How I know that Assos is a total rip.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bones

by bones

How do I know that Assos is a total rip? How do I know? Let me tell you.

I get emails from Colorado Cyclist every week about their half-off deals for Assos. Yes, weekly people. Weekly. Who can sell this stuff? I don't know. Even the haughty, taughty, nose-uppity-in-the air bike shops of the world can't sell Assos at retail price. I mean, seriously. Is there a bike shop in Hollywood? I bet they can't even sell Assos at full retail. And even the 1/2 off Assos sales are a total rip.

PS - I'm not dogging on Colorado Cyclist. I love their email ads and get stuff time to time. And the Colorado Cyclist models are all hot too.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

bones wrote:Is there a bike shop in Hollywood?

There's a few. Not the most expensive part of town though, kinda low-end for rent actually. Shitty neighborhoods n'all, sketchy residents and opportunists. Drugs, people trying to "make it," people who usually come from the midwest in hopes of "being discovered" or rubbing elbows with "stars" and so forth, over-dressing and looking a bit trashy in the end as Scientologists in navy blue slacks attempt to convert them to a religion based on aliens and a "stress test."

bones wrote:I bet they can't even sell Assos at full retail.

Not many shops carry Assos on the rack though. Some stores in more posh-neighborhoods are able to sell DeMarchi, Rapha, and other posh-tastic cloth at retail and then some.

:mrgreen:

But I do agree with you.
Last edited by prendrefeu on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I have not found a bib more comfortable than the Assos. Why aren't I on that email list?!

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I can't say how the industry works but,....

It does seem like every shop (online or LBS) who has assos seems to just stock it until the season is past then sells it at discount because the season(summer, spring,etc...) is over and the "NEW" stuff is in.....then is starts all over again.

I have Assos clothing, but I would NEVER pay full price. You can always get is for at least 25% and usually 40%-%50 off, an sometimes more.

My last buy was an Assos SS.13 Short Sleeve, type of jersey:
LBS price was =$299 (plus tax)
Colorado Cyclist=$79.99 (no tax & free shipping) :thumbup:

(I bought it in the winter so it was the previouse summer season model...The LBS still has the full line in the shop)

I really like to support the LBS( I really do), but it's hard to pay that much extra.

P.S. Colorado cyclist does the best deals I have seen on Assos & Campagnolo.

bones

by bones

carbon2329 wrote:
My last buy was an Assos SS.13 Short Sleeve, type of jersey:
LBS price was =$299 (plus tax)
Colorado Cyclist=$79.99 (no tax & free shipping) :thumbup:

Aha! You see! It's true! Assos is overpriced. It's just a sales tactic really. Go into any furniture store. There are always sales. The full retail price is NEVER the actual real price. It is just some wildly over-inflated price to give the buyer the illusion that he is getting an awesome, great, sales deal when he is buying something half off. When in reality, the half-off price is probably the actual intended price to begin with.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

No, not a rip off. You just need to join the Assos équipe campionissimo http://www.equipecampionissimo.com/en/3 ... rship.aspx . Then the world will be your oyster.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

QUOTE:
"""Aha! You see! It's true! Assos is overpriced. It's just a sales tactic really. Go into any furniture store. There are always sales. The full retail price is NEVER the actual real price. It is just some wildly over-inflated price to give the buyer the illusion that he is getting an awesome, great, sales deal when he is buying something half off. When in reality, the half-off price is probably the actual intended price to begin with.""""

I imagine there is a lot of business-statistics, marketing-stragety, consumer-trends, consumer philosophy, and truth to what you are saying.

In short, it is all part of THEIR business stratagy, I'm sure. It's not as if they don't know what is going on with there retailers. There not blind. It's all figured in. (creating an image,desire, and need for thier products)
No suprise.
Last edited by carbon2329 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

gumgardner wrote:I have not found a bib more comfortable than the Assos. Why aren't I on that email list?!

No joke. I'm heading straight to Colorado Cyclist! Need some more Uno bibs. By far the most comfortable I've worn.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

carbon2329

by carbon2329

You just have to wait for the right time and the deals will be there.

Happy Hunting :D

Cost or not..they really are very comfortable (for me, at least).

daryl1

by daryl1

I have worn so many expensive shorts incl assos ... in the end these $40 ones from pearl izumi are the most comfortable :?

carbon2329

by carbon2329

daryl1 wrote:I have worn so many expensive shorts incl assos ... in the end these $40 ones from pearl izumi are the most comfortable :?

I have to say the new Pearl Izumi Pro shorts (the ones that were or are worn by team Garmin) that have that additional material to make them longer and the jersey is VERY FITTED are:

VERY NICE & ACUTALLY LONG ENOUGH for us tall skinny guys.

I wear them the most now, because I don't look like I'm wearing girl-"short-shorts".

BUT THOSE ARE NOT $40 (they are about $150-$200 in my area)

My club used them and I wore them excusivly for two years..... then they switched becase too many guys cried becase they had to order a XL instead of a Medium Jersey, because they are so tight in the stomach. (who care whe the size is, as long as they fit, :roll: )

I was just gald to have something that was long enough in the leg and a jersey that didn't "flap-in-the-wind" like a sail.

Sorry, if this is OT.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Thank you for the heads up - I've just signed up for Colorado cyclist's newsletter.

Cheers,
I

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Assos Airblock makes winter riding much more bearable for me. Nothing i have tried is better when it is wet and cold.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

we sell assos (and some other brands) at retail. like any other brand, at the end of the season, certain pieces that are not carrying over are put on sale. it doesnt happen to assos product any more than the other brands. if anything, there's better sell-through with their stuff.
there is no extra margin in assos clothing that allows someone to cut a higher percentage of the price off. some places occasionally get a deal on overstocks, etc. some places (mostly mail-order) are just set up to make much, much less per item. most quality shops with high rent, educated, long-term staff, health care, etc, cannot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SL58

by SL58

Assos Airblock makes winter riding much more bearable for me. Nothing i have tried is better when it is wet and cold.

You just haven't tried XC skiing specific stuff from CRAFT of Sweden.
Seriously, this overpriced garbage makes me reminiscing about times when the only people
in town who rode bikes were homeless folks and me.