Lightest cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JensW

by JensW

lee16 wrote:
artray wrote:.... sram red cassette because I felt like being sensible for a while..
''

I just watched Competitive cyclist's review of Sram Red on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ApWTgrL9o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the Sram red cassette really made out of aluminum?

what i always have heard, it´s made in steel

jooo

by jooo

The new (2012?) version is like the XX cassette with a hollow steel 'block' and a pressed on aluminum large cog.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The video pertained to the old Red, and the CC dude was just flat out wrong in the statement about being made of aluminum. But it is good to know that he likes all things ceramic.

styrrell

by styrrell

Seeing as red cassettes are mostly machined out of a bock of steel, I'm surprised they don't offer a aluminum or Ti version. It would pretty much just be a case of putting in a block of metal and pressing start on the CNC. Maybe Al would crack but I would think Ti would be fine.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

styrrell wrote:Seeing as red cassettes are mostly machined out of a bock of steel, I'm surprised they don't offer a aluminum or Ti version. It would pretty much just be a case of putting in a block of metal and pressing start on the CNC. Maybe Al would crack but I would think Ti would be fine.

Not exactly same thing..

If it´s only swapping material , SRAM would done it ages ago, 6al4v titanium has totally different properties than 4130 crmo and much much more expensive, it would cost at least 500-600 usd, who will buy that?
Experimental Prototype

JensW

by JensW

styrrell wrote:Seeing as red cassettes are mostly machined out of a bock of steel, I'm surprised they don't offer a aluminum or Ti version. It would pretty much just be a case of putting in a block of metal and pressing start on the CNC. Maybe Al would crack but I would think Ti would be fine.

but as a big brand, as shimano, campagnolo and sram, durability is more important then weight, considering that they are selling to a broad public, it has to work for everybody and for a long time, thats why we probably don´t se a one in just aluminum. A Ti one would be more understandable, but at the same time, it would cost even more (Red is pricy as it is) and would probably just save some grams (it would´t be half the weight or anything like that)

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

And therefore appeal to a select few willing to pay the price differential (AKA weenies!).
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 on the Red cassette. It is both light and durable. A bit loud for some, though. Try it on the Hed 9, that'll keep you awake!

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

After some more miles on my Dura-Ace 7800 cassette from an Ultegra,
I have to say the DA is noticeably better & smoother and in my opinion,
worth the extra coin. Weight difference is only about 38g. I managed to get
mine brand new for just $9. over what a replacement 6600 cassette would've been.

mjduct

by mjduct

Mattias Hellöre wrote:

Not exactly same thing..

If it´s only swapping material , SRAM would done it ages ago, 6al4v titanium has totally different properties than 4130 crmo and much much more expensive, it would cost at least 500-600 usd, who will buy that?

people who buy Super Record 11sp cassettes (~500)

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

mjduct wrote:
Mattias Hellöre wrote:

Not exactly same thing..

SR cassettes are from separate cogs that are riveted together, these cogs are very cheap to produce, which a solid block of 6-4 ti isn´t, I may be wrong in my price assumptions about 500-600 usd, it could be higher due to increased tool wear as Ti isn´t friendly to the end mills, Cr-Mo is far much easier to work on.
Experimental Prototype

Copperband

by Copperband

jmartpr wrote:The KCNC full Ti are not available in Campy format.....not yet.

Any idea when the campy compatible versions would be released?

This year, I hope...

mjduct

by mjduct

Mattias Hellöre wrote:
mjduct wrote:
Mattias Hellöre wrote:

Not exactly same thing..

SR cassettes are from separate cogs that are riveted together, these cogs are very cheap to produce, which a solid block of 6-4 ti isn´t, I may be wrong in my price assumptions about 500-600 usd, it could be higher due to increased tool wear as Ti isn´t friendly to the end mills, Cr-Mo is far much easier to work on.

I wasn't talking about the manufacturing process, I was just responding to the question of who would pay that much for cassette...

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I don't recall if I posted this hear before, but...I had a recon alloy cassette, very light. Kind of noisy due to the alloy design and machining.

With that said, be careful with these things. The tolerances are so tight and machining so critical to proper smooth operation, that some companies are hit/miss.

Recon is one of those. Mine, nobody could setup and get it to shift properly. I never had to take my bike to the LBS, but I was stumped. A couple of guys at the shop looked at it, and were determined to get it working just to prove their prowess as mechanics...NOPE. Nobody could get this thing to shift/setup properly.

We put a DuraAce cassette on the wheel, within a minute, working great. I normally use DuraAce cassettes anyway, but wanted to be a "weight-weenie"..what a phail that was and waste of time/money.

I contacted the company that sold me the cassette, told them the situation and asked for a refund. Their response "we get that complaint about 50% of the time with that cassette"?!?!?!

Okey dokey! Thanks for looking out bros! Sent it back, got a refund and went back with my "heavy" DuraAce cassettes that actually work with my SRAM Red setup.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Copperband wrote:
jmartpr wrote:The KCNC full Ti are not available in Campy format.....not yet.

Any idea when the campy compatible versions would be released?

This year, I hope...

We sent a request for those recently but they are probably seeing if more distributors will jump in so they can justify the production.
I really hope they do as I only ride campy on my bikes and the experience witht he Shimano/SRA< ones has been very good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com