mavic CD rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

For those who have used the CD rims, how long did the coating last on the braking surface? Furthermore, does anyone know the difference between the exalith and CD?

slyboots

by slyboots

CD was definitely not worth a hassle. It had started wearing off in a matter of days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kastrup

by Kastrup

edit: Sorry :oops: You would think that purchasing such expensive rims one would have learned the difference between CD and Ceramic coating :)
Last edited by Kastrup on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Just to clarify, I was referring to the CD, hardened anodising, not the ceramic coating versions.

ticou

by ticou

I rode on mavic open pro cd rims back in the day and they were ultra reliable and long lasting- i'd still use 'em today if I wanted handbuilt wheels.

horse

by horse

Open Pro in all its guises is still a great rim.

The look of the CD rim doesn't last very long. The finish seems to remain intact until you get a few wet rides in. Then the rim develops an oscillating discoloration at the brake surface. At this point many people think the rim has a flaw and that the rim has gone bad and needs to be tossed away. But this is not the case. However over repeated use the braking surface does become a uniform silver color much as the braking surface on any other alloy rim.

If you use new brake pads and ride a new set of these rims only in the dry, the look should remain intact for quite a while. But these riding conditions are a tall order to ask. I would still pick these rims because of their unique grey looks, any day.

The proliferation of aftermarket, entry level wheels has somewhat altered the market situation with regards to handbuilts in recent times. Handbuilts done correctly are still great to ride. But you will find a number of aftermarket products in the 1650-1800g weight bracket which is also comparable in weight to a relatively conservative, yet high spec, 32hole hand build.

horse

by horse

slyboots wrote:CD was definitely not worth a hassle. It had started wearing off in a matter of days.

привет,

Don't expect the look and finish on this rim to last long in snow/grit/wet laden Москва. Especially in winter.
Can't see how the finish the rim caused you hassle, by any stretch of the imagination.

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Hi H,

Did you used to ride these? if so how long exactly did they last you before the coating on the braking surface started showing signs of wear?

horse

by horse

Of-course. But I can't give an answer as to how long exactly the grey look on the braking surface would last because each user and conditions are different. Some are heavy on equipment, others dependent on environmental conditions and others on brake usage. But if you read my post I've said all I can.

Mackers

by Mackers

I built a set of OP CD rims on DA hubs.
After a couple of years the finish on the rear is still pretty much like new, but the front is starting to show signs of wear.
I have to add they were probably not used very much in wet conditions, and never raced for about 3000 miles.
(can't say for sure, haven't touched a clincher in two years or more)

fitty4

by fitty4

I had cd rims for my mtb about 17 years ago and as I recall it took a couple of weeks before you could notice the wear

slyboots

by slyboots

horse wrote:
slyboots wrote:CD was definitely not worth a hassle. It had started wearing off in a matter of days.

привет,

Don't expect the look and finish on this rim to last long in snow/grit/wet laden Москва. Especially in winter.
Can't see how the finish the rim caused you hassle, by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess I messed somewhat with wording. I meant it was not worth the hassle for Mavic to produce those rims and for me to build myself a set of wheels with them.
On the flip side, Open Pros with Ceramic coating were great.

arbitrage

by arbitrage

My CD coating lasted 4 months with minimal wear.

One 60 minute circuit race in the rain took the coating off entirely. It was in the spring and the roads were still very sandy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com