Broke weenie Lapierre Sensium build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KevinGnar

by KevinGnar

I apologize for not having a built ready to ride setup to show you while I introduce myself and my current project. I'm hoping to use this thread as a bit of motivation.

The base for my build is a 2011 Lapierre Sensium frame set.

I had originally planned on building a 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 but ended up changing routes the day before the frame arrived. I'll be selling the CAAD10 to help fund the Lapierre.

I'm not a big roadie. I'll probably ride my road bike once every 2 months, while I ride my trail, downhill, dirt jump or bmx bikes 3-5 times a week. I'm looking to spend a lot more time on my road bike this year, but it will always take a backseat to my other bikes. For this reason I'll be building the Lapierre on a pretty extreme budget.

The goal is to be ride ready and 16lbs for $2300

Frame weight comes in at a pretty fair 957g for the frame and cable guides.

Fork weighs in at 361g before chopping the steerer tube

Here's some of the parts I've gathered so far

Chris King R45 hubs with the limited titanium drive rings: 102g for the front hub, 214g for the rear hub

Headset: 89g

Expansion unit: 28g

Top cap and bolt: 10g

Water bottle cage bolts: 5g(included in the frame weight)

Seat clamp: 10g

Carbon/Ti skewers: 43g

LizardSkin bar tape: 48g

Thomson Elite seatpost: 227g

So this is where I sit as of today

I'm 2089g (4.61lbs) and $985 in to the entire build.
I've got a set of chinese 38mm carbon rims on the way along a set of used Red cranks.

Plans right now are to pick up a set of Rival shifters to save on money. Thats about all that I have planned out at this point. I'm entirely open to suggestions and tips if you have any.

ImaKing20 is one of my customers/friends/team mates and probably the main motivation behind building this bike(well aside from my Litespeed being a pretty poor excuse for a bike) put together a spread sheet for me to give me a rough idea of what this build may end up looking like. He seems to think that my build can easily hit 15lbs ride ready. I'd be stoked if it did, but 16lbs is the goal.

We'll see how this plays out and I'll continue to update as the build progresses.

-Kevin

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Too bad it's French...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KevinGnar

by KevinGnar

...and I'll be a better kisser because of it.

:doh:

veloryan

by veloryan

For being on an "extreme budget" you've got some awfully nice hubs there

Look forward to seeing this come together

preludervtec

by preludervtec

I've also got a Lapierre, but its an older S-Lite 100 model that i've been slowly upgrading. I've gotten mine down to 16.2lbs without much work and that is with a aluminum steerer tube. What frame size is that?

BTW - What size is that caad10 frame? I might be interested if its my size.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

veloryan wrote:For being on an "extreme budget" you've got some awfully nice hubs there

Putting the money into parts that are quality and should last a looong time.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The budget refers to prices paid I think - not retail :)

The Sensium is a 55, the CAAD is a 56.

KevinGnar

by KevinGnar

preludervtec wrote:I've also got a Lapierre, but its an older S-Lite 100 model that i've been slowly upgrading. I've gotten mine down to 16.2lbs without much work and that is with a aluminum steerer tube. What frame size is that?

BTW - What size is that caad10 frame? I might be interested if its my size.

The CAAD10 is a 56cm. It's brand new with the warranty tag still hanging on it. I haven't even dropped the headset in it. It comes in the original packaging.
I would post a for sale ad on here but I currently don't have enough posts.

Imaking20 wrote:The budget refers to prices paid I think - not retail :)

The Sensium is a 55, the CAAD is a 56.

Precisely, budget is based on price paid, not retail.
With the help of Imaking I'll be searching out all sorts of deals to keep the price of the build down.
Although, I'm a sucker and have Kings on my 29er, dj bike, bmx bike and have a pair set aside for my new trail bike so I'd have sprung for full retail on them if needed. They are completely worth their price.

mgrennie

by mgrennie

Nice Bike! I have been loving my Xelius, and have been thinking about a Sensium frame for my wife. Looking forward to seeing your build completed.

Here's mine, near 15 lb without that huge cassette, done for around your budget.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=93134&p=859965#p859965

KevinGnar

by KevinGnar

mgrennie wrote:Nice Bike! I have been loving my Xelius, and have been thinking about a Sensium frame for my wife. Looking forward to seeing your build completed.

Here's mine, near 15 lb without that huge cassette, done for around your budget.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=93134&p=859965#p859965

I hear alot of good things about the Lapierre's and so I figured I ought to give them a try. I hate my current Litespeed so this should be a good upgrade.

Is that budget with or without the frame?

I'm currently looking for a sub 200g compact handlebar that's 44cm wide and has a short reach/shallow drop.

I think I'd like to steer clear of FSA after breaking 2 of their K-force carbon MTB cranks and 4 of their GravityLite cranks. Their warranty is a bit rubbish anyway. I'm open to any other options/suggestions you guys have.

fletch62

by fletch62

How about these?
http://www.velocite-bikes.com/velocite-licos-handlebars.html
I have one not installed, 181g in 42cm c/c.

stuka666

by stuka666

Nice build.

Thinking of using another seatpost? That's quite heavy, cheap, but heavy :D

Cheers and bring more photos :D

mgrennie

by mgrennie

I may have exaggerated (self-denial) when I said around the same budget...
The whole project got started when I ran into the garage with the bike. I had to replace the front rim, and decided if new ksyriums cost $600, I'd go for Boyds at $800 with birthday money. So I never counted that against the build.

I bought almost all the parts for my old Felt, then swapped them over to this frame.

I did buy almost everything on sale. Frame was around $1200 on ebay, Ultegra components were from Nashbar and around 20%+ off, crank was $250, bars are Zipp SLC2 for $170, and I have gone through 3 saddles at about $120 each. So around $2500 missing some parts, not including wheels.
I know it costs a lot more to build up as pieces, but you can make up for that working at a shop.

KevinGnar

by KevinGnar

I got some new stuff in yesterday.
Like an idiot I've slacked off on ordering spokes, mainly because I fear the wallet raping effect of Aerolites and wanted to double check the ERD of the rim before I ordered. I love the stiffness of them though as I've been running them for 4 years on my DH bike with great success. The Revolutions would be cheaper, but I could feel a difference running the same rim/hub combo.

Anyway, Red's from ImaKing20's old Tarmac. 175's for the win!

Xaimen 38mm 3k glossy's 24/28

Total weight was 2089g + the new gear(395+401+643=1439) totals out to.. 3528g(7.78lb)
Total cost so far is right at $1435 now.

I need to grab a saddle, shifters, brakes, bars, stem, spokes, tires, tubes, cassette and pedals.
$865 left in my budget and 8.22lbs to work.

We'll see if I can make it work.

I'm thinking of grabbing a Ritchey stem/bar combo in red. It would be something like 360g for the combo so a little heavy, but it'd be different and reasonably priced.
Shifters are going to be Rival or up, depending on what I find the best deal on.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

very nice- makes me miss my old lapierre fdjeux scandium frame from 7 years ago. Still one of my all-time favorites to ride.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com