NEW PROJECT - 2012 CANNONDALE supersix project - help please

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stuartrav

by stuartrav

My Token TK2341 skewers have arrived and weigh in at 35g which is 1.5g under weight, result!

Have you any plans for further weight reduction? I am tempted by some form of lightweight expander plug such as the Tune gum gum or extralite ultrastar 2 that someone else posted about in this thread but neither appear to be for sale in UK.
Attachments
TK2341.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Thanks for your comments! keep um coming!

I had to return the KCNC Ti QR's as it turns out id been sent the wrong ones! MTB ones rather than Road ones which are lighter so need to get that weighed and my figures amended along with the 7900 front mech.

just set up the 7900 front mech and i must say it is a peach!

I too looked into the FSA Compressor as a area to save weight, ive not weighed it but im guessing about 50g. but as you say the few alternatives out there are not easy to buy in the UK. Also they looked frankly dangerous! FSA and Cannondale do not recommend using anything else within the carbon fork! So im giving that area a miss...

Im still waiting on more suggestions from you guys! so please; bring it on!?

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Just a little update on this bike build now I've stopped messing with it and ridden it.

I decided to build a supersix after building a caad9 for winter work (it gets ridden a lot due to the amount of rain we seem to get!) the caad9 felt just so alive and fast compared to the carbon synapse I the. Had for a summer ride (using same r-SYS wheels). So I decided a switch to the carbon version of the caad9 rather than the synapse was the way to go.

Both bikes are great (synapse/ SS) but back to back the supersix is better handling and stiffer in the BB (the slk cranks came off the synapse too). It is a big complement to the caad9 that the SS feels the same, except the caad9 does crash over poor road surface (we have lots of that here) so much so it can kick you off line at high speed, the SS numbs this right off and hold the line better. You can relax more.

The build. I'm very happy with all my choices for build, and really thankful for advice given here. Best investments on this build;

Brakes. The zero gravity brakes were a big risk, a bit of thought in the setting up, and they are not quite as good as dura ace but they are more than good enough for me 77kg and are very very light!

Seatpost. The ritchey seatpost is very good value bought off eBay, saved a massive amount of weight and is very well made, very easy to adjust and is stiff.

Using dura ace SRAM force mix. This seems to work just fine, the rear mech/ chain/ cassette still makes quite a lot of noise just running along, not changing any gears, I'd like to know how to sort this as I can't help but feel that the rear mech/ chain length is wrong. Anyhow the shifting is really good, again not quite as good as shimano but very close and the weight saved for the cost was fantastic and well worth the change.

Kcnc. The kcnc QRs and seat clamp have been really good (could not hack it on my AM MTB and had to revert). Very well made, acceptable price, great weight.

Not so good:

The bb30 cranks creak, I've been given some advice about the metal and plastic spacers which I need try.

The super logic bar is not that siff, noticeably flexy under big load, so a little worried about that, very very light though!

Still dreaming about doing more to the bike to make it lighter, I'd need

Aliante braided carbon
SRAM red or DA cassette
Lighter pedals
Lighter wheels
Maybe tune the rear mech some how
Obviously getting an super six HM or super six evo frame would help! That ain't gonna happen

Might go for a ride on her now.......

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Back from the ride, cleaned the bike and have actually shaved some more weight off for free!

Tuned the fizik Aliante Kium saddle. !

I'm amazed I didn't think of this before, or had been mentioned to me:

The saddle has chrome scuff guards under the nose and on each cheak at the back, the checks are held in with 3 screws each and the nose by one, they preform no function to keeping the leather (might not actually be leather) cover on, and I don't plan to scratch the bike up and walls any time soon, so seems legit to remove.

Total weight of the three plastic parts and the seven screws : 26g!

Result! Knocked the saddle weight down from 256g to 230g thats 10%! For free!

Try if yourself.

stuartrav

by stuartrav

How is the BB / crank? Is it still creaking? My crank creaked and was found to be faulty so was replaced frew of charge under warranty.

I have decided to stop the spending for the moment to get the bike weight down and instead concentrate on getting fitter to go faster. Its going well at the moment as I can average 20 mph now for at least 50 miles. Still a long way to go though!

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

The bb30 slk cranks came from my synapse. I've just taken them off and reorganised the metal crimpled ring and grey plastic rings so it now goes;

plastic metal plastic

Seems a bit better. Thinking the rest of the creaking is coming from a combination of the bars and front wheel....

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

50 miles @ 20mph... Must be flat, any 50 miles round here would include 2-3000 metres of climbing! And 17mph is good....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

I'm keen to take more weight off!

Lizard skins bar tape ll knock about 50g off but I'm worried about my wrists. They are not very reliable.

Very pleased with my 26g loss to the Aliante kium but could still go for a braided carbon one

Kcnc chain ring bolts might trim a few grams, anyone know if it's worth it on 2010 SLKs?

Can I tune either the force rear mech, or 7900 front? I think the 7900 FM has ti bolts as standard...