Tricks for mounting stubborn clinchers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

If you start at the valve, it will hold that part of the tire out of the center channel and make it that much harder to get it on. If you don't believe me check out the instructions on the internet at such places as Park tools.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

seandonovan wrote:
ccie1115 wrote:10-15 seconds in microwave...works wonder; except when you're out on the road

Or you have wire beads...

he he he I might have to pull out the old wire bead mondos that came on my 2006 specialized allez and give that a try!!!

eric

by eric

yourdaguy wrote:If you start at the valve, it will hold that part of the tire out of the center channel and make it that much harder to get it on. If you don't believe me check out the instructions on the internet at such places as Park tools.

I push the valve up into the tire so the beads there can drop to the lowest part of the rim. It works fine for me.

jdp211

by jdp211

Velo plugs make a huge difference in ease of installation. Also probably the cheapest weight savings you can buy

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Plus 1 for the Veloplugs. Better than even the thinnest rim tape.

HarryS

by HarryS

The wheels actually came with veloplugs, black ones, that kept falling out when mounting the tire. Needless to say I had to revert back to strips, which probably made fitting the tires harder. I'll have to get the correct plug size next time.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Some good info in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100427

Murphs

by Murphs

My Veloflex were a nightmare to get onto my C-4 rims, so I fitted them without tubes, then over the course of a few days I accelerated the stretching process a little with some cable ties wedged under the bead.

Now they are fine, still tight but I would rather that than too loose

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

If your veloplugs are so loose that they fall out, they'll also pince latex (or fly weight butyl) tubes.

A layer of electrical tape (on top of the veloplugs) fixed that issue for me. The electrical tape is very thin and very light.

GJ

tigoose

by tigoose

I have old gipiemme 416 rims and mounting is also impossible. seeing as though they're tough heavy rims my number 1 recommendation is a screw driver works all the time.
my other trick is using wd40 on my chain for lube....imagine walking into ya lbs and telling em this is what you do ha ha.
I honestly do this

HarryS

by HarryS

Thanks GJ, Ive now taped my plugs in place...I mounted a tire without the tube and rim strip and it miles easier. I think the conti strip I used must be only for double-wall rims and was making it way too squeezy. Im not as disheartened about the whole situation now.

Thanks everyone for the help, even those that recommended screwdrivers and WD40! :shock: :lol:

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Apparently this thing works well... never used it though: http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Be ... B001AYML7K

rjk8

by rjk8

If the tires are new, throw them in the clothes dryer to heat them up for a few minutes then stretch the bead. They will glide on.
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

toosahn

by toosahn

rruff wrote:Apparently this thing works well... never used it though: http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Be ... B001AYML7K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It definitively works well. Saves your thumbs and hands from undue abuse.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Several years ago when there was only one size of Veloplugs I tapted them in place and I use lates tubes. There was a small space that the Veloplugs did not cover ( I am talking an eyelash of thickness) and the latex tubes eventually migrated into this space and blew. Just for your information; not sure it applies to you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com