveling with an ISP bike could be a pain. Get a Ritchey Break-Away for that ;)
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

racermech

by racermech

My mountain bike is ISP, and steel. Reason I did it...looks....pure looks. Does it ride better or worse??? could not tell you. But I LOVE the look of it. Next road frame.....yup ISP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SL58

by SL58

I will never have a bike with seatpost again after 4 years on ISP.
Removing and replacing saddle takes seconds, no alignment needed.
No stupid seatpost lock collecting dirt, no slipping, no flex
-clean and simple design.
Do not forget that it cost 100gr. for frame post interface.