Bike fitting before off-the-peg/custom build? London

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

iamalex

by iamalex

Do people here reckon that a good bike fit session will really help me pick the best fitting new frameset?
If so can you recommend a reputable one in London - Bike Whisperer? Pearson? Condor?

I'm looking at either an off the peg low-end Ti frame or a custom steel.
If I know exactly what I'm after dimensionally I guess that would make a secondhand Ti frame easier to choose.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr_tim

by mr_tim

How about http://bespokecycling.com/our-services

Condor last time I looked didn't do scientific fitting & I think used to send ppl to cyclefit (but that maybe that it just a rumour I heard).

http://cyclefit.co.uk/the-cyclefit have re-started doing bike fits now the economy isn't so great (they only offered fits as part of a bike purchase back around 2-3yrs ago).

I've heard some positive things about the bike-whisperer but its not as scientifically based as the two above.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

mr_tim wrote:How about http://bespokecycling.com/our-services

Condor last time I looked didn't do scientific fitting & I think used to send ppl to cyclefit (but that maybe that it just a rumour I heard).

http://cyclefit.co.uk/the-cyclefit have re-started doing bike fits now the economy isn't so great (they only offered fits as part of a bike purchase back around 2-3yrs ago).

Nope. I suspect hell would freeze over before that happens.

ticou

by ticou

Bike fitting, Jig fitments or full made to measure,isn't all it's made to be. It only offers a 800% improvement across all areas, and I used to love having a sore back after 30 miles on my old off the goldarn making innapropriate connubial acts with yer mum cxxxing OFF THE CXXXXNG PEG!!!! er, bike.

NS

by NS

You do not need a bike fit to buy an off the peg frame. Any half decent bike shop will put you on the right size frame. Getting your saddle and bars in the right place well maybe yes, a full custom frame I'd expect it free.

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks for all the responses,

I'll pop over the river and have to chat to Bespoke/ Condor/ Cyclefit and see what they can offer.

I've got plenty of holiday to use up so planning to take some and do some serious test riding of the different bikes (frames) on offer. If after that I'm still struggling that's when I plan to maybe have a fit or look more at custom steel.

I'd really like titanium but the budget is going to stretch to standard frames only, no custom builds.

stuartrc

by stuartrc

I had a bike fit at Bespoke cycling - they use the retul system so you get some decent data out of the session.

Be careful there though - they are stockists for both Parlee and Independent Fabrication so you can walk out with a big credit card bill

editted to add - I found the fitting very useful

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

If you're serious about having a comprehensive bike fit, then Bike Whisperer are fantastic. Couldn't be happier with my experience. They'll also give you incredibly detailed measurements to take away (as well as setting up your cleats/ shoes, etc.)- which means that any of the shops you mentioned will be able to advise on the perfect frame size.

http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/

One thing that Condor don't publicise well is that they are very happy to take on custom commisions. For example, on the Acciaio (lightweight steel), they only charge £150 extra for custom geometry and full custom paint. They'll also consider using different tubing, etc. if you really want to customise your frame. They're built by Deddaciai in Italy. Apologies if this sounds like an advert, but I've been looking at their frames and have done a bit of research for myself! I don't know if the same applies to their Ti frames- maybe worth checking with them.

If you want an off the peg Ti frame, what about somebody like Van Nicholas or Enigma? If you get a bike fit (which is a worthwhile investment irrespective of buying a new bike), then you can buy a frame with confidence, as you'll know your measurements.

iamalex

by iamalex

Stuart RC - Not to worry, I don't think I could even clear the deposit for an IF or Parlee!

Josh - Thanks for the recommendations. I quite like the look of the Condor Super Acciaio and knowing there might be some room for tweaking is good to hear. Enigma (steel & Ti) and VN will be getting a hard look, as will the Lynksey Cooper, Spin Spitfire/MK X...

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

My advice would be to definitely get the bike fit before buying. I’ve not personally used Bike Whisperer but have head good thinks about them and Bespoke Cycling. I have used Sigma, but wouldn’t recommend the service (maybe the fitter was having a bad day).

Unless you have odd proportions you may find that your measurements mean a stock frame will fit you 95% as well as a custom one, which would save you a few quid!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

Bike whisperer excellent.

ticou

by ticou

Condor put you on a jig frame; takes about 45 mins, and is free. Then you wait for about a month while they find a pre hand built frame wrapped up in the warehouse that fit's the measurements. Not very romantic but it works, and is currently the cheapest way of getting that hand built goodness. By a long way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I also used Scherrit (The Bike Whisperer). I would recommend him without hesitation.

The guys at Cycle Fit are a bit of an enigma to me. If ever I go in to the shop during the week, I've always had to stand around for ages before anyone even bothers to acknowledge me (even when I've been the only person in the shop). After you get over the pretentious "we're too wrapped up in ourselves to bother with your custom" attitude and actually speak to someone, they seem pleasant and helpful.

One thing CF can do is full custom insoles. I've not used them though, so I don't know what level of biomechanical knowledge, and/or skill in moulding any of the fit guys have.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC