Blue Norcross SL vs Ridley X-ride

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

captainclarko

by captainclarko

I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Blue Norcross SL Frameset for a fair price. I am riding a 2009 Ridley X-Ride right now which fits me well and has no problems other than being a bit heavier than I would like and has a 68mm BB instead of a BB30 shell. I bought the frameset after being used as a B-bike for a racer with two X-Fires so it was a good deal and I didn't explore other options. I just wanted a cheap cross bike.

Here is my question: Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? I also have the options of a raleigh RXC pro or a Specialized Crux frameset for roughly the same price. My alternative is sticking with my Ridley and saving my money for a future project. I am getting the upgrade itch and this looks like a fun bike, but I'd like some validation before I make the leap to a new frameset.

Any opinions would be helpful.
Thanks.

rockdude

by rockdude

If I had to pick from the bikes you listed it would be the Crux. When I looking at a bike, fit first, Geometry second, weight a very far third. everything else is hype. The Crux has a good geo in IMO.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

May not be relevant to this discussion, but I note that Mud And Cowbells had some news from QBP's annual Frost Bike dealer expo on both the X-Ride and X-Fire, reporting that the X-Ride will be available in both canti and disc and the X-Fire will be offered as a disc only version for the 2012/2013 season.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

captainclarko

by captainclarko

ms6073 wrote:May not be relevant to this discussion, but I note that Mud And Cowbells had some news from QBP's annual Frost Bike dealer expo on both the X-Ride and X-Fire, reporting that the X-Ride will be available in both canti and disc and the X-Fire will be offered as a disc only version for the 2012/2013 season.

I was at FB on Sunday and they had the X-Fire in a few build specs (as well as the new X-Night which is absolutely stunning) but I seem to recall a canti-version. Now that you bring that up, perhaps an X-Fire frameset is what I should be looking towards for cross season. There are too many options and too much time to think during the winter.

bones

by bones

Don't become obsolete. Get the one with disc brakes.