New Kask K-10 arrived with a crack

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Richie wrote:However, I have sent an enquiry directly to Kask to get their view on this and whether it will affect the helmet's performance in a crash.
Have you heard back from Kask?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Wow I probably wouldn't even have noticed that crack. Wonder what I'm riding with ;)

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Based on your recent bike purchases, probably a cracked bank account.

headwind816

by headwind816

MoPho wrote:My Kask K10 which I bought from a reputable LBS has a similar crack. I never noticed it until reading this thread. It seems pretty minor, practically need to look at it under a microscope to see it though.

I've been riding with it for months and it seems to do an fine job of holding my brains in thus far :lol:

I hope that, in the event the worse does happen, the helmet continues to hold your brains in properly. Would it be possible to go back to the LBS and inquire? I would, but that is me and not. Again though, I hope you never ever have to use the helmet for its intended use.

MoPho

by MoPho

headwind816 wrote:
I hope that, in the event the worse does happen, the helmet continues to hold your brains in properly. Would it be possible to go back to the LBS and inquire? I would, but that is me and not. Again though, I hope you never ever have to use the helmet for its intended use.

Thanks, I've had the helmet for about 5 months already and it has been dropped a few times, I don't think I could prove that it was like that from new. It is minuscule and given how these things are manufactured I can't see how it's possible to not have such cracks lurking within on any helmet. Doesn't seem to be something that would have an affect on the integrity of the helmet, but what do I know.
Next time I am at the shop I will ask about it though

giant man

by giant man

I wouldn't. With any helmet, it could fail and you could die. I wouldn't .....

Richie

by Richie

HammerTime2 wrote:
Richie wrote:However, I have sent an enquiry directly to Kask to get their view on this and whether it will affect the helmet's performance in a crash.
Have you heard back from Kask?

Kask want the cracked helmet back for analysis so they will pick it up from us and post a replacement. Frankly Kask have been excellent to deal with thus far. They seem very concerned that their helmets are being sold in this condition and claim that none of their helmets leave the factory with any faults or defects such as this so, no matter what the dealer might claim, it should not be there.

The dealer has been reasonable to communicate with and eventually but rather reluctantly offered a full refund including postage or replacement cracked helmet. However we think the helmet should go back to Kask to confirm whether the crack does pose a risk as he claims to have already sold 1000+ of them on ebay!

I'll update later with any info from Kask about their analysis of the helmet.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

So your dealer offered to replace your cracked helmet with another cracked helmet? That option is rather puzzling.

I see your dealer also offered a refund, which makes more sense than replacing with another cracked helmet.

Anyhow, I remain suspicious, as per a previous post, that the ebay dealer bought a bad batch cheaply - perhaps factory rejects out the back door, or maybe they are counterfeit and of defective manufacture.

I shall be most interested what Kask has to say upon inspection of the helmet.

Richie

by Richie

To conclude this, we sent the cracked helmet to Kask for analysis and have been informed that the crack is aesthetic rather than a structural flaw. We have been sent a replacement helmet which has no cracks in it.

Kask have been great to deal with from the start, very helpful and seem to have a great attitude towards their customers. I have been really impressed by them.

The ebay dealer was also easy to communicate with, however I will not recommend them because there was no mention of the defect in the items description or picture.

Finally, I'd like to thank all of those that contributed to this thread as it's helped us and hopefully will help others too. :thumbup:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I recently tried on and weighed a kask k-10. Very nice fit, but the thing weighed 350g (70 over the claimed weight). Too bad!
Speedplay is the devil!