Question on bibshorts inseam - why so long on me??!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VTBike

by VTBike

So I have a few nice pairs of bib shorts - mostly Castelli, the free aero race are my go-to's, and the endurance for other rides. I recently purchased a pair of Capo Verona & Tempo's from bonktown to add a few more in for the new season. So my issue is the inseam length. I'm 6'2, and the inseam on all of my shorts comes down to just above the top of my knee cap.. maybe an 1" above. The Capo's were much longer, maybe 1/2" above the kneecap, or just grazing. Sizes are all XL. What's up w/ this? I hate shorts that come down that far.. I mean, not hate, but I would love to have them be slightly shorter. I've also tried on a bunch of Giordana bibs (the lazer and forma red) with same result. Are my upper legs just short - and I have a extra long torso and lower leg??! Just the wrong bibs? What gives here? I don't see any pro's with shorts down to their knees, but I know they are also like a foot shorter than me..!

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Could it just be different manufacturer sizing? I've got one pair of shorts that are particularly long so I fold the grip section back and over. That would get the 1/2". Some pros do it as well - probably for a better tan!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Long bib inseam lengths is the rage right now. I think it's so people can feel "pro" as I've noticed a lot of shorts in the peloton getting longer too over the past few years. A friend and I were talking a few days ago and we both agreed that we'd kill for shorts that had 9.5" / 23cm inseams. The fashion seems to be dictating shorts with 11.25" / 28.5cm inseams. I don't get it and it really limits the number of shorts I can buy without having the fabric run over the top of my knees and into the crease behind my knees. Talk about annoying.

Don't feel too bad. I brought the same topic up a few months ago: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=92575

bricky21

by bricky21

As stated long shorts are a fad. They've been getting longer and longer for some time now. As with everything trendy it goes way to far until it becomes distasteful. I think we've reached that point. In my own experience I bought a pair of Assos Mille shorts not knowing that they were the"I saw a pro with longer shorts so that must mean longer is better length" and have been thoroughly disgusted with the fact that they're actually baggy were they should be gripping my knees. I guess the trendy bicycle shants fit nicely on those who have no shape in their legs, but if you have large muscular quads then your gonna look like a goof ball in them. Thanks for the opportunity to get that off my chest I feel much better now :thumbup:

milkbaby

by milkbaby

My favorite bibs are Castelli Free which I notice have shorter inseams than bibs from other manufacturers in general.

I think the long inseam trend follows from the professional ranks where the greater length means greater logo space for sponsor advertising. Not a fan of it myself.

VTBike

by VTBike

Thanks for all the replies, and frankly, the moral support here! Yeah, I suppose its just a trend. The shorts that the "basketball" types wear now just makes me sick.. I mean, they are not shorts if the go down to your calves! I hate it; and buying summer shorts, like khakis is even a chore. Jcrew seem to be the only chain store that has shorts in a 9" inseam still.

Anyway, the free aero's are definitely my shortest bib, so I'm sticking with them. Happy that last years model can be had cheaply right now.. and happy I have 3 nice pairs to wear for this season. If the 80's are back though, its only a matter of time before short bibs are back in style, and I will be stocking up.

bricky21

by bricky21

Well if we get enough people on board and make enough noise we can get the trend reversed, so that in just a few years time the length will be acceptable. At that point I suggest we all stock up before they go so short that bibs look like speedos :P

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Pro's are usually skinny so they wear a relatively smaller bib size, than us weekend warriors. So for them inseam length is correct, while for us it can be too long.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

lcoolb wrote:Pro's are usually skinny so they wear a relatively smaller bib size, than us weekend warriors. So for them inseam length is correct, while for us it can be too long.

I'm guessing that's the OP's issue. I'm 6'2½, 75kg, and I wear medium Castelli bibs.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Geoff

by Geoff

That's probably right. I didn't even understand what you guys were talking about, as I haven't noticed a change innthe last 10 years, or so.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I noticed a change in length in my Castelli Body Paint bibs, they were about an inch longer than the previous year, in the same size.

konky

by konky

Assos have 2 length sizes for thier bibs. Medium and large. The medium is a short fitting and large size is the old one size they previously did. Anyway I've got shortish legs and the new shorter fit really works for me. Like no other bib short I've tried. At last a bib that fits.

TTP

by TTP

Rapha pro team shorts have short inseams

VTBike

by VTBike

MattSoutherden wrote:
lcoolb wrote:Pro's are usually skinny so they wear a relatively smaller bib size, than us weekend warriors. So for them inseam length is correct, while for us it can be too long.

I'm guessing that's the OP's issue. I'm 6'2½, 75kg, and I wear medium Castelli bibs.

Interesting - how is the length of the straps for you? At 200 lbs (95kg); I have a 32" inseam, and a very fit body... yet, the XL straps are bordering on too short. Shorts wise, I could probably go down to a large. I can't imagine a medium though...

But with the medium, how is the inseam length for you? Same or shorter than I'm describing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Mavic Hc shorts have some of the shortest legs I know of. And a good fit otherwise.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."