HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:56 am 

I'm looking for a set of regular everyday wheels. I already have a 38mm deep carbon wheels but seeing as I'm doing alot of coastal cycles these days I want a low enough profile wheel to avoid cross wind/gust etc. Im 5ft11, 175lbs and strong enough so the wheels need to be stiff enough. My budget is around €6-700, and I'm between the Fulcrum Racing Zero Dark Label, Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 C24 and Mavic Ksyrium SL. Can any recommand any of these or provide any feedback/faults with them. Thanks in advance...!

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:56 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:08 am 

Garret C wrote:
I'm looking for a set of regular everyday wheels. I already have a 38mm deep carbon wheels but seeing as I'm doing alot of coastal cycles these days I want a low enough profile wheel to avoid cross wind/gust etc. Im 5ft11, 175lbs and strong enough so the wheels need to be stiff enough. My budget is around €6-700, and I'm between the Fulcrum Racing Zero Dark Label, Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 C24 and Mavic Ksyrium SL. Can any recommand any of these or provide any feedback/faults with them. Thanks in advance...!

the mavic and fulcrum will be stiffer
the shimano and fulcrum have better hubs
i would say fulcrum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:30 am 

I have had or have all 3.

I had the zero and sold them since they were so close to the SL's and they were really quite close with the hubs being nicer on the Fulcrum, they seemed to roll much longer than the SL's, it was a color choice. They did suffer some with strong crosswinds, I am guessing the fat spokes were to blame. Both of them really look awesome on the bike while it is sitting there doing nothing. For all around I really prefer the c24's lighter by alot in the weannie world, better hubs, thin spokes that do not seem to suffer from cross winds as much as the other two sets. Smoother on the roughest roads that will help on the 100 plus mile rides. I have about 2000 miles on my c24's. I pull them off and slide the SL's and alway go back.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:05 am 

oreoboreo wrote:
I have had or have all 3.

I had the zero and sold them since they were so close to the SL's and they were really quite close with the hubs being nicer on the Fulcrum, they seemed to roll much longer than the SL's, it was a color choice. They did suffer some with strong crosswinds, I am guessing the fat spokes were to blame. Both of them really look awesome on the bike while it is sitting there doing nothing. For all around I really prefer the c24's lighter by alot in the weannie world, better hubs, thin spokes that do not seem to suffer from cross winds as much as the other two sets. Smoother on the roughest roads that will help on the 100 plus mile rides. I have about 2000 miles on my c24's. I pull them off and slide the SL's and alway go back.

+1 for the C24's.

I have about 5000miles on them. And yes, they are a whole lot less susceptible to crosswinds compared to the SL's which I had before. Comfort wise, like for like comparison, using identical tyres and tubes, they roll smoother than the Ksyrium SL's. And I'm about 165lbs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:28 am 

The only time I have ever ridden Kysriums I immediately felt a strong crosswind problem, haven't thought about it since.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 am 

Sounds the the SL's will be dropped from my list. Just have to decide between the Zeros and the C24's now. From what everyone has said Im thinking the following:

Zero's
Pros:
Look a bit more bling.
Have smoother hubs.
Stiff
Cons:
Not great in strong cross winds.
Maybe too harsh on rougher road. (Roads in ireland are pretty rough)
More expensive

C24's
Pros:
Lighter by aprox 50g
Good on rough roads
Good in cross winds.
Cheaper
Cons:
Not as flash

I guess the c24's would be a better match for me but I have to admit the Zeros look really great....! Oh decisons....!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:54 am 

I think Fulcrum zero is maybe what you like the most. Just go for it. Very nice wheels and not harsh IME. Pros train on them, will be more than fine for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:01 am 

I would say Fulcrum.
Love mine and the cross wind isnt a big deal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:37 pm 

i ve got the c24s and wanted a more robused set of wheels and went for the Zero's, they arrived and looked perfect BUT both hubs were as rough as a badgers arxse, with alot of drag, felt like there was grit in with those ceramic bearings, got another set being delivered so hopefully a one off - or that is what they all do sir, give it another 200miles :shock: they sould be the same as Shamal/Eurus wheels and they are silky smooth.
Second set here next week, so will let you know.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:17 pm 

I had SL, Shamal and currently on C24. I prefer C24 over the other two.

SL: Broken two spokes in three months

Shamal: Stiff and free rolling but harsh ride and chrome plating on spoke nipples flakes off after a year.

C24: More aero and smoother ride from its steel spoke (I'm never going back to alumium spoke again). Light and adequately stiff for me. I'm 165lbs with 270W FTP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:28 pm 

Campagnolo Neutron ultra would be a great wheelset to consider.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:16 pm 

C24s, they are lighter (on average) and probably more aero than Zeros: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/wp-cont ... -table.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this is how they build them: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/a-l ... el-factory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 am 

Sorry, OT a bit, but is it possible to convert Neutrons from Campag to Shimano/Sram freehub?

I know they come in both, but can they be converted?

Cheers in advance.

GJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:12 am 

I love the Shimano wheels. Their hubs are the best, can't beat 'em. Solid and stiff enough for me at about 180 these days.

Mavic wheels have never done it for me - their hubs and QC just aren't up to standards.

Fulcrum or Campy is a good option, but I don't like alu spokes at all, so unless you go all the way up to the carbon rim with steel spokes, I'd leave 'em.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:12 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:32 am 

In a way I agree with Lance - if you go the Campagnolo(Fulcrum) route I'd pick steel spokes......great, great bearings, lightweight, and durability.....and using steel spokes that's also what the Shimano option has so at that point it would be more apples-to-apples with regard to the feedback......Campy Neutrons.......

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next