Drilling Ridley Helium (Wired SRM)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woz9683

by woz9683

I'm just working on putting a wired SRM on my Helium. I was hoping to run the wires internally just to keep it clean. I'm wondering if anybody has drilled one? To fit the plug through the frame (so I don't have to cut through the shielded cables) I need to drill a 10mm hole, and I'm a little hesitant (it is a pretty darn light frame after all). I was thinking about drilling the top of the down tube for both holes, one directly behind the head tube and one directly above the BB. It seems like those would be good, thick reinforced areas. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

FWIW, I just drilled into the TT bike in a similar way, except I was able to drill into the top tube where the rest of the cables are routed, and then under the BB for entry and exit. Both areas were surprisingly thick, approx. 4-5mm.

SL58

by SL58

But you are going to have cable bosses exposed.
Any chance you remove them and drill there?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gregalfa

by gregalfa

i have drilled the frame once for wired SRM. I drilled the hole in the center of the head tube. But I suggest to cut the cable to drill as small hole as possible. Look nicer :thumbup:
The Great CarboniO

woz9683

by woz9683

In the center of the headtube, on the backside I guess? I wasn't sure if there would be enough room between the inside wall and the steerer for the cables to run without rubbing?

And, there weren't any interference issues after cutting the cables?

Thanks

Auk

by Auk

gregalfa wrote:i have drilled the frame once for wired SRM. I drilled the hole in the center of the head tube. But I suggest to cut the cable to drill as small hole as possible. Look nicer :thumbup:

You shouldn't cut the SRM cable, as it is a shielded cable and you will get funky readings if you do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woz9683

by woz9683

I didn't think so. I read through the old thread, and it looked like there were some conflicting results after cutting through the cables. I guess I'm going to cut into the back of the head tube where it joins the down tube and the top of the bottom bracket. I'll make the holes big enough to fit the plug. Unless anyone else has a better suggestion of where to drill?

Thanks!