Reasonably Cheap turbo trainer wheel with 10 speed free hub

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

staminator

by staminator

RMcC wrote:I just thought it would be easier and save time changing the rear wheel rather than a tyre every time I was going to use the trainer.

I've read about wearing out normal tyres on a trainer but never experienced this with the michelin pro 3's I was using at the time. I've since switched tyres and don't want to wear them out.

Back to my earlier problem about the cassette not fitting, all is now fine. Thanks for all the help.
Good idea. I think I will do the same. :beerchug:
2012 Trek 1.1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I keep all my old tires and put them back on the rear wheel for the LOOOOONNG (like Geoff wrote earlier) trainer season.
I'm using a Michelin Lithion I got on the new bike 4 yrs ago, right now.

If you absolutely want a cheap rear wheel, I think Planet X bikes has some dirt cheap ones.

LOuis :)

mrfish

by mrfish

+1 on the R500 / R550. Bombroof wheels and actually ride very well. They take 10 speed and are a total bargain at rrp. Double bargain if you can get them second hand.

Regarding tyre wear it depends on the turbo trainer and how much time you spend on it. My Elite with a grooved plastic roller would eat tyres, whereas my newer Tackx with a smooth metal roller doesn't significantly wear tyres and is fine to ride with Vittorias, Veloflex etc...

dmp

by dmp

I also have a dedicated trainer wheel (putting the trainer tire on was about the hardest thing I ever had to do on a bike- they are tight as hell!- and I can't imagine changing the tire back and forth). I just bought a cheap used wheel on craigslist or ebay (forgot which). I think it cost all of $40-50 including shipping.

staminator

by staminator

dmp wrote:I also have a dedicated trainer wheel (putting the trainer tire on was about the hardest thing I ever had to do on a bike- they are tight as hell!- and I can't imagine changing the tire back and forth). I just bought a cheap used wheel on craigslist or ebay (forgot which). I think it cost all of $40-50 including shipping.

This is good to know! Less than I would have thought...
2012 Trek 1.1