Sub 7.3 kg/6.4 kg 29'er project buildthread finished pic p 6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Bman: I would not hesitate a bit to recommend ordering one. He seems quite quality-oriented and good at what he does, and he is a pure pleasure to deal with. What are you waiting for?

Limba: If the frame rides as good as the road frames they're making, it is going to be nothing short of awesome.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Another update! It's really starting to come together. I think I'm going to show you the frame tomorrow. I've build it up with everything except the Berk combo and chainrings. Have to sort out a mistake (from my side) with r2-bike, and get the new x-pull 7900 II from Carbon-ti.

Cassette

I've earlier talked about ordering a Recon to try it out. I decided not to. So I just got a XX cassette in 11-32. I don't really need the 36T cog, so 32 it is. Weight: 173+9+5=187g

Untitled by Martin.F., on Flickr

Chain

I really thought this one would be lighter. KMC x10-SL, enough links to run 38-32. Weight: 244g :noidea:

Quickreleases

I've used Carbon-ti earlier, but they cracked. I've used some light Tune earlier, as well as KCNC, Token etc. I don't really feel a difference between the light ones, so I saved some money here. I ordered some rebranded ones from Bikeavenue along with the BB. Hitemp42. Weight:44g

Bottombracket

Puh, this one was a tough one. I have a BB30 frame and a BB30 crankset. However, I can't use a standard BB30 bb, I need cups that put the bearings outside of the frame. I only found 2 choises, Lightning and THM. I ordered the Lightning. Weight: 87g

Tape and valve

Of course, with Stans rims I need Stans tape. It just works so well and is so light. I bought American classic valves because they were 3.5g each. Sealant comes later, and it will be Joe's as I like it better than StansWeight: 3.5+3.5+5+5 = 17g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Come to think of it, the bike is pretty much build up so why drag it? Time for the big one!

Frame

This brand is a well-known one here in Norway. It's the one with the most national champs over the last year, and the frames are concidered to be VERY good. The top of the line road frame is pherhaps for most of you guys known as RQC-29.

I used the same frame in a 26" last year, and was more than statisfied with the performance. In matter of fact I was quite surprised with how confident it made me feel on the descents, and how rigid it was. It does not have the same flex and comfort as more expensive frames, but for me and my type of riding, it's more than ok. I can't wait to try this one out, and if it's anything like the road frame it's nothing short of awesome.

Keith Bontrager sums this up very nicely in these words: "performance, affordability, prestige – pick two". It might not be as prestigious as some other frames, but it does the job extremely well.

Enough blabber, time for some photos. Weight: 1181g with drop-out. My opinion? It looks drop-dead gorgeous. I can't wait to hammer it on the trails.

BmanX

by BmanX

Can you show how the cables are run. I see the rear brake run but what about the rest?
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I can try to take some pictures of it tomorrow! I've built it up pretty much complete, so I can snap some photos. It's quite clever actually. The frame has guides run all the way inside the frame, so no hassle what so ever. The cable slides in easily and comes out excactly where it is supposed to. Makes changing cables like a childs game. A lot better than my Cervelo...mumblegrumble...

limba

by limba

I was going to guess the frame would be a Crumpton. Should be good when it's done.

BmanX

by BmanX

I have never had issues with a Cervelo. I think once you figure it out it is easy.

Look foward to seeing the build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Yeah, I guess it's just a matter of finding out how to do it :)

I'm really eager to get this done myself. But now what to do? My road bike is how I like it. I need a new project of some sort...

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Limba: A Crumpton? I'm a student! :shock: :lol:

BmanX, as requested (sorry for 2 bad photos). Front shifters enter on left side, rear shifter enters on right side. It goes internally all the way to the back, with guides inside all the way. NEAT!

BmanX

by BmanX

Thank you and that is amazingly slick.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I think so to!

First impressions from the building.

The rim is LARGE. The tire is narrow/normal. Insanely tight fit! No way tires are getting on this rim by hand...
Tires needed surprisingly little sealant to seal I've used 25 gms in each and there's still a small pool in the bottom.
Threading the cables in the shifters was a little bit of a hassle. Once it was done it's ok though. Threading it through the frame was easy.
I think I need a 90mm stem.

devinci

by devinci

We want more pics!!!!

Up

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Haha, it's coming. R2-bike has recieved payment and (hopefully) shipped the rings, so not far away I hope. Berk has sent the combo, so not too long before that arrives either. Final weight was just under 142g.

Based on my calculations, the bike will weigh around 7230gms with the "heavy" XX cassette and pedals. Still room for improvement, although I don't know what that would be. Scrub discs would be cool to test though...

On the training side I'm back after a 2 week break due to looots of work and illness. Averaged 335w for 20mins and 430w for 5 min, so for my 67kg it's an ok level one month before season start. I always struggle at this time of year, and usually see a 10% improvement over the next couple of months. I'm hoping to reach a 20min avg of 360w before August (where I have my 2nd A-pri race), and also get down to 65 kg.

I can take some pictures tomorrow, but it's missing chain, grips, chainrings and the Berk combo. It will give you an idea though :)

Miller76

by Miller76

Really enjoying this build....

Keep it coming, great work!!

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Just took some pictures. It's not complete, but you get the idea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com