Bottom Bracket question for Quarq

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Hi all,

Just got hold of an SRAM S975 Quarq and I'm struggling a bit with the current BB in my bike. I was led to believe that the Quarq will work with Shimano GXP bottom brackets but mine doesn't seem to fit properly.

My problem is basically, when the crankset is fully tightened, the axle moves around in the BB. I've tried various spacers which solve the problem to some extent, although only because the non-drive side is then pressing tighter against the BB bearings. As soon as I apply any kind of torque to the crankset, the problem reoccurs.

At the moment I'm using a Shimano 105 5700 BB.

Would replacing the BB with this do any good?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... RAMBTBR220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any suggestions?
Last edited by kevinkalis on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

ajh

by ajh

The crank will only work with SRAM GXP bb's

The crank relies on the non drive bearing to have a smaller inside diameter to hold the system in place. Shimano and has the same diameter so it will not work.

SRAM bb's are pretty cheap so it is an easy fix

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Good times, so I'm right in assuming this BB will do the trick?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... RAMBTBR220
K2

ajh

by ajh

Yes

shampoo

by shampoo

I use the Chris King GXP BB on two different bikes. No issues. Let me know if you get it and need help with the spacers.

J

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Picked up an SRAM BB yesterday. Everything seems to fit properly, I'll take it out for a test today.

On a side note, does it say explicitly anywhere that one needs a special type of BB, because I think they could've made that a bit more clear
K2

shampoo

by shampoo

kevinkalis wrote:Picked up an SRAM BB yesterday. Everything seems to fit properly, I'll take it out for a test today.

On a side note, does it say explicitly anywhere that one needs a special type of BB, because I think they could've made that a bit more clear

I've used the SRAM GXP.. It does the trick but I've blown out two of them. But they are cheap.

Quarq I don't think specifically says you have to get a GXP BB but they do say it's a GXP type crankset.. Just like they say some of their cranksets are BB30.. But if you don't follow this stuff closely, I can see how that would mean nothing to you..

J

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

They don't really need to say explicitly that it needs a special BB, simply because it's a SRAM crank. All SRAM (and Truvativ, Bontrager, etc.) outboard-bearing cranks require a GXP-standard BB. Conversely, all Shimano (and FSA, Raceface, etc.) require a Shimano-standard BB. Neither company's cranks will work on the other's BBs, and vice versa.

Who led you to believe that a SRAM crank would work with a Shimano BB?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com