Replacemente Rings from Sram Red Compact

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cezinho

by cezinho

Hello

I would be looking for some replacement of my 50-34 Sram Red rings.
What would be the best choice, taking in consideration the following criteria ordered by priority:

1 - shifting / performance
2 - weight
3 - cost

thank you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Check out Praxis Works; they chainrings fit your criteria well.

billspreston

by billspreston

Yup +1. Praxis 50/34 rings, clover style. $160 and they weigh 123g for the set. Not the cheapest or the lightest, but the performance is very good. Use a KMC or Shimano chain if possible.
Last edited by billspreston on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

or another set of RED rings ....
http://eliflap.it/

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Does anyone know if the Praxxis compact weight more or less than Red chainrings?

cezinho

by cezinho

PoorCyclist wrote:Does anyone know if the Praxxis compact weight more or less than Red chainrings?

good question

veloryan

by veloryan

What he said
fa63 wrote:Check out Praxis Works; they chainrings fit your criteria well.

Broid

by Broid

I upgraded the Praxis rings (Red compact) and it was a huge improvement in shifting. Plus they look bitchin'...

cezinho

by cezinho

a bit hard to get them in Europe I suppose...

aaric

by aaric

I went with stronglight ct2's. Ordered them from xxcycle and ended up being around $115 shipped to the states.

In the 36/52 configuration they are definitely stiffer and lighter than the old red rings (also 36/52). I think they are slightly more flex-y than my specialized s-works rings. Both the ct2 and specialized rings are both noticeably much stiffer and better shifting than the red 36/52 set.

Inner ring was about the same weight (+/- 4g), and the outer ring was about 20g lighter.

For what its worth, the specialized are heavier than the red rings by about 5g on the inner ring, the outer ring was the same.

The new Exogram red rings I have no experience with, nor have I seen any comparisons. Praxis doesn't have a 52 outer, so I didn't consider them.

mimason

by mimason

I can't see any reason to use red rings....they suck in comparison. The Praxis rings are the bomb....much stiffer and great shifts. I've been on a clover compact set for about two months. A buddy rode my bike last week and ordered them straight away for his red cranks.

billspreston

by billspreston

PoorCyclist wrote:Does anyone know if the Praxxis compact weight more or less than Red chainrings?

Sram Red 50/34 = ~145g
Praxis Clover 50/34 = 123g

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

billspreston wrote:

Sram Red 50/34 = ~145g
Praxis Clover 50/34 = 123g

Thanks!!! this maybe a stupid question but is it possible to install the chainring right on the bike without taking out the crankset? It was a bit of work installing it and don't want to remove it if I need to.

Also I imagine the classic would be fairly nice too (I like the look of the force black rings) Praxis has mentioned the clover and classic are pretty much similar in weight and stiffness.

billspreston

by billspreston

Yes, you can install chainrings without pulling the crank. I don't believe Praxis makes the standard style rings in 50/34... yet.

Rick

by Rick

These Wickwerks chainrings look pretty interesting:
www.wickwerks.com

In fact, I have bought a compact set, but I can't give a recommendation because I don't plan to install them for another month or so. I would be interested in anyone else's experiences. I will review them after I have tried them for a while.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com