Rotwild R.S2 2012

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

incog24

by incog24

My first proper post on the forum and I've saved it until I have a nice project to post about.

So for 2012 I'm racing with a UK team that's promoting Rotwild bike (on and off road), so I'll be building up a R.S2 frameset, mostly with KCNC parts (a sponsor). Rotwild isn't well known in the UK and hasn't had a big presence there since the late 1990s really but they're a great brand. I quite like the rarity value and riding something a bit different so it fits the bill. Apparently they've re-designed the frameset this year so I'm looking forward to getting out and seeing how it rides.

Soooo, build list. I considered going for super colourful KCNC parts, but decided on mostly black with a few gold highlights. I may yet swap them for red, we'll see. There are a few comprimises on the spec, I already had the SRAM stuff so that's going on, and I've opted for C6 rather than C7 just on price:

Frame: Rotwild R.S2
Forks: 3T F340 Team
Bars: KCNC SC Force Scandium
Stem: KCNC SC Scandium wing (110 mm)
Headset: Stock
Bar Tape: Deda (Black)

Brakes: KCNC C6 (Black)

Shifters: SRAM Force
Cables: Jagwire (Black)
Front Mech: SRAM Force
Rear Mech: SRAM Rival + KCNC jockey wheels

Seat: Ritchey WCS Streem
Seat Post: KCNC SC Pro Scandium Layback 350 mm (27.2)
Seat Post Clamp: Stock

Cranks: KCNC K3 RD Cobweb 53/39 172.5 (Black with Gold bolts)
Chain: KMC X10L
Cassette: Force 11-26
Pedals: Ultegra 6600
Bottom Bracket: KCNC BB86 (Gold - can't see it but why not...)

Wheels: American Classic 58 tubs for racing, powertap for training

Predicted weight? Not sure. With the tubs I reckon I should be under 7kgs but we'll see.
Last edited by incog24 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing for Fluid Fin RT in 2012.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

:welcome:

Lets see some photos of the process! Never seen this frame + all the KCNC parts should be nice, so I am looking forward to seeing this! :beerchug:

incog24

by incog24

Cheers tompkins :)

Not many photos yet (build to start on Monday) but I've got a couple of the frame and the majority of the KCNC parts.

So here's the frame:
Rotwild R.S2 Frame

Its an XL, hence the headtube size. Its designed as a fairly out and out racer, and I think the size of headtube/downtube/chainstays reflects that! We'll see if the ride matches up to those tube sizes when I ride it. The seatstays are significantly thinner than the previous generation (which was criticised for being a tad harsh) so I'm anticipating road buzz not being too bad. No weights as yet, I'll get on that. Fork (not shown) is a 3T custom job.

And here are the majority of the KCNC bits:
KCNC bits

The chainset is on order. Its the new generation so they (Clee Cycles) haven't got much in stock. In fact I think it'll be the 3rd or 4th into the UK. Supposedly they've done a good job of fixing the creaking noises which were occasionaly an issue with the previous version so it'll be worth waiting for. I really like the understated look of the black KCNC parts, they're a tad understated and should go nicely on the frame. I've gone for the layback seatpost and shortish stem as I've got long femurs but a short torso, its a pain...

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Hello there. Never heard of the brand. How are their frames?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

That frame looks sick! Really excited about this build......going to be a serious race bike.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Geo seems pretty relaxed to me, but then again I always feel 'show me a bike racer and I'll show you a racing bike'.

Frame and fork weights?

incog24

by incog24

Right some weights of the parts so far...Had some trouble weighing the frameset on the scales so might need to find a bike shop unless anyone has some tips there?

KCNC Sc Force Bars (210g claimed for 42cm, but these are 44cm)
KCNC SC Force Scandium

KCNC Sc Wing Stem 110mm (104g claimed)
KCNC SC Scandium wing (110 mm)

KCNC C6 Brakes (224g claimed)
KCNC C6

KCNC SC Pro Scandium Layback 350 mm 27.2 (167g claimed)
KCNC SC Pro Scandium Layback 350 mm (27.2)

KCNC Ti Skewers (44g claimed)
KCNC Ti Skewers

KCNC Jockey Wheels (20g claimed)
KCNC Jockey wheels (11t)

KCNC BB86 (94g claimed)
KCNC BB86

KCNC Alloy Chainring bolts (10g claimed)
KCNC chainring bolts

and finally the forks (3T for Rotwild) uncut:
Rotwild 3T fork

A few bits more to come, including the new RD3 chainset which is yet to arrive. So far though I'm impressed by how accurate the weights on the Clee Cycles website are, quite refreshing. The fork isn't too bad either, although I think the frame isn't so light at something north of 1200g. It is an XL though so I'm used to slightly higher frame weights. Perhaps I should have opted for the C7 brakes, but I think £/g wise opting for a KCNC Cassette over a normal one would be a better option.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

looking forward to this build! :D

durkonion

by durkonion

incog24 wrote:Right some weights of the parts so far...Had some trouble weighing the frameset on the scales so might need to find a bike shop unless anyone has some tips there?

Put the scale on the corner of a table and then hang the frame from the top tube on the scale. Also a useful way for weighing tires.

incog24

by incog24

Cheers for the tip durkonion!

So here's the frame weight. I've weighed it with the stock seatpost collar/BB86/headset which isn't ideal, but as they come off I'll weigh them and update the thread. My guess is the frame is about 1100g without those bits which isn't superlight but isn't shabby for an XL:
Frame (with seatpost collar, stock BB86, stock headset)

I also weighed a few extra bits. I was surprised by the weight of the jockey wheels:
Rival derailleur + KCNC jockey wheels

Stock Jockey wheels

Rival derailleur stock

This isn't the lightest saddle but I get on with it well. If I need to drop some weight it'll probably be the first change.
Ritchey WCS Streem V2

And the shifters. I might sand the clearcoat and graphics off these, I'm undecided:
SRAM Force Shifters

Getting there bit by bit...I should be finished by next Wednesday I think.

fletch62

by fletch62

One thing i have found with saddles: if you find one you like, buy 10.
At that weight, its pretty light and you may try 10 more trying to loose very few grams. Not to mention $$$

incog24

by incog24

Right bit of a delay, but some more weights and then some partial build pictures at last! Although the quality is a tad poor, I'll get some nice ones soon.

So weights:

KMC 10L
KMC X10L

SRAM Force
SRAM Force front derailleur

Deda tape
Deda bartape

And here (finally) are some partial build photos complete with the AC 58s that I picked up this afternoon. Apologies for the quality, I'll get some with a DSLR this weekend.

IMAG0063
IMAG0061
IMAG0062

Seriously happy with this so far and I really can't wait to get out riding it. I was planning to de-sticker the ACs as they are pretty full on and look like they might weigh a bit, but actually the red and black is a nice match and I'm tempted to stick with them. I'll get it built up and then decide. I'm not sure whether the gold bits will be a mistake on the final build, black or red might have been better, but that said you can only get the jockey wheels with a gold centre so it might look fussy with just that. Still waiting on the chainset so I'll get weights on that and then the final build weight when it arrives. Weights of the wheels to follow at some point and I'll be getting some Blackburn Slick cages in black too as they seem to be a steal for the price and look quite nice (IMO).

Miller76

by Miller76

This looks great and cannot wait to see the finished product!!! Don't think I've ever seen a build with so much KCNC kit.....

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

What Miller76 said. Interested in hearing how the KCNC bits perform. Seriously lightweight and good bang for the buck...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Looks very promising, can't wait to see the final build. You play the piano?