Advice on buying a used bike

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

edhuang

by edhuang

Hi,

I saw a listing on eBay for a used (5 months) 2010 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod in red/black color theme with the following components:

Carbon Fiber Frame and Fork, 2010 SRAM Force - Brake/Shift Levers, SRAM Force Cranks with BB30 172.5's, SRAM Rival Front and Rear Derailleur, SRAM Rival Brake Calipers, SRAM Cog 11x23, SRAM 53 x 39 chainrings, Profile Handlebars, Race Face Cadence Stem, Trek Bat Bottle Cages, Race Face Carbon Seat Post, Serfas Tires (clinchers), Fizik Arione saddle, ROL D'Huez wheels

The seller said there are some minor paint chips near the derailleur, but that's all. The bike has never been crashed. The seller also has a 100% positive rating (61 transactions), so I trust what he is saying. Could somebody advise as to the overall quality of the components and whether it's a good bike to buy? The current buy-it-now price is $2249.00..

Many thanks,

edhuang

edhuang

by edhuang

Can somebody please advise? I'm not very knowledgeable about components and would like somebody's opinion as I know how knowledgeable most of the people in this forum are! I would really appreciate any advice by anybody at all!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Decent bike, Rival are solid but mid-level components, rest of spec OK, but not a screaming deal at that price. Many decent new bikes with Rival in that price range. If you're this new to the sport, you will do much better at a bike shop than buying off EB*y. You need to be fit correctly (most important aspect of all to your enjoyment, safety, and performance) to your bike.Try a few local shops, do some web research, and come back to this (and other) forums with specific questions. Buying used off EB*y for a newbie is a crapshoot in terms of the deal, state of maintenance of the bike, and fit. False economy. Best of luck.

edhuang

by edhuang

I've owned aluminum bikes before and have been fitted for those, so I'm fairly sure that 54cm/55cm bikes fit me best, but you are correct for the most part. I agree about the Rival components, but it also has two Force components so I thought those would compensate. The bike weighs ~14.5 lbs, according to the seller. Thanks for the feedback, though!

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

I agree with Idamelio, not an amazing deal but not bad either if your set on that bike. I would maybe check out a few local Cannodale dealers if you have any and see if they can give you a good deal plus you get a warranty there. If you decide to do it don't leave feedback until you thoroughly inspect the paint chips and maybe have a good shop check them out too in case its more than just paint chips.

edhuang

by edhuang

Yeah I have it down in writing that he said there are no frame cracks, and I'll definitely be going into the LBS to have it checked out. If it doesn't check out and something's wrong, I'll just show the documentation to eBay and they should be able to force a refund.

kac

by kac

I suggest that, if you are new to cycling, you read WW for a while to get some perspectives on various brands (components, frames, etc) before purchasing. Then, fitting, Finally, purchase. As for buying a used frame, I favor the postings on WW (where some longer-term presence as a participant is needed to post "for sale" advertisements) over some potentially cycling-indifferent site like ebay.

KAC

edhuang

by edhuang

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's really much appreciated. Just a quick question, though. Would a LBS still carry 2010 cannondale models? I didn't know WW had bike listings..I guess I'll have to check those out now.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Your LBS will most likely have cleared out those 2010 models, most of the 2011, and if the bike is popular - probably will not have your size in the 2012.

Season just began pretty much, and you're looking for your bike during prime time. I just bought a used Trek SLR for my cousin however through craigslist. If you're experienced and you understand what you want in your bike regarding the specifics - it's not a bad option to look through those sellers as well as there are some screaming deals.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

edhuang wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys, it's really much appreciated. Just a quick question, though. Would a LBS still carry 2010 cannondale models? I didn't know WW had bike listings..I guess I'll have to check those out now.

Have you asked your LBS what they have for sale?Have you gone down to see them? Its not likely they would have any 2010's left but you never know..... Just a thought...

edhuang

by edhuang

I highly doubt it, but will check. The last time I bought a bike from them, I was lucky to get a 2009 Focus Variado in October 2010 and got a severe discount on it. But, Focus is a relatively unknown brand where I am (Chicago). The guy who owns the shop used to race in Japan back in the 80s and 90s and is highly trustworthy, so I'm definitely going to take it to him to examine the paint chips. His shop is absolutely tiny, slightly larger than a living room in a studio apartment, but one of the few authorized Storck dealers in the entire state. I trust the guy 100% with his expertise, especially since he builds custom wheels and steel frames for customers. Just look at this beauty!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

odin99

by odin99

edhuang wrote:I highly doubt it, but will check. The last time I bought a bike from them, I was lucky to get a 2009 Focus Variado in October 2010 and got a severe discount on it. But, Focus is a relatively unknown brand where I am (Chicago). The guy who owns the shop used to race in Japan back in the 80s and 90s and is highly trustworthy, so I'm definitely going to take it to him to examine the paint chips. His shop is absolutely tiny, slightly larger than a living room in a studio apartment, but one of the few authorized Storck dealers in the entire state. I trust the guy 100% with his expertise, especially since he builds custom wheels and steel frames for customers. Just look at this beauty!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gotta be more than one bike shop in chicago...

edhuang

by edhuang

Oh, of course, I was just mentioning the one I trust the most. But you'd be surprised how many bike shops near the city don't carry higher-end carbon bikes; most of the bike shops that carry higher-end carbon are out in the suburbs and I don't have a car because I prefer to use my bike =)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com