Advice on rear hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Raman

by Raman

Hello guys,

Been away from cycling for a while. Last Friday I dusted off my bike and started to clean it up. When I got to rear wheels, I noticed two spokes on the rear hub were loose. When I looked closer, I noticed that a piece of the hub was missing! By the way, the wheels are XXX Lites.

I took the rear wheel to the shop where I bought them. Today they got back to me telling me that it would cost me $800 to repair the wheel. :evil: Then they said, we do have a pair of them same wheels from 2010 that we can sell you for $800.

I asked the rep: If I was to give you a rear hub, how much would you charge me to build a wheel? He replied $60 for the wheel and $20 to glue your tyre back on. So then I asked him, where he is coming up with $800. Apparently Bontrager will not sell just the hub, they will only rebuild the whole wheel.

My thought was to just pick up a Campagnolo record hub and build the wheel with it. Are there any other hubs that I should keep in mind that are Campy compatible?

eric

by eric

You could get a BikeStoreHub SL211 hub. They're inexpensive and good quality for the price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raman

by Raman

Thank you Eric. Great price and even lighter than the Campy. Any known quality or strength issues?

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

I have a pair with the Shimano cassette body but have about 500 miles on them with zero issues. They are the $100 model. Brandon at bikehubstore is really easy to deal with and I'm sure would take care of you if you had a problem.

Geoff

by Geoff

It's pretty hard to beat a Campagnolo hub, though...

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Very true, they are worth the money

Raman

by Raman

Thank you everyone for your input.

Regarding spokes... Whats recommended these days? Sapim blade ?

eric

by eric

Sapim CX-rays are nice, but expensive. Their Laser and Race round spokes are about 1/3 the price.

The BHS SL211 hub has a narrow right flange and wide left flange so the spoke tension difference is large. You can lace the NDS radial heads out to reduce the difference. That's the only issue I can see with them. They're not the same quality as White Ind, Chris King, etc but they're quite good for the price.

Geoff

by Geoff

The Race spokes are good, too. The CX-Rays build a really stiff wheel and are lighter. If you want to be funky, you can build your wheels with CX on the drive-side and CX-Rays on the non-drive side. That is really stiff. You need to slot the hub, so it works best with 'factory' hubs (Canpagnolo or Shimano).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

khaostik

by khaostik

You can buy cn spoke 424 which are equal to cx ray, but cost 1€/spoke.

Regards,

FD