Reasonably Cheap turbo trainer wheel with 10 speed free hub

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RMcC

by RMcC

Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap rear wheel that an ultegra 10 speed cassette will fit onto for use on a turbo?

I was going to use an old shimano wheel I had but the 10 speed cassette doesn't fit.

Is it recommended to use a wheel of the same type you normally run on the road as I'm running Mavic kysrium sl also with ultegra.

Don't want to be spending too much on a new wheel but don't want cheap equipment that isn't going to last.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

http://www.neuvationcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some ridiculously inexpensive wheels that are actually very good for training. Certainly they are good enough (or even too good) for a trainer. I have two pairs and they are solid as a rock.

This one ?
http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product ... k-1240.htm

RMcC

by RMcC

Thanks for the reply. Thats something like what im looking for but as I hadnt put my location up its a bit impractical. And that site doesnt deliver to the uk.

Anywhere that delivers to the uk I could try?

Rick

by Rick

Well, my favorite UK site is ProBikeKit, but I don't know if they have any wheels on sale.

It always boggles my mind how PBK can charge lower prices and get things to Utah USA faster than my LBS can get things from a manufacturer who is in town. :unbelievable:

jekyll man

by jekyll man

how about 20 odd quid for a turbo tyre??

Cheaper than a wheel. (and probably better quality than a "cheap" rear wheel)...
Official cafe stop tester

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Why not get something like Shimano WH-R500? That should do for training, and it never hurts to have a backup set of wheels.

(I've been trying hard to break my R500s but in over 5 years they have held up amazingly well.)

RMcC

by RMcC

jekyll man wrote:how about 20 odd quid for a turbo tyre??

Cheaper than a wheel. (and probably better quality than a "cheap" rear wheel)...

I have a turbo tyre but would prefer having a dedicated wheel to save changing a tyre everytime I either decided to go on the road or the turbo.

wassertreter wrote:Why not get something like Shimano WH-R500? That should do for training, and it never hurts to have a backup set of wheels.

(I've been trying hard to break my R500s but in over 5 years they have held up amazingly well.)

Thats the set I was trying to fit my cassette to but my 10 speed cassette doesnt fit the hub, but after having had a look around I think ill go for a set of newer R501's so I can fit the cassette and they are only £90 a set.

Thanks

Arky

by Arky

Fulcrum 7s can be found for very little money sometimes.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

+1 on the Fulcrum 7's. They are the standard wheels that come with Cervelo bikes and they tend to sell for very cheap because it's the first thing that Cervelo owners switch out. On the Cervelos however, they are labeled as Fulcrum Racing T - They are the same exact wheel.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

RMcC wrote:
wassertreter wrote:Why not get something like Shimano WH-R500? That should do for training, and it never hurts to have a backup set of wheels.

Thats the set I was trying to fit my cassette to but my 10 speed cassette doesnt fit the hub, but after having had a look around I think ill go for a set of newer R501's so I can fit the cassette and they are only £90 a set.

Thanks

The R500's should work......must be something else wrong here. R500's will fit a 10 speed shimano cassette. Take it to your LBS and they will fit the cassette for you if you can't get it on there.

RMcC

by RMcC

Ive just checked the wheels again and the hubs are marked as WH-R550 and the rear ring seems to be all the way back on the hub.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Those are 100% 10 speed compatible......I would take them to your LBS and get them to install the cassette....maybe there is a spacer behind the cassette you are missing or something.

What is the exact issue you are having that you are saying it doesn't fit??

Geoff

by Geoff

In Canada, we have to spend a stupid amount of time on the trainer. There is really no need to purchase a specific wheel for the trainer, but if you must, you can buy a cheap POS, OEM wheel on Kijiji, etc., locally. Generally, the vendor will be sone Tri-geek tossing the OEM wheels on his/her new superbike.

staminator

by staminator

Is it really recommended to have a separate wheel set for a trainer? I was under the impression trainers do not cause much wear.... Looking to buy a trainer soon, though, so this would probably be a good thing to know. :wink:
2012 Trek 1.1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RMcC

by RMcC

I just thought it would be easier and save time changing the rear wheel rather than a tyre every time I was going to use the trainer.

I've read about wearing out normal tyres on a trainer but never experienced this with the michelin pro 3's I was using at the time. I've since switched tyres and don't want to wear them out.

Back to my earlier problem about the cassette not fitting, all is now fine. Thanks for all the help.