Anyone own a Ax-Lightness Frameset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I am about to purchase an Ax-Lightness Frame Set from R2 bike. They actual model has not yet been decided. I have had a hard time finding anyone with any experience riding/owning one. I would like to know if the actual weight of the delivered frame was anywhere near the advertised claimed weight. I would also like to know about the finish and quality of construction. Most importantly I would like to know how it rides....stiff, comfortable, compliant, etc.... I have not decided which frame set to order so I am hoping for some feedback from you guys to help me out. Thanks Mark

cmh

by cmh

After dealing with AX for multiple customer service items I can safely say that buying a frame from them would be just about the last thing I'd do on this earth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

When you buy ultra light weight stuff you can't expect it to behave like heavier, so much more durable stuff, and it's true Ax don't have much patience for those that do. I think when you buy super light componants you have to share the risk with the manufacturer that they just might not do what you want them to do.

This comment isn't really about their frames just a different opinion to the previous poster about Ax in general. I have a few Ax bits and I've been extremely happy with them all.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I have been extremely happy with every AX component I've ever used...saddle, bars, stem, cranks, cages. They make an awesome product. I don't expect any different with the frame. Have you used their components?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

That being said their customer service isn't very good. So beware. It's one thing with a component. It's another when it's a $7000 frame

VTBike

by VTBike

I'm curious as to why you would purchase a frame, not knowing any of the huge factors that you mention. If there is no experience out there from people that ride it, no huge testament to their customer service, and no idea how it really rides - what is the pull for you to get it? If it's like their other stuff, I'm sure its a fortune. Surely there is a better choice.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Early adopter with disposable income? :noidea:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

artray

by artray

Just make sure the frame is the weight your expecting. I would also go for the nude carbon, no bubbling /cracking paint issues to worry about. Good luck with your bike and it would be great to see how the build will progress.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have a few of their products and been very happy with all of them. I just bought a pair of Orion 3000 brakes and was extremely impressed with their performance and weight. So I started looking at their other products a little harder. I have looked at other high end performance frame makers and have noticed the price gap between the AX and other high end manufacturers is narrowing. I have talked to Nick Crumpton who wants 4+months to get one of his frames. AX will do their frames in custom spec for no additional charge and in two months. Also the exclusivity of the Ax frame is another reason I want one.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

[quote="konky"]When you buy ultra light weight stuff you can't expect it to behave like heavier, so much more durable stuff, and it's true Ax don't have much patience for those that do. I think when you buy super light componants you have to share the risk with the manufacturer that they just might not do what you want them to do.

This comment isn't really about their frames just a different opinion to the previous poster about Ax in general. I have a few Ax bits and I've been extremely happy with them all.[/quote

Well said. I agree 100%

gumgardner

by gumgardner

You'll never get an AX in 2 months. If its between AX and Crumpton...it's a no brainer. Get the Crumpton. He'll give you the best fit you've ever had. AX will use a generic fit calculator.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com