Cyfac XCR Custom

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Beauty! :thumbup:

I paid a ton less for my Cyfac rando-nerv off french ebay but it's a sweet ride, I'm sure this'll be even sweeter

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Very nice. Can't wait to see the finished article.

WasFab

by WasFab

can you suggest about the Speedplay Zero how do you like them?

dcj9

by dcj9

superb project :thumbup:
nice to have the in-build shots, looking forward to seeing this built-up

tarz

by tarz

fabiancanchelara wrote:can you suggest about the Speedplay Zero how do you like them?

I came from Look pedals a few years ago, haven't had any problems switching over to speedplays, can't really say I've had any issues at all with them. They're the pedals I'll be using from now on I think.

tarz

by tarz

dcj9 wrote:superb project :thumbup:
nice to have the in-build shots, looking forward to seeing this built-up

They were a nice surprise as well.
I did ask when I was ordering the frame whether it was possible and they said they would see what they could do, but all in all I am pretty happy that they were able to send some, yes they aren't taken with a Leica by an 'actual' photographer, but to have it documented makes me pretty happy.
Should hopefully have a few more photos of the paint scheme this week, so I shall see if I can post them.

Cheers for the comments, can't wait to see it built either, this has been a long process and the end is definitely in sight!

P.S; loving your Pegoretti!

tarz

by tarz

No frame update just yet....

Refining some of the components....

Fulcrum Racing Speed XLR

kgt

by kgt

I would leave the small CULT stickers on. 8)

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

OK, without any justification, I am getting impatient for this build to progress! :wink:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

tarz

by tarz

kgt wrote:I would leave the small CULT stickers on. 8)

On reflection I think this could have been a cool thing to leave, I'm ordering the dark label decals anyway so I'll see how I go without them at all for the time being...

tarz

by tarz

Powerful Pete wrote:OK, without any justification, I am getting impatient for this build to progress! :wink:

Update:

Frame is being sent from France today or tomorrow, should have it in Australia in about a week, then getting it built as soon as possible.

Will update with better photos as soon as I can.

Paint scheme has been ever so slightly altered to original photo, I am now much happier with the way it turned out.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Just found this... leaving tomorrow, very jealous, you are beating mine by 1 week!
I should start another thread when I get home but here is a teaser:
They were probably welded about the same time but mine needed some special work done externally... all will be revealed

I actually visited the Factory in January and got to go through the processes, the paint shop is definitely a highlight, there are no stickers, they make computer cut stencils and spray each layer. That is the sort of detail you only appreciate by looking closely at the bikes

tarz

by tarz

notsoswift wrote:Just found this... leaving tomorrow, very jealous, you are beating mine by 1 week!
I should start another thread when I get home but here is a teaser:
They were probably welded about the same time but mine needed some special work done externally... all will be revealed

I actually visited the Factory in January and got to go through the processes, the paint shop is definitely a highlight, there are no stickers, they make computer cut stencils and spray each layer. That is the sort of detail you only appreciate by looking closely at the bikes

Another XCR tubed cyfac!
I did my own research into the company and managed to dig up a lot of information about them about the way they work.
The guy that welds all the steel frames has been there for 30 years, so he knows whats up.
And I am very impressed with the way they paint the frames, not a single decal on them, all hand painted.

Mine had a few paint scheme issues, pure miscommunication, which forced the frame to be stripped and then re-painted again. Although I have been waiting longer than what was anticipated, I am coming out of it with the perfect frame.

Did you go for oversized tubing as well?
I see yours has an integrated headset, I went external for mine.

Not sure when you placed your order but I know there was a delay for the tubing coming from Italy and there were a few other XCR's on the go, I know they did get welded all together.

Would have been an awesome experience to see the workshop.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Same same, did a fair amount of research as well
100% right that 1 bloke welds them all, I have gone blank on his name, were were intorduced but he doesn't speak Engish so I got to say is do a good job on the big bike (!) He been there for 30 years has done multiple GT winners, all the classics the list is impressive so are the names. They have some jerseys hung around that are personally thanking Frances

Yes, integrated head set, part of that was cost as this is on a budget (as much as a hand made bicycle can be!) and using the standard fork. OS tubing because like you I will actually race it, and also I am big - 195cm, and with a decent sprint I though t the little bit stiffer would help

Also caught out by Columbus though there was a little BS from Eric, I now know exactly what happened, it was the Chain stays, they had the main tubes but not enough stays because the XCR tubing is proving more popular than first thought, XMas didn't help.
I ordered just before XMas, should have been at the beginning of Dec but there was an issue involving a race, me, 60 kph and my collarbone...

tarz

by tarz

notsoswift wrote:Same same, did a fair amount of research as well
100% right that 1 bloke welds them all, I have gone blank on his name, were were intorduced but he doesn't speak Engish so I got to say is do a good job on the big bike (!) He been there for 30 years has done multiple GT winners, all the classics the list is impressive so are the names. They have some jerseys hung around that are personally thanking Frances

Yes, integrated head set, part of that was cost as this is on a budget (as much as a hand made bicycle can be!) and using the standard fork. OS tubing because like you I will actually race it, and also I am big - 195cm, and with a decent sprint I though t the little bit stiffer would help

Also caught out by Columbus though there was a little BS from Eric, I now know exactly what happened, it was the Chain stays, they had the main tubes but not enough stays because the XCR tubing is proving more popular than first thought, XMas didn't help.
I ordered just before XMas, should have been at the beginning of Dec but there was an issue involving a race, me, 60 kph and my collarbone...

I think his name is Bernard?

Who is Eric? What shop are you going through in Melbourne to get it?
I have been speaking with Dan at Artisan since last October about this frame (that isn't when I ordered it), and he has been nothing but helpful throughout everything.

I understand trying to be on a budget, I was originally going to go for one of their alloy customs but instead decided to spend a little bit extra and go for this.

Mine was ordered beginning of December.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com