Titanium external cam skewers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Hmmmm... I succumbed to picking up some lightweight titanium quick release skewers since I switched to a heavier saddle to offset the increase in weight. I got some Aerozine skewers and am waiting on some KCNC to come in the mail too.

When I installed the Aerozine skewers, they seem to catch on the groove in the ball end of the cam, not closing to 90 degrees angle from the hub axle. After a little force, they actually pop over and can close to more than 90 degrees. The instructions with the Aerozine skewers say to run them parallel to the fork, but the lever can be made to close to a tighter angle than that. So is 90 degrees angle to the axle correct or closed down until the lever can't be pushed inwards any more? On the rear, I have them closed a little tighter than 90 degrees, shielded in the space between the chainstay and seatstay.

There isn't the clicked close feel of heftier exposed cam QR that I have been using (old Zipp and Easton skewers). Not sure if they were squeeking over rough road surfaces, but I could hear something that was either the skewers or bottles squeeking around in loose bottle cages. I am 59 kg (130 pounds) and not too hard on equipment, but I obviously don't want my wheels to be moving around in the dropouts...

Is there any test to make sure they are clamped to the proper clamping force? I tend to be ham-fisted when tightening things too, so maybe they are already too tight? :) Thanks for your help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I find only the Shimano you can get it right by being parallel to the axle, it's perfect everytime.

I have zipps that won't close it wants a bit less than parallel.
So it's better to feel as instructions are usually generic.
You can crunch on the carbon pretty good if you are not careful .. so don't go nuts to crank it down just to troubleshoot some noise. I found some of the light ones do make noises.
I use less tension and check the axle is still clamped in place after riding.

That said I am happier to use Dura Ace and that the 80g hit. But the Shimano skewer is too thick to go through some hubs.

camber66

by camber66

I'm using KCNC titanium skewers, yes, it shave 100 gram compare to my Campy steel skewers. But I found that my Shamal is litle bit flexy with KCNC. Also one time a rear wheel stay curved and moved in rear dropout. It's not for racing, I think IMHO

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Thank you for the tips and advice! I will be be careful not to clamp with too much force (a problem I tend to have with all fasteners and bolts!) and continue to check the wheels after each ride. I like the looks and light weight of these skewers and hopefully the noise is just an annoyance...

MDiddy

by MDiddy

PoorCyclist wrote:I find only the Shimano you can get it right by being parallel to the axle, it's perfect everytime.

I have zipps that won't close it wants a bit less than parallel.
So it's better to feel as instructions are usually generic.
You can crunch on the carbon pretty good if you are not careful .. so don't go nuts to crank it down just to troubleshoot some noise. I found some of the light ones do make noises.
I use less tension and check the axle is still clamped in place after riding.

That said I am happier to use Dura Ace and that the 80g hit. But the Shimano skewer is too thick to go through some hubs.

I agree with this. The KCNC's are nice and light, but they don't hold the wheels nearly as well as my stock Mavic, Easton or Dura Ace skewers did.

sideshow_bob

by sideshow_bob

I'm pretty much solely on Dura Ace skewers for the last 5 or so years.

I've recently built a wheel around a Chris King R45 rear hub. DA doesn't go through the hub, short of taking a skewer to a machinist to have the shaft turned a little, anyone found an alternative to DA that is just as solid/reliable that is slightly thinner?

Bhowe

by Bhowe

Any published weights on the DA's somewhere?

kbzoo

by kbzoo

Dura Ace skewers weigh about 135g if I remember correctly.

cerro

by cerro

Used Aerozine on my road bike, mtb and commuter before. Now just commuter and mtb, never had any problems with them, thinks they work perfect for my 62kg. Use Tune U20 on my road bike now, half weight :)

ProudDaddy

by ProudDaddy

Perhaps I've been lucky but I ride and race year round with lightweight ti skewers (kcnc and generic ebay versions) including roubaix type road races and cyclocross. Never had an issue with a skewer, but I do crank mine down probably more than most people. Just use a little muscle. My race weight is 142-150 but I am an aggressive strong sprinter type rider.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Most lightweight skewers are pretty basic compared to standard Shimano and Campa ones so you need to make sure the lightweight skewers are clamping down the wheel properly.
That often means exerting extra force on the handle as there just isn't as much leverage.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Stockie

by Stockie

I noticed that my rearwheel (Easton EA90) Aero was rubbing the seat- and chainstays on my Cervélo Soloist Team. The paint is worn off and a little spot of aluminium is visible. I used KCNC quick releases, could the be the cause of this problem?
Are Tune DC14 skewers stronger?
I Will make the leap

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

camber66 wrote:I'm using KCNC titanium skewers, yes, it shave 100 gram compare to my Campy steel skewers. But I found that my Shamal is litle bit flexy with KCNC. Also one time a rear wheel stay curved and moved in rear dropout. It's not for racing, I think IMHO

I have heard the same from people who have swapped of Ti skewers - its not worth it..
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

IMO it has nothing to do with them being made out of Ti or not, rather an unfortunate combination of frame dropout and skewer design.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have used KCNC Ti skewers for ages without issue
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com