One chainring

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stoeperd

by Stoeperd

Can somebody let me see how a chanring is mounted on the crank if you got only one chainring? I want that too and will place on both sides a chainring without teeths.
The bike isn't the problem

Tim

by Tim

you can do it in two ways.
the first way which i would recommend is to cut the chainringbolts.

the second is to replace the dismounted chainring with distans.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

or you can get single ring bolts and not have to mess with cutting bolts

ifdeluxe

by ifdeluxe

He's mounting chainguards, so he needn;t cut the bolts at all. I think he wants to know on which side of the spider to mount the ring. My answer would be to mount it where the inner ring of a road bike would be, or where the middle ring of an MTB/Triple setup would be. That will get it closer to the center of the rear cluster for improved chainline.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... e/CIMG1950
Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it.

-Chinese Proverb

Stoeperd

by Stoeperd

You got it right ifdelux. Tanx for a clear answer. My frame comes maybe at the end of the week :D.

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

yes, mont it as far to the middle as possible for a better chain line. but with the guard disc on the inner side, i suppose it won't be possible to put the chainring on the inner side of the crank, too. but if you look at most chainrings from the top of the bicycle, they have the teeth not in the very middle, kind of 1 mm aside of the center of the chainring. so at least you can turn the chainring in the direction that the teeth are a bit more in the middle(that means opposite way as they would be mounted in a 2 chainring setup, but you don't shift in a single chainring setup, so you don't have to care about that...). maybe this was explained horrible, but do you understand what i mean?
with thinner chainguard discs it is maybe possible to mount the chainring more towards the frame(depends on bb and frame), the best for this is spooky or fsa carbon(but fsa sucks in function).

LloydP

by LloydP

sounds like you want something vaguely like this: double guard kit

if i've understood correctly, you want to mount one ring with a guard both inside and outisde, yes? alternately, just mount the guard instead of the outer ring as described earlier.

Stoeperd

by Stoeperd

Yes LloydP I mean that, a double guard kit. Because I don't want to use a front derr. I must have 2 chainguard so the chain can't fall of.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

you could also use a third eye or dogfang on the inner side and just one disc on the outside. a spooky disc(carbon) is 18 grams, so the dogfang thing won't save much or anything. function is not as good, because the chain can fall of while pedalling backwards(no inside guard on the downside of the chainring). this is just used if there's not enough place at the chainstays for guard, 42 chainring etc. with the new bmc cyclocross frame this is the case, for example. off course you could go for triple bb, but q-factor other than on the roadbike is not ideal.