Giant Road Wheels~anybody on them/tried them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cydonian74

by cydonian74

As the title asks really; they're lightish in weight, good hubs and internals, some have asymmetric rims and decent spokes, plus a slightly wider (and in vogue?) rim, so are they anygood? Durable? Rider weight limit? Etc.
:noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cydonian74

by cydonian74

What? Nobody? :noidea:

robertg

by robertg

I have ridden the PSLR1 and I liked them better than my Hed Ardennes. They are basically DT Swiss wheels so great quality. The set I tried came in slightly above advertised at 1426g, compared to 1390 claimed.

shotgun

by shotgun

I haven't ridden them but the carbon clinchers with magnesium brake surface weight in at 1.8kg, about 200g more than claimed. Build looks solid though.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

WasFab

by WasFab

Are they better ride than the Cosmic SL?

mjduct

by mjduct

You mean like this???

WasFab

by WasFab

mjduct wrote:You mean like this???

???

robertg

by robertg

Which wheelset are you referring to, since they don't have one with a Magnesium braking surface. The PSLR1 Aero which is the their carbon clincher is right in the neighborhood of claimed weights, since my LBS has a set in the shop.

shotgun wrote:I haven't ridden them but the carbon clinchers with magnesium brake surface weight in at 1.8kg, about 200g more than claimed. Build looks solid though.

cydonian74

by cydonian74

robertg wrote:I have ridden the PSLR1 and I liked them better than my Hed Ardennes. They are basically DT Swiss wheels so great quality. The set I tried came in slightly above advertised at 1426g, compared to 1390 claimed.

Do the HED wheels have a wider rim than Giant wheels (23mm v 21mm)? If that's the case, how do Giants claims about running lower pressures, ride quality etc. compare to HED? Also what weight are you?

robertg

by robertg

The Hed is wider at 23mm, versus the Giant 21mm. I ride my Hed at a lower pressure as well, usually around 100psi and did the same with the Giants. I would like to get more time on them, but they just felt smoother on the road, and even though they are the same weight as the Heds, they felt more substantial in the hand. I weigh in at 175lbs.

shotgun

by shotgun

My mistake, it's a Scandium rim. It's the P-SLR1, my LBS weight it at around 1.8kg, hopefully their scale was wrong.

In any case, I just read that it lead an aero-wheel test in Cycling Weekly. I can't comment on the article, because I haven't read it.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/new ... est/15986/
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

fabiancanchelara wrote:

???

Giant road wheels. :wink:

WasFab

by WasFab

Grasschopper wrote:
fabiancanchelara wrote:

???

Giant road wheels. :wink:

aero?

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

My guess is no.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

tcramer

by tcramer

I have a set of the P-SLR1. Came in at 1.450 grams, which was a bit disappointing compared to the claimed 1.390 grams. But aside from that I think they perform very well. Used to ride HED Ardennnes and I think the Giant wheels are as good or maybe a little better. Very even tension on the spokes, perfectly round, but you can however see that they are only 16 spokes in the front wheel. The hubs spin very smooth, but that was also expected due to the DT Swiss internals. I rode them for 1.400 km on a training camp in Spain and had no problem with them. Nice that you don't need rim tape.
Bring the mountains to Denmark!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com