SRAM Red - the definite thread, for all your questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brycerider

by brycerider

Good article. SRAM better up production of their new FD as that looks like a good value upgrade to me.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
N+1 It Never Stops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgordon

by mgordon

So what is the better option - new shifters, new F-der, and old cranks, or new shifers, old F-der, and old cranks?

I never ride 39x11 anyways...

Thanks!

VTBike

by VTBike

mgordon wrote:So what is the better option - new shifters, new F-der, and old cranks, or new shifers, old F-der, and old cranks?

I never ride 39x11 anyways...

Thanks!

Seriously sounds like the best bang for buck option is old shifters, old r-der, old cranks, new f-der. Gives you a 9/10, according to Velo. Then, get some new chainrings that fit the old crank when available. That way, you could have the gropu for roughly: $350 for used 2011 shifter, $170 for new 2011 rear der., $120ish for new 2012 F-der., $250-300ish for new 2011 crank. Oh, I would add in purchasing the new 2012 cassette if its that much quieter.

Only thing - if old Red was a 5/10 -- how does just throwing on a new F-der up the shifting score THAT much? Just thought of that.... any answers? Is it the new low noise factor??

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

the old front derailleur sucked that bad. flexy, poor profiling, hyper-sensitive to cage alignment (intolerant of a flexible braze mount).

mimason

by mimason

Is anyone running Praxis rings with Red? I have this setup with the exception of a Force FD. Would the new FD yield better results than Force FD and Praxis rings?

spartan

by spartan

boonen's bike for milan san remo contradict's velonews article. he is using steel cage front derailleur with sram tt rings. the rest of the group is new 2012 parts. same setup as liquigas cannondale.

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

VNTech

by VNTech

aaric wrote:Great writeup. Much appreciated.

So I can get an idea of the improvement you are seeing relative to my personal experience, how would you rate the old red with a force or steel cage red front derailleur?

Thanks - I really do appreciate the subjective scale, and amount of work you put into the article, and your continued replies to this thread.

8/10, probably.

As for Boonen's bike contradicting the story, no clue there. I've been riding the Yaw FD all week with a SRAM SRM and Force rings and it certainly works better than the same crank setup with a Force FD.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

robsc

by robsc

Hi Caley
Interesting to hear that you are also running/testing the Force crankset . I currently run 2011 Red shifters with a force fd and crankset . So it would be a good upgrade to just replace the fd to the new Yaw red fd ?
Scott Addict (7,19kg) (15,8lbs)

billspreston

by billspreston

I've just ordered the new Red group along with a Hollowgram SiSL crank and Praxis chainrings as an upgrade to my current "old" Red setup. I'm reading conflicting reports of how the Yaw FD is working with the SiSL crank. Anybody have first experience with this that can verify it works? Concerned that I may be making a rather expensive mistake.

cswi9367

by cswi9367

works fine for me. i used new red throughout and SISL SRM crankset. Force Black rings.

front shifting is flawless. i did not even get the small-small noise that velonews claims.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg

billspreston

by billspreston

Great news, thanks cswi9367! :beerchug:

That's quite the serious machine you've got there as well, wow very nice. Just gotta shorten that rear brake housing :shock:

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Very good information in this topic. Thanks everybody!

I ride Sram Red with a Red steel cage front derailleur, and it works fine so far, but a little chainrub and that is annoying. I think that this can be fixed.
I am thinking about the new Sram Red yaw front derailleur as soon as it will be available. Is it a good upgrade with the old shifters or do I need to get the new shifters as well.
I certainly will buy the new Red cassette. I hold it in my hands and it feels and looks beautiful.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

marcob

by marcob

Would the new fd work with rotor q-rings ?

showdown

by showdown

Here's one for ya... (or should I say Yaw... [bad pun intended])

I have a new Red 2012 grouppo sitting on my bike waiting to be setup. I also have a Quarq (S975 with black Red chainrings from last year) I of course want to take advantage of the new shifting tech but before I tear my cranks apart I wanted to see if there were any thoughts on using the new Red 2012 rings with an old S975 crank?

Thanks in advance for the super sleuthing!

-J

cswi9367

by cswi9367

@ showdown:
yes, ive seen that setup with new red rings on quarq. necessary, no, but , it works. Guy here locally riding it that way with entire new red kit and last year quarq with new red rings. or, like i say, no necessary and just use existing rings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com