Colnago C59 disc brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Rich-Ti wrote:It'll just be this with less tyre clearance.

Yep, and.....460gm = +160mg more (from a raod 1.0) :cry: It is a CX fork so the road might weight a little different. :noidea:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/bike-profile- ... chase-disc"

In a few years will won't be thought of a "Weightweenies". We will be considered "Old School reto weightweenies", who use "old style brakes" because we want the bike lighter.

I'm not really anti-disc, just sarcastic. :D
Attachments
111111.jpg
222222.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hna

by hna

dyki wrote:I don't really quite get the disc brakes on the road bikes. I've never had any problems with rear brakes - even in the wet, do we need more braking power there? I seem not to have any problems locking my rear wheel in any kinds of situations...

Is UCI looking into safety of the riders taking part in crashes? How many crashes have been caused by overreacting riders braking too much/suddenly/not needing any braking in the first place? Surely heated up disc could burn one more than a heated up rim? How about cutting through helmets and parts of the bodies - when are we going to see chopped of fingers in the crashes at races? In my opinion discs for MTB and CX are fine as they mainly involve high separation between the riders (except for the start).

It is a good point that discs bring in more potentially hazardous parts into crashes. It is dangerous enough as it is, and I know that from first hand experience. I have a big scar across my ass after a mass crash where I was unlucky enough to befriend a chainring. My bib short was in pieces and so was my butt, which had to be sewn together by a race medic.

Adding two more parts, that can potentially be very dangerous when the bikes are flying all over the place in a high velocity crash, is a thought that I am not that excited about.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

^This. I don't want to be sliced by a Ginsu Rotor either.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted mega quote. PP

carbon2329

by carbon2329

LarsEjaas wrote:If you ask me, disc brakes on roadbikes are the solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

The same thing could be said about Electronic Shifting. :D

I agree with you, BTW. :D

bones

by bones

hna wrote:Adding two more parts, that can potentially be very dangerous when the bikes are flying all over the place in a high velocity crash, is a thought that I am not that excited about.

Hahaha! LOL! Now, some of our roadie brethren want to get disc brakes outlawed for MTB use too!

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I believe he is talking about road only,.... correct?

There aren't too many pelotons, or mass-group sprints, in MTB. :D

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

carbon2329 wrote:I believe he is talking about road only,.... correct?

There aren't too many pelotons, or mass-group sprints, in MTB. :D

Well there is the holeshot, where the entire field sprints toward a huge choke point at the beginning of the race.
I'm so rubbish at this.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

True, but we can all agree, I believe, the risk is significanly less in MTB & CX.

But that is just my opinion. What do I know. :D

airwise

by airwise

USA. Home of health and safety and litigation.

Is the world a better place? Doubtful. More fun? Certainly not.

spartan

by spartan

good article on disc brakes and the UCI.

for those who are worried about insufficient testing/development of formula's disc brakes.

"Vezzoli (pictured above) said the 160mm front and 140mm rear rotors - and the hydraulically activated aluminum paddle levers - had been tested extensively.

"We did 20 minute mountain descents using just the front brake or just the back brake, locked on all the time, and everything was fine."

Colnago is the first to make a commercially-available disc brake equipped road bike (Canyon produced a concept bike in 2006; the bike never made it to production, because of the problems with equipping road bikes with discs, as stated on the link) but other manufacturers are not far behind. Specialized is rumored to have a disc brake road bike ready to roll. Not all manufacturers are convinced. Cervélo's Phil White has claimed road discs can heat up and fade on long descents, or fail completely. "

>> amazed. italians are now at the forefront of road innovation. is campy going to develop brakes with brembo?

http://www.bikebiz.com//news/read/brake-makers-want-uci-to-allow-disc-brakes-on-road-bikes
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

styrrell

by styrrell

"We did 20 minute mountain descents using just the front brake or just the back brake, locked on all the time, and everything was fine."

They rode down a 20 minute descent with the front brake locked? I'm thinking they meant on all the time.

Chiva

by Chiva

styrrell wrote:"We did 20 minute mountain descents using just the front brake or just the back brake, locked on all the time, and everything was fine."

They rode down a 20 minute descent with the front brake locked? I'm thinking they meant on all the time.

Locked on, not locked up :smartass:

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

bones wrote:
Oh man. I want a road fork with disc tabs too. There aren't too many options out there except for tall cyclocross forks. It would be nice if a carbon fork manufacturer would make a road fork with disc tabs.

I was curious so I called ENVE and they said they're going to have a disk road fork, but they didn't give me a timeline for when it would be available.
I'm so rubbish at this.

austke

by austke

Hello all,
Sorry I havent read all of this thread yet, will when i get more time, but as a Tandem bicycle rider. Discs are safer for me than rim brakes. Because rim brakes cause tire blowouts very easily on a tandem, because of extra weight than a single bicycle. Discs in our experience have only ever caused the brakes to lock on, not fade. And only until they cool down again.

I have No experience with how they will work on a single road bike obviously.
just my 2c worth.

austke
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Being one of those people who have had a rear tire blow up on a high speed descent due to overheating (and luckily walking away, minus a lot of skin though) I think discs would be really nice for safety. The Colnagos look stunning and more interesting than their non c59 counterparts. The blue and white one on the colnago site yummy (but with EPS please) :P

I have trouble seeing the purpose for pro riders though as they know how to descend and dont need discbrakes or heavier bikes. If you are a light rider who knows how to brake and thus not overheat your equipment you dont need or want this.
For the rest of us we would really only need it going down large mountain descents... and only if the design did not stop working due to disc overheating... So when´it works better than a rim brake I might want one for the mountains.... Since I ride in the mountains maybe one week per year I dont think I would use what a c59 disc with EPS would cost on a climbing bike being use 7 days per year...

Still I think it will be the norm in less than 5 years time.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie