Campagnolo chainring bolt

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Hello,
I noticed yesterday that the bolt at the crank arm from the 2012 Super Record crank has a pin inside the bolt head, and I couldn't inset the torx bit. All the other bolts are torx as well but don't have this pin. Is there a special bit from Campagnolo that I have to buy?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

Campagnolo in the manual for the crankset says something along the lines that if you are going to replace chainrings to contact a service center due to the importance of getting the rings mounted back on with no waver of the ring. Then I recall reading a Q&A somewhere (not just forum mumbo jumbo) that the hidden bolt is like that to discourage "tampering" - or rather discourage unnecessary removal. But going on it said that once you do really want to remove that bolt you must break off that center tab with something like a needle nose pliers and then use the torx wrench like usual. Then in the future it's just not there in the way.

Willier

by Willier

I have just pushed the pin in with a torx

jipperd

by jipperd

Like you suggested there is a special Torx key, however. Do yourself a favour and remove the 'pin'. It's not functional.

Montana

by Montana

Yes. You can just pull that pin out with no damage to the Torx bolt and throw it away. No worries :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Awesome, thank you all for the replies.