50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BmanX

by BmanX

sales7@farsports.cn is the email address that I have been using and have been getting responses within hours of send them. We emailed back and forth last night. They are in China so try emailing later in the afternoon which has been working for me. So far they have been amazing with the information and replies.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

eric

by eric

BmanX wrote:I

At $675 this will save me $200+ over the Flo wheels I was going to buy but more importantly (for me) it will save 600g off the wheelset.

The Far Sports are probably not as aero as the Flo wheels. The shape looks closer to the older V style cross section like Reynolds. I don't know if Far Sports has done any wind tunnel testing but I'm sort of doubting that they have. I'm ok with that. If I was in to TTs I'd get the Flos. But I'm not; I am in to climbing big mountains.

I have a set of the low profile tubular wheels (claimed to be around 1000g) and a set of 50mm clincher rims on the way. I'm going to build the rims up on a set of White H1 hubs that are in wheels that I no longer use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Well I did get the Flo's for racing this year but they would not arrive on time and with my back the way it is, I will not be racing either. So for now the 50mm wheels being a V shaped aero wheel will be more than fine. These will be for one of the bikes just not sure which one they will go one. I also have a pair of EDGE 45's for the SLC.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

VeloBoy

by VeloBoy

These are very interesting wheels. I saw that they had 3-4 different hub options. I'm not familiar with any of the hubs. Does anyone know the quality and have any recommendations? The hubsmith's are the lightest, but do they roll well and make a stiff wheel?

Dammit

by Dammit

I've put about 50 miles on mine, so not really qualified to answer that yet- initial impressions are that they roll very nicely, and the wheels are very stiff.

BmanX

by BmanX

Just received a call from them which I think is pretty amazing since I am in Canada and they are in China. Good thing is that I have been up since 5am so when they called at 6:10 I was already up and working.

So far they seem to have really good Customer Service. I am just finishing my tax return and it looks like I will be gets the wheels on order soon.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Imaking20

by Imaking20

sales3 was the way to go for me!

I've been in contact with Hu a few times now - the complete wheels he's quoted are for the FSC-50CM with Bitex hubs at ~1363g/set. I suppose I should ask about the "light" version of the rims? Not that those weights are unreasonable :)

And as far as Hubsmith vs Bitex - I understand the Hubsmith are lighter... but I don't know much else about them. I find a little comfort in knowing that there are American suppliers who use the Bitex with good success (like Boyd).

eric

by eric

VeloBoy wrote:These are very interesting wheels. I saw that they had 3-4 different hub options. I'm not familiar with any of the hubs. Does anyone know the quality and have any recommendations? The hubsmith's are the lightest, but do they roll well and make a stiff wheel?

Bitex make the hubs that BikeHubStore sells as Superlight/Ultralight hubs. I have a set of those and they are good hubs for the price. The one problem is the rear hub's DS flange spacing is not as wide as it could be (although its slightly better than some well-regarded hubs like DT) so the resulting wheel is not as laterally stiff as it could be. That may or may not be an issue for you depending on your riding style.

I took a chance and ordered the Hubsmith hubs without knowing anything about them purely because I wanted the wheels to come in at under 1kg. One advantage of using the Bitex is that you can get parts (like freehub bodies) from BHS here in the US.

warthog11

by warthog11

Rokkala wrote:Oh, also forgot to mention that they seem to be surprisingly tough. I double pinch flatted when going down a new descent, the road turned into potholes and bumps all over and I smacked a big one at 20+mph and continued on over the bone shaking road for another 50m.

Fully expected them to be wrecked, but there were no cracks or gouges at all.

Hi Rokkala, those wheels sound good. Do you have link for where you got them?

cep111

by cep111

Here is the wheel website

http://www.farsports.cn/Product.aspx?id=34

off subject but I wonder what just the rims sell for by themselves?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

~$180/ea

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Wow, good find! I'm curious to see how they hold up in bad weather and sidewinds.
Ride it like you stole it

warthog11

by warthog11

cep111 wrote:Here is the wheel website

http://www.farsports.cn/Product.aspx?id=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that

Has anyone tried these?

I already have some token 85mm tubulars and would like clinchers next time.

paulkilroy

by paulkilroy

Are they a faring or a solid carbon wheel?

Are they toroidal or V shaped?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

V-shaped.

Although, supposedly, they're soon going to be releasing a new (torrodial, ZIPP's old formerly patented) shape. I remember spotting a drawing posted from one of the companies. It was either Farsports or some other one, I forget.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.