My C40 project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bontie

by bontie

I recently stumbled on a Colnago C40 B-stay in my size, and should have it in a few days.
I now have a few choices to make, and would like to hear the thoughts of WW's

Should I :
- Go Nuovo/Retro and kit it out with Campy 11 and Deda M35 stem and bars and new wheels or;
- Kit it out form its era (circa 2002) with allouy Chorus 10, and matching Eurus wheels, which I can get off another C40, which I was interested in, but found it too big?

Thanks in advance for the input
:noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

majklnajt

by majklnajt

I think 11-speed campy is ok, but Deda 35 is maybe too bulky for this classic frame.

Although willy put it on the Master frame....

c50jim

by c50jim

If you plan to ride it a lot, build it the way you'd most like to ride it. My C40s are all 10 speed Record, but with wheels newer than their era and all have the FSA carbon short drop handlebar and there was nothing like that on the market in 2003 when the last C40s were made. Heck, if we were going to be technically correct, we'd have to build all our C40s with Record 9 or 10 depending on age, FIR rims, ITM bars and stems since that's what teams using them (except the old Lampre for one season) rode them with.

Pictures most welcome.

bontie

by bontie

c50jim wrote:If you plan to ride it a lot, build it the way you'd most like to ride it. My C40s are all 10 speed Record, but with wheels newer than their era and all have the FSA carbon short drop handlebar and there was nothing like that on the market in 2003 when the last C40s were made. Heck, if we were going to be technically correct, we'd have to build all our C40s with Record 9 or 10 depending on age, FIR rims, ITM bars and stems since that's what teams using them (except the old Lampre for one season) rode them with.

Pictures most welcome.

True. I plan on using it...
Pictures may be a few months off, but I will post frame pics asap...

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

bontie wrote:I recently stumbled on a Colnago C40 B-stay in my size, and should have it in a few days.
I now have a few choices to make, and would like to hear the thoughts of WW's

Should I :
- Go Nuovo/Retro and kit it out with Campy 11 and Deda M35 stem and bars and new wheels or;
- Kit it out form its era (circa 2002) with allouy Chorus 10, and matching Eurus wheels, which I can get off another C40, which I was interested in, but found it too big?

Thanks in advance for the input
:noidea:
I have a De Rosa Merak from the same era. Went with a mix of 10 & 11 speed to keep it looking pretty correct.

andyindo

by andyindo

Love the C40's. Go Deda bar and stem. M35 may be a little too loud for the C40, otherwise take the logos off the stem at least. Those M35 bars look interesting. Go 11speed chorus or above.

Wheels, ambrosio nemesis with silver spokes preferbly on campy hubs, otherwise a set of neutrons or something similar. A set of Cosmic Carbones(the old bright yellow decals) would look good as well.

Thats my 2 cents.

kgt

by kgt

I like the crankset on your De Rosa. What is it? I also suggest a black seatpost although I like what you have per se.

Geoff

by Geoff

It's got to be old-school! I just added another Mapei Team race bike to my collection(couldn't resist) and forgot how much I love that stuff...

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

kgt wrote:I like the crankset on your De Rosa. What is it? I also suggest a black seatpost although I like what you have per se.
Crankset, BB & pin are all PMP. Post can't be changed as it has welded itself into the frame, besides I'm probably going to change the stem to a Zero 100 in Dark Metal Polish and the forks back to the original colour matched ones.

Looked like this when originally built up with Record 10 & Centaur Ultrashift.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

kgt wrote:The original fork is a must!

Have to get an 86 degree Zero 100 first so I can use the fork as it's been cut a tad short!

bontie

by bontie

Back up to seek more advice/thoughts.

The bike is now nearing completion with 2012 Chorus, and it needs wheels.

I am between Wheelsmith's Race 23's (which seem to get rave reviews and are all black etc) and Campag Neutron, which I will try and get a second hand pair or keep looking for a big discount online. Wheels need to be clinchers as the biek will most likely end up at a second home where I can then use it without having to transport a biek to and from.

Any thoughts on which of these would "suit" the C40 better?*

*Builds like this need to be "right" imo

micky

by micky

I have a C40 frameset, the first generation but with the star fork (I guess that's the name) which I will build with a 9 speed durace just cause I really like that groupset; the main problem is that I didnt find yet a complete durace in good condition yet so the frame is still sitting there but no hurry. :wink:

Please keep the topic updated with pictures!

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

I have a 2000 era C40 in black with yellow accents set up with Dura Ace 7700 and ITM bars and stem.

It's still my favourite bike.

Can't take any photos as it's still home in Australia. :(
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com