Would you ride an Alfine Di2 equipped bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Would you ride a road bike with the Alfine Di2 hub?

Yes
56%
No
28%
Depends on the weight.
8%
Don't know.
8%

Total votes: 25

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

Hey all,

So a few weeks ago I posted a question asking how many of you would ride a 1x10 road bike:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99937

But then I heard about shimano coming out with an 11 speed Di2 internally geared hub.

So now I have a new question.

Ignoring the fact that internally geared hubs are heavier, and given the fact that an alfine DI2 equipped bike would have a higher gearing range than a derailleur equipped bike (even with a 53/39 crankset and a 12/27 cassette) and that it would have the ability to shift at a standstill or while under power, would you ride (own) a Di2 Alfine equipped bike as your primary bike?

Personally, I have no idea.
I'm so rubbish at this.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Its generally good for a day to day ride. But not for epic fast and long rides as hub gears have a lot more drag in the system compared to a chain and sprocket systems. Even if fully worn in.

It will be very cool as its really low on maintenance and a nice neat look to it. ( if you hide the batteries).

But there is already a cable-pulled road shifter made for the the Alfine 11. Its by a Taiwanese company that its pretty cool. Tried it at Taipei Show just last week. Its based on the Micro-shift levers but with Alfine-8 and Alfine-11 specific internals.

I would ride it as a daily commute. But not as my all out road bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

metanoize

by metanoize

I'm definitely getting an Alifine Di2 bike with Gates belt drive and Schlumpf High Speed Drive, and disc brakes. But I'll use the bike for commuting and groceries!

maxxevv

by maxxevv

metanoize wrote:I'm definitely getting an Alifine Di2 bike with Gates belt drive and Schlumpf High Speed Drive, and disc brakes. But I'll use the bike for commuting and groceries!

That'll be one purty but somewhat pricey commuter though! :shock:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

metanoize wrote:I'm definitely getting an Alifine Di2 bike with Gates belt drive and Schlumpf High Speed Drive, and disc brakes. But I'll use the bike for commuting and groceries!

To park next to the "only for taking the kids to school" Maserati? :lol:

bones

by bones

I'd ride it on a commuter.

metanoize

by metanoize

maxxevv wrote:

That'll be one purty but somewhat pricey commuter though! :shock:

I don't own a car! But if I did, it would be an Aston Marin ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

odin99

by odin99

if the hub also had power capabilities...