New shoes - Oh, suits you sir!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TCx

by TCx

Just seen that Rapha are due to launch their first road shoe ~300g each with Easton soles.
Look rather nice, and although "discrete" in style, very obviously Rapha!

What do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Is it pink or baby blue :beerchug:

carbon2329

by carbon2329

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2012/03/ ... our-shoes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
rapha-shoes.jpg

Leviathan

by Leviathan

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... hoe-33448/
Yak leather? I mean really? Surely thats got to come into the "Mine is rarer than yours so it must be better" demographic?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Leviathan wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/rapha-launch-grand-tour-shoe-33448/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yak leather? I mean really? Surely thats got to come into the "Mine is rarer than yours so it must be better" demographic?

Oh, Yak leather is supposed to be very supple....also it isn't as dense so therfore is lighter than the traditional cowhide.... :smartass: :noidea:

astranoc

by astranoc

They are ugly and not even a little bit stylish. We may as well wear golf shoes.

record

by record

I like them. They have Giro carbon sole, they are not THAT expensive and they look very stylish (similar to fizik shoes). Can't see any reason to hate them, at least now.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

mathi

by mathi

I will be having a pair 8)

nspace

by nspace

These look awesome, contrary to most cycling shoes. The titanium d-rings are a really nice touch, as the the machined buckle. The visual throwback of highlighting the lower strap, and how it looks like a toe strap, is really nice. Finally a cycling shoe that doesn't look like a bloody shoe from a NASA space mission.

If only I could afford.

TimmS

by TimmS

I don't like like all those little holes, it's gonna be Fizik R3 SL for me :)

VTBike

by VTBike

Yeah, $450 is definitely over the line for bike shoes for me - mostly from an unproven bike shoe manufacturer. That, and yeah, these look like golf shoes. I imagine the only people buying these are those that just have a large discretionary income; unless somehow, these turn out to be the most comfortable things around. I personally ride S-works, as well as my Wife, so between us, we already have $600 in biking shoes - probably more than the average biker family.. yet, these still scream poser to me.

kac

by kac

I too am a skeptic. Two problems: The snob appeal element verges on overwhelming ("Excuse me. Do you have any Grey Poupon?") and I've had bad experiences with Rapha leather gloves: the stitching is more appropriate, perhaps, to Saville Row bespoke suits than an item that requires durability. Plus, the price is just breathtaking and the styling too "country club".

With the usual disclaimers,
KAC

Wingnut

by Wingnut

This is the first buyer of the new Rapha shoes! :mrgreen:

Sorry I couldn't help myself...lol
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 2901 times

nspace

by nspace

Mostly unproven, maybe, but they probably did a smart move by working with notable names in the cycling and footwear industry to bring a shoe that has the best of both worlds, style and function. $450 is definitely expensive, but not completely out of line with what other companies are charging for high performance shoes. Will they be comfy, perform well, and be durable? Time will tell I guess. I think they look great; and don't look like golf shoes at all. The fact that they don't look like conventional cycling shoes is the nice thing. Those who appreciate the Rapha aesthetic, will probably like these shoes.

Those who like: http://www.xxcycle.com/marques/sidi/images/large/14207.jpg probably wont.

People will always be critical of Rapha, but sometime style and design brings value too, its the same reason lots of people are willing to pay more for an Apple computer. You can go on an on about technical specs, etc, but its difficult for some to equate additional value to the aesthetics and industrial design.

I'd wager a guess that the cost per gram that some here have put into their bikes is far more out of whack than the cost of these shoes.

nspace

by nspace

astranoc wrote:They are ugly and not even a little bit stylish. We may as well wear golf shoes.

They would look awesome with on your bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com