Pegoretti Marcelo Ciavete paint - low pro wheels Page 12

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

majklnajt

by majklnajt

The first thing I would change on this bike is a seatpost/sadlle combo!!!!
And stayed with black bartape!

I find Veloflex very nice on this classic build, excluding the non-classic sadlle and seatpost... ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Scottybee wrote:I think your choice in wheels has a huge influence on the lack of "all day comfort"

Can't help but agree with this. My Duende is much less comfortable on my Lightweights. With your SR11 a set of Hyperons would be my choice, but stick with the Veloflex.

Perhaps a Dorico post too, or a Miche Supertype?!:

:thumbup:

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

Go back to black tape, lose the lightweight logos and it's perfect for me. The only peg I've loved, the rest I've seen arent close to this bike, it's brash and beautiful. The wheels make it, lookswise. Like I say, not a fan of pegs at all but really love your bike.

dcj9

by dcj9

some decent points, which is why this is such a good community.

i would summarise my choice of equipment like this: do we also want to maximise the ride experience for our money, or just focus funds on the 'looks' of the fantastic bikes in this forum?

in my case i already had the wheels for 4 years.
i cannot say what people would do in my shoes - but i would not sell such a top-rated set of wheels secondhand to replace them with heavier wheels for cosmetic reasons.
i do appreciate why that is a non-relevent personal detail to other forum members purely reviewing whats in front of them.

the all-day comfort issue was solved - thanks to the forum - by running veloflex tyres at reduced pressures.

i am not against traditional wheels - i also have a pair of trad tub rims on classic campag hubs/32 spokes on a trek.
they are relatively inexpensive, uncomplicated wheels that look good and roll real nice,
but from personal knowledge they do not make every ride an 'event' on such a 'modern' high performance focused 'race' bike as the marcelo.

in pre-build i also checked out the cosmetics of black wheels with black conti continental tyres (see below).
i know people on ww do prefer all black, but in this case, i will stick with white handle bar tape and tan sidewalls.

i kept black handlebar tape on for a few months and indeed the forum seemed happy enough with that, but it was not really 'me' - at least on this build - and now i am happy i changed, because i didn't really like it, but thanks again for letting me know your thoughts :wink:

Last edited by dcj9 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

dcj9

by dcj9

Go back to black tape, lose the lightweight logos and it's perfect for me. The only peg I've loved, the rest I've seen arent close to this bike, it's brash and beautiful. The wheels make it, lookswise. Like I say, not a fan of pegs at all but really love your bike.

hmmmm, thanks crazyerrol, thats generous of you. i might give the logo removal some thought :D

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

This bike needs some more love IMO. Had another scan through the pics today, def one of my favourites here. :thumbup:

dcj9

by dcj9

This bike needs some more love IMO. Had another scan through the pics today, def one of my favourites here.

thanks for your kind comments CrazyErrol.
actually i was looking at your new build and the wheel depth you've gone with would have really suited the peg too.

since my last post i am making some changes to the peg.

i've already removed the wheel logos, and now have to eat humble pie on the forum and put black tape back on :wink:

secondly, i ordered some arundle mandible bottle cages today.
i am still resisting black tyres since it makes the wheels look even deeper than they do now which the bike doesn't really need.

also coming soon is a custom carbon saddle combo from Jure Berk.
i am especially looking forward to that item and will post an update when the time is right.

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

Did you ever get to ride the vittoria SCs?

If so what did you think, I'm gonna for those or roubaixes I think.

dcj9

by dcj9

i've yet to try the SCs.

the original pair of veloflex tyres are still looking ok.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

how did you remove the wheel logos?

dcj9

by dcj9

acetone and a cloth :)

willy

by willy

Beautiful bike, really like the tan sidewalls, and the white bar tape fits the frame. What bolts are you using to replace the silver ones? where did you buy them from, I am assuming they are Ti
Congrats on such a nice bike, nicest peg i've seen

dcj9

by dcj9

thanks for those comments willy.
the original bolts are spray painted black over grey primer, as are the downtube shifter bosses.
at some point i might replace them with a special bolt kit if necessary.

dcj9

by dcj9

finally the arundel cages arrived, the saddle combo from Jurk Berk [damjan's suggestion] and some more cosmetic changes to the wheels [prompted by calnago's comments about the original spoke colour].
the saddle combo weight is about 150gms with the uncut post. more important, its bespoke and in keeping with the performance this bike offers.

still with white handlebar tape, but now the white lightweight logos have gone i think i will eat humble pie and go back to black tape.
any more thoughts on the current tape colour?

shallower wheels would be better for the cosmetics. maybe that will come, but not for the moment.

i do continue to feel privileged to ride such a machine.

Last edited by dcj9 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fa63

by fa63

That looks great. Now, can we get some side shots, please? :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com