EE brake set and SRAM Red levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

HammerTime2 wrote:What changed with the EE brake pad holders? It's not the same easy 10 sec job to bend up pad, pull out, and insert new one?

He just moved the slot back a little back, so that you insert the pad a little further back and push it forward a little further, if that makes sense. It's still 99% as easy as it was.

Miller76 wrote:What are the best pads suggested for EE brakes on non carbon rims?

thanks again

Any Shimano compatible pad will work in the pad holders and while the EE-brake can make up for a lack of "grippynes" of a pad, what's "best" will come down to your rim and personal preference. I really liked the older Swiss Stop green ones, the new ones are good as well. The Dura Ace pads work nicely as well.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

rustychain wrote:PS I much prefer the first generation <EE> brake pad holders, so easy to change brake pads. The new ones are a PIA. I am going to replace the new ones with some NOS

Ypsylon wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:What changed with the EE brake pad holders? It's not the same easy 10 sec job to bend up pad, pull out, and insert new one?
He just moved the slot back a little back, so that you insert the pad a little further back and push it forward a little further, if that makes sense. It's still 99% as easy as it was.

You two gentlemen seem to have differing opinions, as rusty writes that the new ones are a PIA (or rusty really doesn't like giving up that 1% of easiness).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

What can I say, I had the chance to walk up to a bike that was just being built and had the new EE pad holders on it and it probably helped that the bike was fixed so I could grab the holder with one hand and the pad with the other, but it was tool less and quickly done compared to all non-EE pad holders I've had so far. There were DA pads in there and no wheel. But since my usual procedure is wheel out, brake pads out, brake pads in, wheel in, I think that's fair.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

anderz

by anderz

Until reading this thread I didn't know there was any difference in the pad holders as my 2012s are just as easy as my 2010s. Maybe if I retry changing pads now I'll notice any changes? ;)

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Miller76 wrote:Hi fellow weenies,
thinking about running some new EE brakes with SRAM Red levers
Hoping for some advice etc based on your experiences
Any suggested cable brand? What not to use?

Current bike has Gore Ride On cables which I really like - but looking for your experiences - and looking for the set up that is easiest to maintain

Thanks again

WORKS GREAT WITH I-LINK

BEST REGARDS

Miller76

by Miller76

Thanks guys - ended up with some black ilinks -they should be here shortly and then the build can commence!!! Thanks again

jdp211

by jdp211

RE: pad changes, I can't speak for the first generation, but my second gen pair are easy as pie to change pads, provided they are standard type pads. Zipp cork pads are a whole different story, a PIA to put in and required modification so that the slot would fit in rather than the normal hole.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Changing pads on either generation is extremely simple compared to virtually anything else. Its seconds for a pad swap, no tools.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

So far we have rustychain out there in left field saying that the 2ng generation EE padholders are a PIA. No one else has supported that view.

bman11

by bman11

The pAd holders are awesome. So much easier that anythingelse I've tried. I am using nokons with flawless results also. Enjoy
Just dig in and climb it!!!

motorthings

by motorthings

just got a new EE caliper and new zipp tangente platinum pads, and replaced the pads in both the old style EE caliper and the new EE caliper, and noticed zero difference in ease...both were simple, painless, and quick.

Cento

by Cento

Any inner brake cable will work flowlessly with EE brakes,,Im using a stock sram red cable,Im very satisfied of performance of mine..

rustychain

by rustychain

Yawn....... OK I'm awake

While the basic procedure to change the pads is the same the new pad holders are much tighter then the older version. The old version I could simply remove by hand in two seconds yet never has come loose in any way while riding. The new pad holders are tight enough that I had to remove the wheel and actually remove the pad holder to get enough leverage to get the pad out without hurting my fingers (exact same pads BTW). I also tried this at my LBS on a test bike and yep, I had to struggle to remove a single pad. I purchased an NOS EE brake pad holder (they gave me a deep discount) and I'm the happier for it. In all circumstances the pads happened to be yellow SwissStops. I have no axe to grind and love and recommend EE brakes. I stand by my statement about the old pad holders being better. The new pad holder are OK but not for my first choice next to the old ones. I remember that the tighter fit was one of the improvements advertised when the new model was released
this is how the old pad holders worked for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpjsFPjdvU :beerchug:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Miller76

by Miller76

just a follow up...

Once you have these set up with SRAM RED levers - how far do you need to pull the lever to have these grip tight? Feels like something is wrong but I have to pull a long way.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Depends on how you have the cable slack adjusted. I set it so there's about half the lever travel before the brakes engage. The EE brakes aren't perfectly solid (no brake is) but there's no more level travel between starting to engage and hard braking than with other brake calipers.