Enve Smart Rims as clinchers???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

billspreston

by billspreston

Was there any new tech that went into the brake track on the new SES clincher rims? Heat buildup is obviously one of the main concerns surrounding the viability of a high-performance carbon clincher.

I understand that Zipp has made some big steps in this direction and would assume Enve would have taking a look at this as well?

ergott

by ergott

They sorted out their clincher design (dealing with excessive heat buildup) with all their clinchers already.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sharkman

by sharkman

Enve clichers are ok and mine have no problems whatsoever with heat buidup. Only thing is that at such a pricetag they shoulb be perfect but they just aren't. Both my enve clincher wheel roll perfect and offer a great ride provided they would evenly brake but they just don't. Both rims got a bulb on the braking surface opposite to the air valves which cause the wheels to vibrate under heavy braking (and makes them feel like cheap knock offs). Tried several brakepads but none offer significant improvement so I guess I'll soon send them in (I also have Lightweight Clinchers and these are a much better investment)

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

What I really want is a set of SES 67 tubular rims but with a 16/20 drilling. Does anyone know if this is actually something you can get? So much easier than making a clincher version. I've tried calling a friend at EVNE, but no response yet...

Jason, bro, can you help a brother out?

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

ergott

by ergott

Why would they? They mold the spokes so it isn't cheap to just make another hole count. They aren't wheels that cater to ultimate weight weenies. They are for racing. The feedback from racers has always been that a few more spokes are better to handle the wattage they can put out. I'm under 160 in season, I'm no pro and I wouldn't even want that spoke count.

You are talking about 80g worth of CX-rays in a 1400g wheelset.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don't believe anyone has truly "sorted out" the heat buildup issue inherent in carbon clinchers. Rather, they tested the limits of how thin they could really make the sidewalls. When warranty issues became a significant problem companies such as Reynolds and ENVE both added back material to these areas. So, not so much solving the problem as much as realizing what doesn't work and just adding back more material. The problem still exists, companies are just trying to deal with it as effectively as they can. Some are doing better than others, but all recognize the issue.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ergott

by ergott

At least Zipp and Enve have also worked on resin choice and other factors. It's not simply a matter of brake track thickness.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

ergott wrote:Why would they? They mold the spokes so it isn't cheap to just make another hole count. They aren't wheels that cater to ultimate weight weenies. They are for racing. The feedback from racers has always been that a few more spokes are better to handle the wattage they can put out. I'm under 160 in season, I'm no pro and I wouldn't even want that spoke count.

You are talking about 80g worth of CX-rays in a 1400g wheelset.

It's the only configuration I can get DA straight-pull hubs in...

ergott

by ergott

lancejohnson wrote:It's the only configuration I can get DA straight-pull hubs in...

Why those hubs?

The 8.9s are that spoke count.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

They are my favorite hubs for aero wheels. I love them...

Didn't know the 8.9s had that pattern, need to probably get that set then. They'll go on a tri bike, so that would work perfect I think...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ergott wrote:At least Zipp and Enve have also worked on resin choice and other factors. It's not simply a matter of brake track thickness.

True. But it would be nice if they could eventually find a combination of all the factors that would provide a rim as good for braking as good old aluminum. Not there yet, but maybe someday. If discs don't take over first.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ergott

by ergott

Calnago wrote:
ergott wrote:At least Zipp and Enve have also worked on resin choice and other factors. It's not simply a matter of brake track thickness.

True. But it would be nice if they could eventually find a combination of all the factors that would provide a rim as good for braking as good old aluminum. Not there yet, but maybe someday. If discs don't take over first.

Have you tried the braking performance of the Smart rims?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ergott wrote:
Have you tried the braking performance of the Smart rims?

No, can't say I have. Is it significantly better than before? I am curious. I presume it is but I haven't had the chance to verify it first hand. The new pads that are being developed seem to be having just as much or more to do with better braking performance as the rims themselves. For instance, the Blue Reynolds pads are way better than the old ones, and I can actually run those on a set of Reynolds DV46UL clinchers without a constant screeching. I was going to get the Edge/ENVE rims at the time (2010 I think) but went with (was atcually steered towards) the Reynolds becasue of all the warranty issues EDGE/ENVE was experiencing at the time. But it seems that the Reynolds DV46UL clinchers suffered from the same issues, and the following year both companies beefed up their versions.

And if you know, what specifically has ENVE done to make the braking significantly better on the Smart rims than it was before? Thanks.

I should also say that it is mostly the wet braking performance of carbon rims that drives me crazy. My first experience in a downpour on carbon rims was NOT very fun. Any rim will not brake as well in the wet as in the dry of course, but carbon wet braking is uh... let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired.

Personally, I am done with carbon clinchers for the moment. I ride carbon rims most of the time now, but they are tubulars and not clinchers. If I'm going to use clinchers, I'm using an aluminum rim. But for as much as I like riding on a nice set of carbon tubulars and even though I've adjusted to the braking, it's still a treat when I run a nice aluminum rim at least as far as the braking is concerned.

terminus

by terminus

I was wondering what kind of tech Enve has put into Carbon clincher brake tracks? Zipp seem to have invested a lot of money into resin research in their Firecrest wheels. Also can the Enve 3.4 clinchers can be built 1300-1400g without incredibly exotic components (DT Swiss 180, Tune Mig/Mag....exotic)????

natiedean24

by natiedean24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com