2011 Zipp 404 FC Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gitsome

by gitsome

Ok so now I'm officially PISSED. Rode the bike back to the shop, had them check it out, said it was norm for ZIPP hubs to loosen up a bit at first, they d have the mechanice check it out, tighten it up, etc.

Rode back 10 miles, just checked and its loose again, that little end piece ("clinch-nut"?) doesn't tighten up due to the tiny hex bolt that's waytoo small.

These hubs are the worst design I haave seen, I had no idea a hub could be so shodily made. I know there's been fair warning here on WW but I had also read they'd worked the hub out. Not so. The hex screw is #2, it couldn't be smaller or less effective and easier to strip the threads. An advanced wheelset should have a more advance locking-mechanism, a $3000 wheelset should not be held together by a $.003 screw!

Someone suggested I remove the clinch-nut and file it down to increase clamping distance for the screw.... I imagine this would void a warranty? Noit to mention pop the tiny head off that tiny screw.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

the 2mm hex wrench screw will certainly keep the preload collar from moving. make sure you are using a sharp, high quality wrench. we've sold many hundreds of zipps with the current 88/188 hubs and we have never encountered a collar that migrated, or a preload collar screw that stripped or broke its head.
tighten the collar until it just slightly requires effort to turn. do this with the wheel on the bike. to test that it is not overtightened, i like to roll the wheel forward 90degrees and watch the valve's weight swing the wheel around, like a pendulum. if it does not swing back and forth, it's too tight.
once the collar is adjusted, and it is not in its "aero" position, just open the qr, move the whole axle around until it's pointed in the preferred direction, and close the qr. on the front, one collar is the bearing preload, the other is simply clamped on, so its position can be matched to wherever the preload collar needs to be.

gitsome

by gitsome

ok will do, will try that, thanks. Just find it odd (and annoying) that after servicing twice now in the first 3 days the same things keeps happening....

alibongo

by alibongo

The hubs are the worst bit about my fc 404's.
Follow me on twitter:- MrAliBongo

gitsome

by gitsome

I think the issue is the cinch-nut is not quite right, the ends are too close and the tiny hex screw can't get enough grip/tightening on the ends to grab the hub-axle enough to hold it in place.

Interesting system in theory, needs possibly a better mechanism or at least a larger screw. Zipp said they will send me a new cinch-nut so hopefully this resolves the problem.

At least I can't fault their customer service, and the wheels do spin like crazy and are noticably faster than the others when they work