New shoes - Oh, suits you sir!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

billspreston

by billspreston

+100000

Give it a rest bones, we get it. You don't like Rapha (or Assos) and probably many more. Now back to the bikes...

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Why not admit you're wrong when you misrepresent the materials used as from wild yak?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alex_ucsb
Shop Owner

by Alex_ucsb

If it wasn't prized from the flesh of a dead animal, it isn't fit to cover my toes.

euan

by euan

Wild Yak = endangered
Domesticated and farm yak used for leather = not

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

euan wrote:Wild Yak = endangered
Domesticated and farm yak used for leather = not

^^ This......quit being a**hol*s. This is weight weenies, not the PETA forums.

mrfish

by mrfish

I would consider trying on a pair if they didn't have the black strap, but would probably not buy them. Likely I'd realise that it rains when I cycle and instead get some far more sensible synthetic Giro Factors. I do think there is a market for a really nicely made set of leather shoes with good quality carbon soles, so I think these will sell well.

As for the newspaper print versions, you can get that effect for free if you wrap your shoes in the Gazetta, add overshoes then go for a 6h ride in the rain. I don't know why anyone would buy them.

As for the cynical Rapha haters, why? They remain original and are pushing the boundaries quite successfully. Why not save the hate for the cynical 'me too' clothing brands which popped up in the last 2-3 years offering in general lower quality, smaller brand profile, less well-designed kit at only marginally lower prices.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

How about some yakskin* gloves?

* farm-raised, not from endangered, vulnerable, or whatever wild yaks

metanoize

by metanoize

Since the action has been moved here....

From this place http://www.theyakranch.com/

You can buy Yak skulls, Yak Jerky, Yak meat and entire living Yaks!

bones

by bones

That is disgusting. Downright awful. For one thing, Rapha should be ashamed of selling products used from animals that are listed as endangered and vulnerable. And another thing, to sell basically the skulls, bones, and let's be honest here, the carcass of this once free animal to the general public is just wrong.

I guess all those Rapha wearers can now mount the head of this poor animal on their walls at home if they want too. Do a google search on the reality of Yak meats and leathers. It's truly horrific about the brutality of it all and the way these animals are abused and then killed. You can even select which Yak you want killed and mailed to you.

That pic is not work/general public friendly
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted quote. PP

euan

by euan

Who do you think you are posting that picture on this forum without a warning? Seriously just give it up and take the activism elsewhere. This is a forum for discussing bike no running around pretending you are in PETA.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

You can get just about any domestic animal sent to you in this way...
Why are yaks so important to you? Were you rasied by them?

And you have still failed to explain Why you fight for the yaks of the world instead of the under privlaged children in your own back yard..

Yea hello kitty!!
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

You can get just about any domestic animal sent to you in this way...
Why are yaks so important to you? Were you rasied by them?

And you have still failed to explain Why you fight for the yaks of the world instead of the under privlaged children in your own back yard..

Yea hello kitty!![/quote]He'dhave a point if Rapha, Giro & Ecco were using wild yak rather than farmed yak.

All he's managed to do is demonstrate either monumentally poor reading & comprehension skills or a total inability to admit he's wrong. My money's on the latter.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Ok guys, locking. This thread has ended its useful life.

I attempted to clean the thread up and delete some of the overtly insulting posts and all that, but in the end gave up.

And please remember, this is a cycling forum. Let us keep discussions on cycling. When we bring in politics, religion, activism and strongly held personal beliefs, things rapidly worsen.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.