How I know that Assos is a total rip.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Having checked CC's site, all I can see heavily discounted is old stock, something that is not uncommon across the retail sector in general.

Having used all manner of different brands over the last 30 years, I have to say Assos shorts & tights at least are the best - for me.

As for selling it at full RRP, we do it all day long where I work. Same for Capo, Craft & Rapha.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

ultimobici wrote:Having checked CC's site, all I can see heavily discounted is old stock, something that is not uncommon across the retail sector in general.

Having used all manner of different brands over the last 30 years, I have to say Assos shorts & tights at least are the best - for me.

As for selling it at full RRP, we do it all day long where I work. Same for Capo, Craft & Rapha.

+1,000,000,000

Having been in the sport of cycling for a long time I can say you get what you pay for! Yes, probably a little overspriced but the quality is top notch. After ten years of buying Sale, Lesser Priced Items I have decided to stick with Assos.

buikpijn

by buikpijn

Ever wondered why sidi cycle shoes are relative more expensive than their motorcycle boots?

bones

by bones

buikpijn wrote:Ever wondered why sidi cycle shoes are relative more expensive than their motorcycle boots?

Yeah, they are a rip too. People that pay way more for luxury items have the it's-the-best-shiznit-ever effect after buying their overpriced luxury item. It's true! There is a direct correlation between price and positive buyer review.

billspreston

by billspreston

The value of Assos/Rapha comes up monthly on this board. Here is my experience:

- Had some $150 Pearl Izumi bibs that lasted 1 season.
- Have some $200 Asssos bibs that have lasted 3 seasons and still going strong.
- Cost to ride in PI bibs for 3 seasons: $450
- Cost to ride Assos bibs for 3 seasons: $200

- Had $150 Castelli bibs and $120 Castelli jeresey I crashed on and had to trash
- Had $200 Assos bibs and $180 Assos jersey I crashed on and had repaired for free by Assos
- Money wasted crashing in Castelli: $270
- Money wasted crashing in Assos: $0

These are just a few small examples. The point I'm trying to make is that I've actually saved a good chunk of money by riding Assos over brands that cost marginally less. All this while riding items that offer, arguably, the best fit and comfort in the industry.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

My main gripe with assos is that their clothing fades extremely quick. Your black bibs are going to be charcoal just after a few months. Some other brands (castelli, giordana, craft and so on) do also fade, but not as fast as that.

But thumps up for their customer service. I sent my AirJack jacket two weeks ago because the zipper was broken. I sent it on Monday, received it on Thursday with a brand new Opti zipper free of charge (I live in Switzerland though).

Ooh and I forgot something : I wish they would use RiRi zippers. Riri is located just a few kilometers away from Stabio (in Mendrisio). You cannot claim to be the Prada Sport of cycling and offer low-end zippers.

LongSlowDistance

by LongSlowDistance

carbon2329 wrote:
I have to say the new Pearl Izumi Pro shorts (the ones that were or are worn by team Garmin) that have that additional material to make them longer and the jersey is VERY FITTED are:

Garmin wears Castelli since their merger with Cervelo

I agree with the OP above that you get what you pay for. Just get it on sale, but don't order it in MY size!

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I have had some zipper issues as well, but nothing major.

I have purchased almost all of my Assos clothing on sale and from the previous season (so months in advace of the season) and there for not payed more that Castelli, Pearl, etc...

My only complait with Assos is that I wish they would make the shorts longer.

I seems, practically every pro short is long (when you look at photos) and every short in retail is WAAAAAY short. (I am 5'11 tall, so not that tall)
Last edited by carbon2329 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Quote:
"Garmin wears Castelli since their merger with Cervelo"

Yes....The kit earlier (the one in the photo below :D )
Attachments
2010-garmin-transitions-holowesko-pearl-izumi-01_1.jpg

Rick

by Rick

I bought some Assos shorts once....suckered into the "but high quality" marketing...They lasted exactly two rides before the seam in the chamois ripped out.

I am always glad to pay more for a truly superior product, but I won't pay any extra for "brand name mystique"
Then, I resent the marketing tactics of brands that have ridiculous prices KNOWING that everyone will actually buy it at closeout for at least 60% off.

Pearl Izumi is always a good bet for quality.

My favorite stuff (bibs, bib knickers) is consistently the house label brand at PBK.

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Assos Airblock Jacket now over 10yrs old, washed regularly with everything else! its not stretched, not ripped, hardly bobbled and all zips perfect!! if I EVER buy cheap I always end up buying TWICE!! stopped buying cheap cycling kit a couple of years after I took up the sport which was 21 years ago. :)

uraqt

by uraqt

Bones
Yeah, they are a rip too. People that pay way more for luxury items have the it's-the-best-shiznit-ever effect after buying their overpriced luxury item. It's true! There is a direct correlation between price and positive buyer review.

This is all about perceived value.... I have the perception that my 15+ year old sidi were cheap............. cost per mile they were free....

If you are just talking about cost, how to you factor in the value of the perfect fix... ??? I have no idea... but I do know that when ever there is a pair of NOS sidi in my size on ebay I will be bidding, the question is how many back ups do you keep around.

There are many people on this site that have NOS saddles, cleats, pedals... I really think if you use the product every day and you feel/know there is not a better choice... then no price is too high to have the "perfect" fit/solution...

to argue with "here is a direct correlation between price and positive buyer review" the last gen BMW M5 has had some really bad reviews and 100,000 is a lot to spend for a car no matter how much $ you have...

wingguy

by wingguy

Rick wrote:I bought some Assos shorts once....suckered into the "but high quality" marketing...They lasted exactly two rides before the seam in the chamois ripped out.

Well obviously that sucks, but equally as obviously that is a defective pair of shorts (and any company will miss the odd one) that should not be used to judge Assos as a brand. Warranty them, receive free new ones, and judge those. Cyclists, even the rich ones, aren't all complete idiots and wouldn't be buying Assos for half the price if it didn't stay in one piece from one end of the driveway to the next.

I am always glad to pay more for a truly superior product, but I won't pay any extra for "brand name mystique"
Then, I resent the marketing tactics of brands that have ridiculous prices KNOWING that everyone will actually buy it at closeout for at least 60% off.

I'm sorry but that's simply not true. If the cycling industry knew that people would only buy Assos on 60% closeout then not a single retailer in the world would stock it - they'd lose money on every sale. A lot of money. Assos is in the same range of % margin for the shop as every other clothing brand in the sport - and like most other prestige brands it'll be at the lower end of that range. There's almost certainly a greater markup on your PBK specials.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

ultimobici wrote:Having checked CC's site, all I can see heavily discounted is old stock, something that is not uncommon across the retail sector in general.

Agreed. I don't mind paying full price. That helps keep my beloved brick and mortar bike shop open. I've ridden gear by just about everyone in my years of cycling. Assos is far far better, for me, than anything I've worn.
Colnago e Campagnolo

bones

by bones

Rick wrote:I bought some Assos shorts once....suckered into the "but high quality" marketing...They lasted exactly two rides before the seam in the chamois ripped out.

Pearl Izumi is always a good bet for quality.

My favorite stuff (bibs, bib knickers) is consistently the house label brand at PBK.

Welcome to the "I-don't-believe-the-hype" club. I had the same experience with an Assos shorts before with regards to their stitching, but I just chalked it up to a one-off thing. Like you, I also like Pearl Izumi. There are other brands that are as good or better than Assos for alot less money. Italian brands tend to be all marketing. And for the most part, that's why you see the real riders on something other than Assos, because they know. They know. They know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com