Lightweight Meilenstein

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ers-33364/

So are Carbonsports indirectly admitting that heat build-up on Standard-C's is in fact a problem, or that the brake surfaces wear out? If not, 100g is a lot to add (10%) for a problem that doesnt need addressing.

Having a pair of Standard C's on order and expecting delivery within a week or so, you could say I have a vested interest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmh

by cmh

Interesting...I've had zero problems with heat buildup on mine and I use them on some pretty long/steep descents. 7% for 11+ miles with peaks in the 10-12% are regular. Two years now and they're great. :noidea: My only real complaint is mounting a tire on them can be a process in pain and cursing.

claus

by claus

! mounting a tire on them can be a process in pain and cursing.

Which tyre do you use? I mounted Continental GP4000S and was shocked how easy it was -- how could the tyre stay on the rim if there was no force necessary to get them on? The inner diameter of the tyre seems to be bigger than the outer diameter of the rim.

BTW: so far I don't have any problems wrt braking either; maybe those enhancements are for people who are closer to the weight limit?

cmh

by cmh

Interesting...I use Vittoria and they're not fun to mount. :noidea: Otherwise that's my only issue and I can certainly live with it.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted quote. PP

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have them for 2 years now too.
And ok it's not an all day wheelset.
But in combination with th eLightweigth brakepads, I haven't had any problems so for.
Brakepads are good, don't wear wvery much.
And I've done big mountain rides like L aMarmotte with them too.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

No issues with my Standard C's so far, but confidence-inspiring good sense upgrades can never be a bad thing for £3k+ wheels - I'd gladly swap mine for the 100g penalty of a better wheel.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Rich-Ti wrote:I'd gladly swap mine for the 100g penalty of a better wheel.
Maybe they should be called NotSoLightweights.

kavitator

by kavitator

more details on new techonolgy used in new wheels

in SLOVENIAN language ...i hope google trasnlate will do the job

http://kavitec.blogspot.com/2012/03/oci ... -tudi.html

gumgardner

by gumgardner

New technology is heavy

JourneyLightly

by JourneyLightly

Where can you buy Lightweights in the US? There aren't any "premium dealers" listed for the US on their website, and I haven't had luck searching on Google either.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

go to the "contact" section on thier website and they have a U.S. VP. He responds to email pretty quickly and is VERY HELPFULL (he has been for me).

There dosen't seem to be any offical (LBS) dealers. They just seem to contact the LBS and work is out. (that is what I had to do, at least)

Good luck. :D
Last edited by carbon2329 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

claus

by claus

Wrench Science has them on their website. Be prepared to spend a huge amount of money...

BTW: when I searched for them, I found a few more dealers in the USA.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

My only thought is that a set of Enve 45 clinchers with Tune 150 & 45 hubs & cx-ray spokes will run about.....

1290gm (amd maybe 1280 even) so.... I start to wonder...

Don't get me wrong, I think they are great wheels, but with some of their reparability and accessability issues adding weight is making them less of a "Lighweight" wheel. Which is thier main draw.

I know they are "great wheels" but thier name is Lightweight........

(and yes that is a pretty light clincher, but it isn't what is used to be, when I can get an enve set just about the same weight)

I'm not trying to be overly critical, I'm just putting their pros (weight, ride quality) along side thier cons(accessabiblity, and repairability....and yes thay can be repaired, but you will have to mail them somewhere and it will take some time..in the U.S. at least)

And don't get me wrong, I am planning on getting some Obermayers, soon. :D

(and I have to admit, that is a very light clincher for a wheelset that can carry a "clydesdale" rider...but with disc brakes all this will be "moot")(not that I like the idea of disc brakes either)
Last edited by carbon2329 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Your same argument could be applied to the tubulars as well. Similar or even heavier than a comparable set of Enve's laced up with a light hub. They may not be as stiff, so be it....they will likely be close to twice the cost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Cyclelife USA in Washington, DC sells Carbonsports wheels and can get them.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike