Slippery slope

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

staminator

by staminator

Hello everybody!

The story starts with my doctor telling me that running was becoming a bad idea with a repeating back injury, due to pounding the pavement. She suggested something lower impact like an elliptical. Yuck!!! It is now a few months later (and many a frustrated day on gym ellipticals and bikes), and I have just pulled the trigger on my first bike (unless we are counting my mini sized bike when I was 10!). A friend (Sucycling88) suggested this forum. After looking around, it seems as if I am a bit out of my league, but I would love to start learning.

My purchase is a 2012 Trek 1.1, which comes in early next week!!! (I will post pictures later in this thread upon arrival.) Like my title says, I think this is going to be one slippery slope. The weather has been so nice here that many of the bikes I was looking at were not in stock, and at the shop I was sized up on some higher end bikes. Of course, I am a bit envious already.

So, again, hello hello! :-P

-Nick (staminator)
2012 Trek 1.1

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

:welcome: All of us started somewhere! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

billspreston

by billspreston

Welcome Nick. Starting with a "heavier" bike only means you'll have more fun lightening her up :twisted:

I personally find riding to be a much more enjoyable workout than running. You just don't see many smiling runners out on the roads :)

The one thing I can suggest to a beginner is to purchase your own tools and learn how to build and maintain your own bike. It's all pretty easy to learn with all the information and videos out on the web these days!

dummey

by dummey

+1 on the tools, especially if you are an engineer/gear head kinda person.

Part of the joy for me is that my bike is wholly mine. I bought the parts, put it together, built the wheels, etc. It's a feeling that is hard to find elsewhere.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Welcome from a fellow ex-runner. I had to stop running as well -- because of a knee injury, and I don't regret the move at all. My biggest transition issue was riding in bad weather, because you produce more heat when running. Anyway let me tell you once you're accustomed to riding at a higher intensity continuously, and maybe a bit of dialling in of the outfit, it works just as well. :welcome:

staminator

by staminator

billspreston wrote:It's all pretty easy to learn with all the information and videos out on the web these days!

I didn't notice any sticky's about DIY repairs here. Is there anything on this site?

And, thanks for the welcome! :D
2012 Trek 1.1

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

johnsonj718

by johnsonj718

I worked at a bike shop for 4 years during college and I can't tell you how many times I heard "well, my doctor says I can no longer run, so hear I am!" Cycling is amazing you will love it!

fallen86

by fallen86

johnsonj718 wrote:I worked at a bike shop for 4 years during college and I can't tell you how many times I heard "well, my doctor says I can no longer run, so hear I am!" Cycling is amazing you will love it!

Seriously. But getting into weight weenie'ism is going to be one hell of a shock for your wallet compared to running. I hope you enjoy riding, just enjoy your bike and don't jump into the weight race too soon.

staminator

by staminator

fallen86 wrote:Seriously. But getting into weight weenie'ism is going to be one hell of a shock for your wallet compared to running. I hope you enjoy riding, just enjoy your bike and don't jump into the weight race too soon.
Very true. My main cost with running was the quarterly shoe purchase, at $100 a pop. Not too bad, but it seems with cycling prices get scary, very quickly. No matter what, my "heavy" 1.1 still felt like a dream to ride on, and I can't wait for it to come in! Looks like Monday or Tuesday at this point....... :doh:
2012 Trek 1.1

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Based on the Trek website, it appears that the 1.1 comes with toe clip style pedals. In any event, do you plan on using clipless pedals? If so, and you plan to commute you might consider getting SPD (compatible) mountain pedals which give you the option of either rigid cycling shoes or recessed cleat shoes which are good for walking (and perhaps commuting), but still good for riding.

You can always change pedals later, but pedal choice will affect your position and fit on the bike.

staminator

by staminator

HammerTime2 wrote:Based on the Trek website, it appears that the 1.1 comes with toe clip style pedals. In any event, do you plan on using clipless pedals? If so, and you plan to commute you might consider getting SPD (compatible) mountain pedals which give you the option of either rigid cycling shoes or recessed cleat shoes which are good for walking (and perhaps commuting), but still good for riding.

You can always change pedals later, but pedal choice will affect your position and fit on the bike.
These look nice, and I will almost definitely spring for them, but I may have to wait to purchase. I suppose this means being refitted as well....Blahhhh. Thanks for the idea. It just went on the wish list.
2012 Trek 1.1

SUCycling88

by SUCycling88

HammerTime2 wrote:Based on the Trek website, it appears that the 1.1 comes with toe clip style pedals. In any event, do you plan on using clipless pedals? If so, and you plan to commute you might consider getting SPD (compatible) mountain pedals which give you the option of either rigid cycling shoes or recessed cleat shoes which are good for walking (and perhaps commuting), but still good for riding.

He will when I get done with him :D

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jez3hb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

staminator

by staminator

SUCycling88 wrote:He will when I get done with him :D
If your knee holds up, that is! :roll:
2012 Trek 1.1

SUCycling88

by SUCycling88

Nah.. Even if my knee is sh*t I'll smoke you no problem :D

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?c410v2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components