Wellens Brake Cable Hanger?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jeremyb

by jeremyb

where can i get one of these cable hangers on Wellen's bike?

ive included a pic--it looks gold here...

jeremyb
Attachments
wellens_fanclub.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

didn't someone post this under the RBR cyclocross page? I couldn't open the pics, this one is better. I can't really help you though. I do however like your blog, you should post pics and allow anynonomous posters. I was gonna suggest my light cross wheel build to you for your project. I run AM classic front, spada rear, wolber profil 18 rims. about 1200gm and prett cheap. Good luck on that hanger.

jeremyb

by jeremyb

yeah i was trying to find an answer here for the guy on RBR because i figured some euro crossers would have a better idea than a bunch of americans and it looks cool to me too.

thanks for the blog nod, ill try to do what i can. i was looking at the profil 18 on ebay, u like them?

i already have my OR-10's though that look pretty cool to me.

jeremyb

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

the only thing I'm concerned about on the profil 18s is their braking in wet, However, I live in the SW so I'm not too worried. I had the front wheel on my commuter and was dropping curbs etc, and never once did the wheel flinch, so I have pretty good confidence in it. hard finding light, non-carbon tubular rims these days.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

One of the easiest set ups for the front brake cable hanger is to use one of those old rear brake cable hangers that connected to the seat clamp bolt and install it on one of the lower stem bolts. You may need to file down the connection so that the hanger fits into the stem between the face plate and stem body correctly. This is a light and cheap set up. I have used it for a few years. It also allows one to get rid of the space on the steering column needed to install a standard cable hanger - and gets your position lower.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Stolichnaya, Are there any CX races in PHX? I'm racing the Tucson series and a few PHX people came down to race, were you among them?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

520Dan,

I am not sure about any races in the Phoenix area - cross or road. I moved here from the Northeast for grad school and my CX bikes are now collecting dust... :cry:

I assume that there are some sites like 'bikereg' with race calendars and registration for this area, but don't know of any off hand.

-Stolichnaya

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

jeremyb wrote:where can i get one of these cable hangers on Wellen's bike?

ive included a pic--it looks gold here...

jeremyb

I can't really help you. But maybe this picture I took in Septembre. Nys also has one bike with a gold cable hanger:

jeremyb

by jeremyb

thanks casran the nys one is gold too, but its different. the one wellens has is flat like flat aluminum sheet thats been bent. so that you dont have to run a steerer tube spacer under the hanger and also it has a barrel adjuster on it to dial in the front brake.

thanks again though--i love your pics

jeremy

jeremyb

by jeremyb

heres a better pic from this year....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/crossphotos. ... STABOR-020

jeremy

Müsing

by Müsing

I went last week to the famous Koppenberg Cross, thanks a lot C a s r a n!, and spottet this. Maybe the picture helps.
Attachments
Kabelhanger2.jpg
Kabelhanger.jpg

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Müsing wrote:I went last week to the famous Koppenberg Cross, thanks a lot C a s r a n!, and spottet this. Maybe the picture helps.

I'm glad you enjoyed the cross I advised you to go at. :thumbup:

jeremyb

by jeremyb

nice pics Musing, i emailed Fidea last week and got this reply today:

Jeremy,

Thanks for contacting us via our website.

I've contacted Bart Wellens concerning his brakes.

He answered me by saying that his brakes-system is made by someone he knows. So it is not of any kind of an existing system.

Hope I helped you

Greetings
Marc Caluwé
Marketing.

jeremy

Boonen

by Boonen

that's pretty cool they answered your question! He actually went and asked Bart about it, can you imagine some pr guy going to Lance Armstrong to ask what kind of wheels he was using in a certain mountain stage :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Boonen wrote:that's pretty cool they answered your question! He actually went and asked Bart about it, can you imagine some pr guy going to Lance Armstrong to ask what kind of wheels he was using in a certain mountain stage :lol:

Yes, they are cool at Fidea for this kind of things. I emailed them last February: one of my best friends saddly killed himself (the guy is riding with me in my minds each day on the bike!) and a with a few racers from the village we wanted to ride with a black band on the arm, just like Wellens did last season. The next day I actually got a phone call from Hans Van Kasteren, the Fidea manager/boss and he actually asked World Champ Wellens himself how he did the black band (he made it himself)... and if I could let it made, I could you Barts one!

Though I am a Nys fan, great guys at Fidea!! :thumbup: