Tricksters wanted / or a buddy living in the EU

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

redoaker

by redoaker

Can't buy Gaerne sox from CRC.com or anyone else in the EU.
Gaerne protects the EU territory and won't let anyone ship to the U.S.

GaerneShoes.com in the U.S. can't import the socks from the EU. GaerneShoes.com DOES have some generic socks with the "G" Gaerne on the cuff. But they are no where near as cool as what EU cyclists get to buy.

So, anyone know how to 'game the system' at Chainreactioncycles and have these items shipped to the U.S.? Anyone out there who actually does it.
I've heard of guys using some trick to get PBK.com to ship restricted items to the U.S.

Failing any tricks, anyone in the EU willing to help out? I could easily send pymnt and you could ship to me.
CRC.com ships free to the UK. Of course you guys have to pay VAT.

any help would be appreciated

PJCM

by PJCM

Check out an international parcel forwarding provider such as forward2me.com. They provide you with a UK address and will forward your parcel on. This is a common workaround nowadays for territorial sales restrictions.

Might be expensive for low value items like socks but nonetheless an option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

PJCM wrote:Check out an international parcel forwarding provider such as forward2me.com. They provide you with a UK address and will forward your parcel on. This is a common workaround nowadays for territorial sales restrictions.

Can I use this to get a Canyon?? Tempting!!

redoaker

by redoaker

PJCM wrote:Check out an international parcel forwarding provider such as forward2me.com. They provide you with a UK address and will forward your parcel on. This is a common workaround nowadays for territorial sales restrictions.

Thanks for the suggestion. This community is full of great problem solvers.

Really would like to hear any info from people manipulating the CRC site. Maybe registering your account with a UK address and then changing the shipping address at check out time??? Has anyone made that attempt in the past?

Omiar

by Omiar

Well, I do buy regulariliy stuff from ebay for my friends. But I'm not in UK, the shipping prices in total would make things way overpriced.
For small items places like forward2me.com are totally ok. We frequently us such services in US to get things here.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

kgt

by kgt

Why so obsessed with Gaerne? Have you tried Vittoria?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The other option is to get a forumite to get them shipped to themselves and then forwarded on (in new packaging - non commercial) as a gift....less taxation risk at border, minimal cost and hassle.

A Friend did this to buy a Boardman bike at EU prices via France rather than through the sole UK supplier.

Simon
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

redoaker

by redoaker

kgt wrote:Why so obsessed with Gaerne? Have you tried Vittoria?

I just don't dig the Vittorias, but thank you for the suggestion.

redoaker

by redoaker

TheRookie wrote:The other option is to get a forumite to get them shipped to themselves and then forwarded on (in new packaging - non commercial) as a gift....less taxation risk at border, minimal cost and hassle.

A Friend did this to buy a Boardman bike at EU prices via France rather than through the sole UK supplier.

Simon

yes, excellent idea.

ianeire

by ianeire

How many socks are you thinking of buying? I'm in Dublin and order a lot from CRC - free delivery. Certainly, if you're willing to forward the cost of postage and package I have no problem sending them on. Understandably, my post count is low and I'm not long on here, so that may sway your decision. But none the less, the offer is on the table just as long as it's not going to be a mega-size order !

Ian

redoaker

by redoaker

Hi Ian,
I'm talking about (3) pairs, tops. PayPal covers both parties so I'm not worried about anything.
I don't want to post my e-mail address on this Thread so i will try and send you a PM. Not sure if you can see PM's since your post count is so low.
I'll give it a go.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Redoaker, there is a link to your email address at the bottom of every post you make...

redoaker

by redoaker

crohnsy wrote:Redoaker, there is a link to your email address at the bottom of every post you make...

:oops: :lol: that's hilarious! DOH!

Omiar

by Omiar

I frequently buy things from US, Asia and Europe to my friends. I can also do it the other way, buy from EU and send outside.
Shipping prices to me are usually 10-30 euros for parts and clothes. Frames and complete bikes I would have to confirm first. The things I don't like is problems with shipping, so I won't use the cheapest way when sending overseas.
For bigger shipments or group buy's I could do it VAT free.
Last edited by Omiar on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I would be happy to forward stuff on to people, had a couple of friends do that for me when I was in Australia last year. Just PM me if you want. Happy to do it for others as well as no doubt I will be asking for someone to do it for me at some point :wink:

VAT is 20% just now, so it does make a pretty big difference to the prices, guess it's up to you to work out if you will be better or worse off!