Bad shifting using Nokon on Sram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wshiong

by wshiong

Anyone experience this on a Sram red setup. The chain seems like jumping whenever i put load on it.

On the bike stand it shift well. please guide me though this. :noidea:
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

foofighter

by foofighter

The liner should be slightly shorter than the links so it's not being compressed...otherwise it should work fine.
Make sure the RD hanger is aligned and the tension in the cable is correct. Tune the cable tension in the 2nd and middle gears to make sure the pulleys are centered below the cogs. In other words, add enough tension that it wants to jump to the next gear then back off until it is smooth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I also shoot a bit of ptfe lubricant inside the housing before i run the cable. Keeps the friction on the cable to almost nil.

As far as problems from using Nokons, they don't operate any differently than any other cable when adjusted properly, so there must be an adjustment problem with your R.Der. Follow the advice above...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

wshiong

by wshiong

ok so how about the rear cable length? is that any issue for too short or too long ? mine seems like not enought tension, too soft.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

if the chain is jumping under pressure, when not involved in a shift, then i doubt it's the housing.
is the chain new, possibly on an old cassette?

wshiong

by wshiong

thisisatest wrote:if the chain is jumping under pressure, when not involved in a shift, then i doubt it's the housing.
is the chain new, possibly on an old cassette?

yes, the cassate is used and the chain is new. any problem ?
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

sideshow_bob

by sideshow_bob

Yes that means your cassette is toast. New cassette.

wshiong

by wshiong

why? i dont really understand.. how about a used chain ? or maybe i try to change the cable back to standard gore ride on.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Your casette and chain wear "together". This means that you cant change either one if they have been ridden for a longer period of time.

New cassette and everything should work just fine.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?d1jmzt
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

wshiong

by wshiong

Is that the only reason with old cassate that nothing to do with the nokon ? i try it on workstand and i dont have any jumping gear problem its perfect shifting. its only jump when you ride it and there is a load while sprinting uphill .
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Sounds exactly like a differently worn cassete and chain.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

wshiong

by wshiong

i also suspect other problem than cassate, although is used, but its still in very top condition.

unless i test with standard cable, if problem remains, then its the cassate.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

sideshow_bob

by sideshow_bob

Dude, I don't know why you're even debating this.

If you change your chain before it gets too worn then you'll get better life from your cassette. If you stretch the chain too much, as in 12 links pin to pin get out to around 12 1/8" inches, then regardless of the age of the cassette you've probably ruined it. Visually inspecting it won't tell you much, but if you put a new chain on and it's jumping then you need to replace it.

Ultimately you should be replacing the chain at or before 12 1/16", you don't do this, you'll be replacing more cassettes than is necessary.

It has absolutely nothing to do with your cables. You want validation, put your old chain back on and it'll all work just fine. It's 20 minutes of your life you'll never get back though.

wshiong

by wshiong

sideshow_bob wrote:Dude, I don't know why you're even debating this.

If you change your chain before it gets too worn then you'll get better life from your cassette. If you stretch the chain too much, as in 12 links pin to pin get out to around 12 1/8" inches, then regardless of the age of the cassette you've probably ruined it. Visually inspecting it won't tell you much, but if you put a new chain on and it's jumping then you need to replace it.

Ultimately you should be replacing the chain at or before 12 1/16", you don't do this, you'll be replacing more cassettes than is necessary.

It has absolutely nothing to do with your cables. You want validation, put your old chain back on and it'll all work just fine. It's 20 minutes of your life you'll never get back though.

I brought the groupset new without the cassate and i found one used cassate on forum thats all, Basically everything is new and i dont have a used chain with me.

I just need to get some info before i purchaase a new cassate as if it still jump around i will be wasting my money.
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

I have red with nokon ,no issues . I think its your cassette. If there is a problem with your cable set up, you wil feel it and see the issues easy on a work stand , really sounds like it's your cassette to me. New chain and cassette and your problem will be solved. Simple
Good luck