Saddle to bar Drop - question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

bikes look cooler with big drops. who cares how they ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Valbrona wrote:And with Cavendish he is by default probably having to have the smallest frame in the range, which maybe doesn't allow as much variation in positioning than if he was a taller guy of more average proportions.

Uh, reality check? He's 5'9", he's not a freakin' dwarf.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

wingguy wrote:
Valbrona wrote:And with Cavendish he is by default probably having to have the smallest frame in the range, which maybe doesn't allow as much variation in positioning than if he was a taller guy of more average proportions.

He's 5'9", on a good day. Of course he is. Lol
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:
wingguy wrote:

He's 5'9", on a good day. Of course he is. Lol

How often have you seen him next to someone who's not a professional athlete? Most people would look short sprinting against Hushovd and Greipel! Fair comment though, he's probably 5'7+1/2" and edited his own wikipedia stats :wink: Point is though, he's not exactly stretching to fit on a 49, he was on a 52 Spesh with a long stem.

To see how he compares to other (tall and short) riders, check out this photo. But more importantly, check out the podium girl on the right.

lcoolb

by lcoolb

That podium girl isn't very benificial for flexibility in the lower body region ;)

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

RussellS wrote:And for the recreational racers and professional racers, you rarely if ever see them using the drops.

Rubbish.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just having fun with my munchkin comment re: Cavendish. He's a machine and can ride with whatever drop he chooses. But I hear what you're saying.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Gotta agree on the comfort part. Usually, for the most important consideration isn't so much about 'comfort' per se, its more about 'efficiency'. The position that allows one to ride the most efficiently with the least compromise in power output.

"Efficiency" being the key word.

More often than not, a position can be 'uncomfortable', but its more aerodynamic, yet it does not hamper ones breathing or leg movement. And allows one to generate the most power for the longest sustained periods of time. That I think is the position which most professionals would aspire to achieve. This however, varies with terrain and riding needs. Example would be riding the cobbles of the Ardennes and the high mountains of the Alps.

Its a different preposition altogether if you're setting up your bike for your first century ride or multi-day touring trip, since you've no idea if your body can take the rigours. Then that's when 'comfort' may be a premium consideration.

elviento

by elviento

5'7" + 1/2" is already a generous estimate. His saddle height is 68.Xcm. Measure yours and you will understand.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

em3

by em3

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

elviento wrote:5'7" + 1/2" is already a generous estimate. His saddle height is 68.Xcm. Measure yours and you will understand.

Ok that makes more sense, I'm only 5 foot 8 or so but my saddle height is ~72.5cm. Granted I have a long inseam and short torso but still that is a pretty low saddle height for someone that is supposedly only 1/2'' shorter...

Also, I just switched to a more "aggressive" position with a bit of saddle to bar drop and a more stretch out reach. Like the feel of it but about an hour or so into the ride I can feel a bit of tiredness in my neck/lower back. Once I'm off the bike and touch my toes once or twice it's immediately gone.

You guys think this is just something that my body will get more adjusted to over time and go away and my muscles maybe build/adjust? I have no flexibility issues, hands on floor no trouble etc... just never really ride with some noticeable drop before
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

tommasini

by tommasini

Consider basing your drop on what you have first experimented / worked with - not just on pictures of pro's bikes....although that can be a gauge of where you are at any point in time........you don't just instantly adapt to a lower position - it takes work and added flexibility that until dealt with just isn't there. My son is a collegiate football kicker - to perform at that high level the flexibility needed is not normal - you have to work with it. For the bike, you have to work at spending time down low to the point that it's no so uncomforable after all and the muscles have been conditioned to give you good power output down there too. Once that happens I'll bet you'll again and again instinctively be grabbing for the drops - and possibly even wondering if you should go lower..........so time to experiment again. I restart this cycle each winter on the indoor trainer - become accustomed to the flexibility and physical demands of being low - and work at it a little and then more.....and soon it's easy like pie. I'm 52 years old, 5' 11" tall, and LOVE my 5 1/2" drop from saddle top to center of bars.....with 130 mm stems and deep drop bars no less.

Here's some old pictures - bikes have been upgraded abit since this from 2 years ago - need to show you a new view of my garage door sometime.....
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s314 ... deas-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s314 ... 8acrop.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And in reference to Cav - ever notice in front-on pictures how LOW his upper body and head is in a sprint - he's got his head so stinkin low compared to everyone else - I take that to the bank when it comes to Wednesday night worlds sprints...........regardless of where his handlebars actually are positioned. Here is one of many similar pictures - you decide - do you think that beside athletic talent that he has something a little more going for him?

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... 29,r:6,s:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While no one was really negatively humping Cav due to his height - being "not so big" in stature is great in cycling......being "not so american fat" is many, many times even better.......... :thumbup:

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Awesome bike! Also, I totally get what you mean regarding comfort in the position. I have been riding the same position set up, bars just a tiny bit below saddle on my commuter for years and my body seems to just naturally go to that. I think it's part of my muscle memory to just instinctively go to that position, I know I will have to maybe work on "untraining" my body in a sense to just instinctively go to that spot.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend