Who likes or rides classic bikes?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Limerick23

by Limerick23

Maybe a few images of classic bike, this is one of mine
Attachments
IMG_5508.jpeg

gumgardner

by gumgardner

That statue needs a bra ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

One of the guys I ride with has a Team Motorola Merckx from the 90's. It's a sweet bike, and it still has the riders name on the top tube. I drool over it every time we ride together.

kac

by kac

I've always had a weakness for those. I had a custom-built (for me) Gilmour (a Tucson-based frame builder) bike from circa 1984 with Reynolds 531 tubes, Mavic rims, C-Record hubs and Dura-Ace drive train, custom paint (by another Tucson artisan, Dan Cipriani). It was ripped-off a couple of years ago. Very sad to lose it. That written, however, there are some really fine steel frame builders whose work handily equals or betters the "classics".

KAC

headwind816

by headwind816

A local Cat-5 racer has been racing a mid-90s Serotta, orange creamsickle color. It still have downtube shifters and everything. I cannot help but smile when I see it; to me, it looks like a true steel classic.

eippo1

by eippo1

I have a 1989 Centurion Ironman Master that was my dream bike when I was 14 - recently acquired. I love this bike.

racermech

by racermech

I have 2 classics, and one semi classic

First is a motorola caloi (by mercxk) that will be getting finished up soon. Steel SLX, paint is pretty beat but still a cool bike to have

Have a second year LeMond, but it was re painted and I had the lugs bondoed to cover the lemond signature. Thinking about getting it blased and painted back to stock (still have the original fork with stock paint) Steel TSX (tsx was below SLX?) imported by ten speed drive.

Third will be a classic one day. 2003 CT1 with full record.

The merckx will be built as a bike just to have, maybe pull it out for special rides
The lemond was my first race bike, built with 600 ultegra, first year sti! Still have the original wheels I built for it.
The Colnago will never go away as I always wanted a colnago and now I have one!

Rippin

by Rippin

@ eippo1

I loved the Centurion Ironman Masters as well when I was a teenager. Great find there!
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Completely with you on this one - I have been bitten by the 'classic' bug big time. Last year I got a Baum Corretto - completely sold me on the ride qualities of a 'metal' bike and have ridden my carbon BMC with Di2 perhaps a handful of times since.
This gave me the desire to try real steel - handbuilt classic lightweight Italian. Have spent the past 12 months tracking down the parts for a restoration of a 1972 Cinelli SC - all components apart from stem, tyres and frame will be NOS Campagnolo and Cinelli - New Old Stock - all brand new out of the original boxes and never used! - amazing what you can find - here's a tease - 1972 Campy Record brakeset complete with cables:
IMG_6329 comp.JPG

Can't wait to ride it - should be posting a story of the finished bike in about 2 months.
Already picked up the frame and groupset for my next Classic - 83 De Rosa with 80's Super Record - and seriously thinking of selling the BMC to fund a modern 'classic style' steel frame.
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

dadoflam08 wrote:Completely with you on this one - I have been bitten by the 'classic' bug big time. Last year I got a Baum Corretto - completely sold me on the ride qualities of a 'metal' bike and have ridden my carbon BMC with Di2 a handful of times since.
This gave me the desire to try real steel - handbuilt classic lightweight Italian. Have spent the past 12 months tracking down the parts for a restoration of a 1972 Cinelli SC ...

That's just not fair. Is it even legal to tease like that? Is that Cinelli frame the pearl white one? I still remember lusting over that frame in a local shop where I grew up as I was just beginning to learn about the finer things in life. :beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rippin

by Rippin

Don't make me have to post pictures of my BNIB Campy C-Record, Dura Ace and Suntour parts... :twisted:
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Rippin wrote:Don't make me have to post pictures of my BNIB Campy C-Record, Dura Ace and Suntour parts... :twisted:

way too modern - it's Nuovo Record and Regina or nothing :D
Edit: - although given C-Record is the most beautiful groupset of all time maybe just this once..
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

TheRookie

by TheRookie

To stop this being a roadie dominated thread...

Now has it's one seatpost, saddle (with cloth side panels), Deore/117 rear wheel with decent tyre, shifting is STX mech's with classic alloy bodied STI shifters, V-brakes are Deore, bars have been replaced with lightweight allow but still in Gloss black.

Yes it gets used and abused!

Simon
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

micky wrote:Image

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=88907&hilit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ahh, the old fluted seat post. Don't see those too much anymore.